Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Escape Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant Escape Thread

Old 04-03-21, 06:56 PM
rut3556

Bikes: 2021 Giant Escape 2 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info., but I ended up buying a Topeak Explorer rack that will accommodate their quick disconnect bag. And yes, my bike is a disc model, as is the rack. It’s all installed and looks great!
Likes For rut3556:
Old 04-12-21, 03:07 AM
Mackowski

Bikes: Giant Escape 2, FELT QX75, Trek Marlin 8

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Accessories

Hi All
Only last week I've brought 2021 Giant Escape 2 disc. Want to get some mudguards, rear rack and a bag.
Totally my fault as should've researched it more but only noticed that the rear mudguard mount point (can't upload pics to the forum yet) is facing 'downwards?',have any of you came across that? I dont like fixed mudguards, rather get clip on ones, anyone can recommend?
As to the rack I'm thinking - Bontrager bike rack deluxe, I know its Trek owned but hoping it will fit Giant, any ideas?
Bag - Bontrager MIK utility trunk bag.
I like the idea of quick release that MIK provide. I've never used any similar systems, can anyone share their opinion on this?
Lovely ride in the snow this morning
Best
Mack
Old 04-12-21, 06:09 AM
Mackowski

Originally Posted by rut3556
Ok, thanks for the info., but I ended up buying a Topeak Explorer rack that will accommodate their quick disconnect bag. And yes, my bike is a disc model, as is the rack. It’s all installed and looks great!
Hi Phil
How's the bike?
What do you think about the tyres? I've had 700x25 on my old hybrid and jumping on the new bike with 700x38 makes the ride 'different', thinking about swapping tyres for, not sure yet, 32's or 28's maybe.
But to the point, How's the rack? Would you recommend? Also did you get a trunk bag with it? What model? And again, would you recommend?
Best
Mack
Likes For Mackowski:
Old 04-12-21, 08:32 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackowski
I like the idea of quick release that MIK provide. I've never used any similar systems, can anyone share their opinion on this?
I have the Topeak Explorer MTX rack and bag and I've found it all to be very high quality stuff. The bag slides easily in and out of the rack channel and the DXP version (bag) has fold-out panniers that are very useful as well. You can buy the racks and bags online or at any bike shop (doesn't have to be a Trek dealer).
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-12-21, 10:26 AM
rut3556

Originally Posted by Mackowski
Hi Phil
How's the bike?
What do you think about the tyres? I've had 700x25 on my old hybrid and jumping on the new bike with 700x38 makes the ride 'different', thinking about swapping tyres for, not sure yet, 32's or 28's maybe.
But to the point, How's the rack? Would you recommend? Also did you get a trunk bag with it? What model? And again, would you recommend?
Best
Mack
Hi Mack...Well, I've only put a few mikes on the bike, but so far I like it very much. And I agree, the "38" tires may take a little getting used to, especially having come from a Lemond Zurich. I'm leaning toward the "32s" myself. And as for the rack, I chose the Topeak due to it's compatibility with the QD bag, but unlike Hokiefyd below, I opted for the lesser offering without the integral panniers. I bought the rack from my LBS and the bag through Amazon. Aside from that, the other mods I've made were a mini tire pump, Ergon GP3 grips, Hafny bar end mirror, LED lights, Crank Bros. Stamp 1 pedals, and a speedo/bike computer etc.
Should I assume by your spelling of "tyre" that you're in England and not Mississippi? :-)

Best regards...Phil
Likes For rut3556:
Old 04-18-21, 09:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Check out my my escapes https://imgur.com/gallery/KvS2FjH

this bike us ******g sick. I even bought my brother one too. Check my aerobars 😝
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 04-19-21, 01:04 AM
Mackowski

Should I assume by your spelling of "tyre" that you're in England and not Mississippi? :-)

Best regards...Phil
[/QUOTE]

Hi Phil
Sorry for late reply, was out of action for a while. Yes! Oxford, England
OK, you convinced me, I've ordered Topeak rack and bag. And I like your grips!

Best
Mack
Likes For Mackowski:
Old 04-19-21, 10:56 AM
rut3556

>>And I like your grips!<<

Hi Mack...Yes, the grips are working out quite well, and were easy to install/adjust. And as for tyres, I've ordered a pair of "32s" along with the appropriate tubes. Will be installing them as soon as they arrive.
Likes For rut3556:
Old 04-25-21, 11:28 PM
Mackowski

And as for tyres, I've ordered a pair of "32s" along with the appropriate tubes. Will be installing them as soon as they arrive.

