Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New setup, Rear derailleur shifting issues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 08:53 AM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I am having issues with shifting the rear derailleur.
So new frame, swapped everything over from old frame. New cables and housing. It’s a 1x10, Shimano 105 setup, chain line is good. Had no issues at all on the old frame shifting, no adjustments needed when swapping wheels.
After I shift to lowest gears, I can’t shift from 1st to 2nd, it will drop from 1to 3 on the next shift.
If I adjust cable tension to upshift 1st to 2nd its fine, then downshifting through gears 5/4/3 suffers and I need that extra nudge to get the shift to complete.
I’ve tried new chain, swapping cassettes from my winter wheel, adjusting b screw, redoing cables to make sure no sharp bends, adjusted chain line in, nothing helps.
At a loss to do next. I’ve removed everything, reset h/l screws, swore at it, pleaded.
At this point all I can think of is
1. Hanger is crooked
2. Bent derailleur cage.
I lean towards 1 as new frame and never had issues before.
Any ideas?
Become reality to me
Old 04-06-21, 08:56 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Cable friction.

What about the cable routing is different? I hope your bike doesn't have internal routing as that will make dealing with this a lot more frustrating. Andy
Old 04-06-21, 09:14 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Why does it have to be one problem to the exclusion of all others? Remove the derailleur, align the hanger. It isn't rocket science. If you don't have the tool, take the bike to someone who does. Then disconnect the cable, reset the limit screws and test the cable for friction without the derailleur attached to the other end. You can feel it with your hands. And your limit screw setting will be more accurate without the cable making it more complicated. Just push the thing with your hand while you pedal through the gears. Jockey wheel aligns directly underneath the first cog, under the outside edge of the smallest cog. Satisfying that, attach the cable and adjust it for indexing. Finally, adjust the b-screw--looser if the jockey wheel is too close to the big cog, tighter if the shifting is too slow at the small-cog end.
Old 04-06-21, 09:58 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Could the chain line be an issue here?
Old 04-06-21, 09:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Why does it have to be one problem to the exclusion of all others? Remove the derailleur, align the hanger. It isn't rocket science. If you don't have the tool, take the bike to someone who does. Then disconnect the cable, reset the limit screws and test the cable for friction without the derailleur attached to the other end. You can feel it with your hands. And your limit screw setting will be more accurate without the cable making it more complicated. Just push the thing with your hand while you pedal through the gears. Jockey wheel aligns directly underneath the first cog, under the outside edge of the smallest cog. Satisfying that, attach the cable and adjust it for indexing. Finally, adjust the b-screw--looser if the jockey wheel is too close to the big cog, tighter if the shifting is too slow at the small-cog end.
This is a good point. However experience suggests cable friction causes this very problem often. Of course all other aspects need to be confirmed/corrected too. Just as all aspects need to be dealt with on each situation. If it was minor indexing chain rub in many cogs then hanger alignment would have been my initial thought. Andy
Old 04-08-21, 10:55 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Could the chain line be an issue here?
Good to bring up, running 105 with a single chainring, although I doubt it's causing this kind of rear shifting issues.