Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Modern Tourney vs unused decade-old Deore derailleurs?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 03-29-21, 03:07 AM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Do the group set standards evolve in line with technology development so that they eventually surpass their superior counterparts from the past?
Or does Shimano keep the technology tiers consistent by design?

Can a 2020 Tourney derailleur shift as well or better than 2005~2010 Deore derailleur for example?
Old 03-29-21, 11:25 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
Do the group set standards evolve in line with technology development so that they eventually surpass their superior counterparts from the past?
Or does Shimano keep the technology tiers consistent by design?

Can a 2020 Tourney derailleur shift as well or better than 2005~2010 Deore derailleur for example?
If you are talking about shifters and derailleurs, there has really not been much improvement over the years, other than changes in configurations of rings and cassette ranges. A new Tourney is not going to shift any better than a 10-15 year old Deore, and the materials are going to be better on the Deore.

I'd rather have a 15 year old Deore (assuming the condition was OK).
Old 03-29-21, 08:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
My old XT derailleur from the early to mid 90s is still going strong and shifts like a dream I hope it never dies which so far has held up for at least 24 years. Tourney is crap no matter what era. I would probably rather have the Deore as that might have been 9 speed or maybe even 10 speed which is a lot more quality than 6 or 7 in 2021 (which first came out in the 80s and was largely replaced in the 90s with 8 and 9 speed)
Old 03-30-21, 01:03 PM
CaptainPlanet

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I am considering whether to buy and mod a new entry level bike with a tourney on it or not. I was testing it and I wasn't able to feel the difference among it and altus/acera/alivio on my old bikes. It's been a while since I rode a bike with deore, mine's sitting in the parts bin right now.
Old 03-30-21, 04:40 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
My 2018 Giant Sedona comfort bike came with a 7 speed Tourney rear derailleur. I didn't have any problems with it until clumsy me stepped on it. It was replaced with a Altus Derailleur. This too is a low end unit but seems much more substantial.

I wouldn't expect it to be as good as older higher end derailleurs though. With just 7 speeds it probably isn't rocket science to design and build an inexpensive rear derailleur that is both durable and shifts well. At least not for Shimano. These guys have a knack for building low priced components that do exactly what's advertised. Perhaps that's one reason they are so popular with bike manufacturers.

For the recreational bike riding I do, I didn't consider high end components to be important. Given a choice I would probably choose higher performance parts, But the bike I wanted, For its bolt upright seating, 26" tires, Rim brakes, and 2" wide smooth riding tires came with a more basic level of components. Surprisingly the 3 x 7 speed Altus transmission works WAY better then it has any right to, And the cheap Tektro rim brakes stop me in the rain. No reason to upgrade!

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 03-31-21 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 03:37 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
I am considering whether to buy and mod a new entry level bike with a tourney on it or not. .
Why would you buy that level bike to “mod out” . Seems like throwing good money after bad. This is not like the old days where you would buy your mongoose California and replace every single part on it within six months
Likes For DMC707:
Old 03-31-21, 05:27 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3636 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
I agree. No reason to buy that stuff if you have a choice.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-07-21, 01:52 PM
CaptainPlanet

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Why would you buy that level bike to “mod out” . Seems like throwing good money after bad. This is not like the old days where you would buy your mongoose California and replace every single part on it within six months
Mostly because I already have the parts and I just need to put them on. Vitus Dee is pretty much what I am looking for even though the specs don't stand out.
Old 04-07-21, 05:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
"Technology" may trickle down, but not entirely. The tucked-in Shadow parallelogram has been moving down-market. Deore is still the lowest level with a clutch and all the clutch models are 10+ speeds.

Quality does not trickle down. The levels are sliced pretty thin but...
XT will get you mostly ano aluminum forgings, any steel parts plated or stainless
Deore will get you a mostly-metal assembly with powder coat or some other really tough paint on the some of the steel, some parts stainless, and a few aluminum forgings
Tourney is all galvanized stamped steel and injection molded plastic
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty: