Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

collections in RWGPS

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

collections in RWGPS

Old 04-08-21, 06:32 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
collections in RWGPS

I am planning a loop in Iowa for summer. The new collection thing in RWGPS is good. You map out each day and then easily add stuff to a collection. Previously, this could be done with events, but it was awkward.

Here is the Iowa loop starting in Dubuque, still working on details.
https://ridewithgps.com/collections/...JvYsc3UeAdc5MA
Old 04-08-21, 08:51 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
This is pretty cool. Thanks for posting. I tried to put a bunch of gpx files from gravelmaps.com together for a bikepacking trip and RWGPS would not let unless I had the premium membership. I have the $50 version. Using your info I just put them all together in an instant. Awesome!!
Old 04-08-21, 01:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Your orange day in the Des Moines Metro really hits a bunch of the paved trails! Looking at it, you have a 120mi day starting in Panora and riding over the Trestle Bridge between Slater and Woodward, then heading back east to finish in Colo.
If you stick with that route, be aware that you routed thru some singletrack in the northern part of Des Moines. Its flat river bottom singletrack and the part that you selected isnt overly technical, but just be aware. Its circled in red.

An alternate option that would still be 100mi would be to ride from Perry to Waukee on the Raccoon River Valley Trail then stay on the RRVT and go north to Perry. At that point, its a handful of gravel road miles to connect to Woodward and the High Trestle Trail.
The RRVT is dead flat as its an old rail line trail. And the High Trestle is flat too. Once east of Slater you will be on an unpaved trail all the way to Maxwell.
Just mentioning this since it isnt always clear which trails are paved and which are hardpack rock.

Oh, and I wouldnt trust the elevation claim on RWGPS. Its notoriously short for reporting in most every place Ive ridden in Iowa. It wont be hilly by any means, but itll probably be over the 30'/mi RWGPS shows right now, even with all the rail trails factored in.
Old 04-08-21, 03:26 PM
IPassGas

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Your orange day in the Des Moines Metro really hits a bunch of the paved trails! Looking at it, you have a 120mi day starting in Panora and riding over the Trestle Bridge between Slater and Woodward, then heading back east to finish in Colo.
If you stick with that route, be aware that you routed thru some singletrack in the northern part of Des Moines. Its flat river bottom singletrack and the part that you selected isnt overly technical, but just be aware. Its circled in red.
Thanks for the information. The orange was an overlay of 2 or 3 overlapping days, we are staying overnight at a campground near the high trestle (swede or donkey whistles) and then heading for Cherry Glen CG for a night (a friend recommended it). After that Panora, and thanks, we will avoid the single track on some nearby road. Is the campground in Panora ok, Lenon Mills?
Old 04-09-21, 07:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by IPassGas
Thanks for the information. The orange was an overlay of 2 or 3 overlapping days, we are staying overnight at a campground near the high trestle (swede or donkey whistles) and then heading for Cherry Glen CG for a night (a friend recommended it). After that Panora, and thanks, we will avoid the single track on some nearby road. Is the campground in Panora ok, Lenon Mills?
Gotcha, I figured the colors showed each day's riding.
Ive been to Leon Mill Park once to kayak- and just remember it as a good county park...pretty similar to most county parks around here. It has showers, which is an obvious benefit.
Cherry Glen is a busy campsite on a really fun segment of paved trail. The northern 10 or so miles of trail that is squiggly before and after Cherry Glen is a fun section of small rollers under a canopy of trees. Just a neat segment of trail riding since trails are so commonly dead flat and straight.

And I just realized you are riding clockwise. I dont know why I assumed the route was counter-clock!
Old 04-09-21, 10:23 AM
IPassGas

Gotcha, I figured the colors showed each day's riding.
Ive been to Leon Mill Park once to kayak- and just remember it as a good county park...pretty similar to most county parks around here. It has showers, which is an obvious benefit.
Cherry Glen is a busy campsite on a really fun segment of paved trail. The northern 10 or so miles of trail that is squiggly before and after Cherry Glen is a fun section of small rollers under a canopy of trees. Just a neat segment of trail riding since trails are so commonly dead flat and straight.

And I just realized you are riding clockwise. I dont know why I assumed the route was counter-clock!
Thanks, yes right... clockwise (CW). Funny, I default to CW when planning an unknown route. That could be another thread I wonder if Australians tend to favor CCW. Will probably start this mid-June assuming covid is in check.
Old 04-09-21, 10:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by IPassGas
Thanks, yes right... clockwise (CW). Funny, I default to CW when planning an unknown route. That could be another thread I wonder if Australians tend to favor CCW. Will probably start this mid-June assuming covid is in check.
I wont argue with it, but why did you choose Iowa?
Old 04-09-21, 05:44 PM
IPassGas

Iowa is a place I have not toured. Many paved back roads with lower traffic and some longer trails that can be linked. A sufficient number of campgrounds. Small towns to pass through. I'm not a fan of the crowds, so will be touring during a non-ragbrai time.
Old 04-09-21, 06:53 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
You can actually still find small town restaurants in Iowa.
They seem to be a dying enterprise in the mid-west.
I rode for 70 miles in northern Missouri without finding on open restaurant.
Other places are suffering the same fate.