Hi. I went with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x28, pain to fit but rides well. Very happy with the Topeak bag. Still waiting for my new pedals. Will post some pics when all done.
Mack
Likes For Mackowski:
Old 05-09-21, 02:22 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
The wife and I decided to see where the only paved road through Palmer Park here in Co. Springs, CO. would come out on the other end. WOW this is one STEEP road, we worked our way up to the Overlook and I took 3 photo's to create a panoramic view, well kinda, LOL!

My 2021 Escape 3 Comfort at the overlook with Pikes Peak in the background.

View looking north.

View looking south.

Likes For bjjoondo:
Old 05-11-21, 12:34 PM
CBSOCAL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Escape 2

I am brand new and already created another thread in hybrid bikes then found this group, so my apologies if this is an incorrect way to post but wanted some feedback.

I tested a 2021 Escape 2 and loved the way it rode but want to make sure that it was the right bike for me before I parted with $700 on my first "real" bike purchase. I live in a hilly neighborhood and ride on mostly sidewalks, asphalt roads, and Decomposed Granite trails, and but very often go up and down curbs in the intersections, cut through grass patches and dirt in parks/fields, and occasionally on dirt trails with roots/ small rocks, etc... (Nothing crazy). I am 5'-7" 170 lbs if that needs to be taken into consideration.

I am also looking at a Giant Roam 2 but it is more expensive and I don't know if I need suspension. My main concern is buying the wrong bike and damaging it or having to deal with popped tires often. I don't know much about bikes and have only had cheap WalMart Mountain bikes before.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by CBSOCAL; 05-11-21 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-11-21, 01:02 PM
Mackowski

Originally Posted by bjjoondo
I took 3 photo's to create a panoramic view, well kinda, LOL!
Hi
Beautiful view, must've been a lovely ride. Nice bike/s.
Mack
Likes For Mackowski:
Old 05-14-21, 08:35 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by CBSOCAL
I am brand new and already created another thread in hybrid bikes then found this group, so my apologies if this is an incorrect way to post but wanted some feedback.

I tested a 2021 Escape 2 and loved the way it rode but want to make sure that it was the right bike for me before I parted with $700 on my first "real" bike purchase. I live in a hilly neighborhood and ride on mostly sidewalks, asphalt roads, and Decomposed Granite trails, and but very often go up and down curbs in the intersections, cut through grass patches and dirt in parks/fields, and occasionally on dirt trails with roots/ small rocks, etc... (Nothing crazy). I am 5'-7" 170 lbs if that needs to be taken into consideration.

I am also looking at a Giant Roam 2 but it is more expensive and I don't know if I need suspension. My main concern is buying the wrong bike and damaging it or having to deal with popped tires often. I don't know much about bikes and have only had cheap WalMart Mountain bikes before. Y

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
If your going to be going "over curbs", thru grass patches, dirt, trails with small routes, My recomendation would be to go for the Giant ROAM 2, The Escape is more a "flat bar ROAD bike", a bit of suspension for the type of roads and riding your looking at would be a "GOOD THING" to have and a slightly more aggressive tire tread on the ROAM would also be a asset and I feel you'd be happier in the end. In the "future" you might want to look into putting a MTB "Triple" crankset on it, with 22/32/44 for easier climbing especially for the steeper uphill climbs on "dirt trails"!! JMHO, YMMV, have a excellent day! The Roam Disc 4 is listed at $550, that's only $50 more than my Giant Escape 3 Comfort! FYI! Roam 4 Disc (2021) | Men Adventure bike | Giant Bicycles United States (giant-bicycles.com)

Last edited by bjjoondo; 05-14-21 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 05-24-21, 07:18 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Ive broken 3 giant escapes in 8 days. Must be some sort of record. First, I got hit by a car and the crank is ****ed. Second, I rode into the ground trying to chase some people, wheel is rubbing on the frame. That bike was a monster, my first bike as an adult at 18 years old. Going to miss her, really really dont want to put more money into her because ive put like 200 bucks into that old bike and its still kind of ******. Today I rode my brothers escape and the front disc brake randomly failed, bike shop bent it back with a screwdriver lol
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-07-21, 06:15 AM
mwatt65 

Bikes: Giant Escape Disc 1 Giant Revolt Pro 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I bought one last year to get me out of the house during lock down, at 55 years young it felt great to get out. I struggled to find anything to buy, then found a 2020 Giant escape disc 1, that I've put over 3000 miles on it the last year, I think its a great road bike, I started out doing 5 to 10 miles & now I do 25 to 35 miles a ride. Longest ride was 62 miles. Never felt the need to take it off road. I original wanted something greater & lighter, but it was me that needed to loose the 20lbs.Not the bike.
The cycling bug has got me pretty good now, 2 weeks ago I decided to upgrade a bit, picked up a Giant Revolt Advanced 2, hoping for a bit more comfort & speed, hoping to do my first 100 mile ride soon. Will that ride be on the Giant or Revolt remains to be seen.
Old 06-25-21, 01:15 PM
Cutsit

Bikes: Trek 700, Giant Escape 3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I bought a 2021 Escape 3 kind of on a whim as it was in stock. Love the bike but not happy with the gearing. I think I need more speed than the 14 tooth sprocket can give. Is it possible to easily swap a cassette with a 11 tooth top gear?
Old 06-25-21, 09:02 PM
ScreamingB

Bikes: Giant Escape 1 Disc

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Cutsit
I bought a 2021 Escape 3 kind of on a whim as it was in stock. Love the bike but not happy with the gearing. I think I need more speed than the 14 tooth sprocket can give. Is it possible to easily swap a cassette with a 11 tooth top gear?
I can relate. 14 is like a toy bike. I upgraded my Java foldie from 14-28/52T to 11-28/56T and the experience is awesome. I believe you can swap it out as long as you keep the same number of gears. Just did a search at Giant website, the escape 3 uses a freewheel, not a cassette, you can buy the DNP Epoch 11-28T freewheel which I installed in my Java foldie. I think DNP is the only manufacturer who makes 7 speed freewheel with 11.

Last edited by ScreamingB; 06-25-21 at 09:12 PM. Reason: quote
Likes For ScreamingB:
Old 06-25-21, 09:13 PM
mwatt65 

Bikes: Giant Escape Disc 1 Giant Revolt Pro 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I just upgraded to a 9 speed 11-32 cassette, haven't been out yet to see if its any quicker.
Likes For mwatt65:
Old 06-25-21, 09:16 PM
ScreamingB

Originally Posted by mwatt65
I just upgraded to a 9 speed 11-32 cassette, haven't been out yet to see if its any quicker.
You'll have more room to pedal especially going downhill, thus you'll go faster. On flat road, you need to have strong legs and it can be tiring for long ride.
Old 06-26-21, 09:26 AM
Cutsit

Thank you for the reply. I have ordered the DNP. Should be here in 10 days or so.
Likes For Cutsit:
Old 06-26-21, 08:36 PM
ScreamingB

Thank you for the reply. I have ordered the DNP. Should be here in 10 days or so.
make sure you get a spline tool. Also, during my installation, the spline tool that used to removed the old Shimano is not compatible with the DNP. if you dont have the tool for DNP, you have to be sure to perfectly align the DNP during installation because it will be difficult to remove if you misaligned. There's a video on youtube about that.. i cannot post link yet.
Likes For ScreamingB:
Old 06-27-21, 07:34 AM
Cutsit

I’ve ordered the Park Tool FR-1.3 to remove the Freewheel. I believe I saw the video on being careful not to cross thread the new install. Will the chain need to be shortened?
Old 06-27-21, 07:46 AM
ScreamingB

I’ve ordered the Park Tool FR-1.3 to remove the Freewheel. I believe I saw the video on being careful not to cross thread the new install. Will the chain need to be shortened?
Check this youtube video

Shorten the chain only when the chain is sagging, which i doubt.
Likes For ScreamingB:
Old 07-01-21, 03:31 AM
ScreamingB

Flipped stem

After taking the new bike for the first ride, my lower back hurts a little. Did some research and noticed the stem installed on my bike is very aggressive with almost 0 degree with ground. Decided to flip the stem and will give it a try when my lower back is ok. May not look significant in the photo but it did raise the handlebar about 2" and probably a little closer.
Likes For ScreamingB:
Old 07-01-21, 05:53 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by ScreamingB
May not look significant in the photo but it did raise the handlebar about 2" and probably a little closer.
It doesn't take a lot of raw measurement change to make a big difference in ergonomics. I suspect you'll like that small change a lot better.
Likes For hokiefyd:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.