Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bad attitude in South Florida

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-20, 10:17 AM
wafranklin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

When I moved from St. Louis to Ft. Lauderdale I discovered
that the citizens of FTL have a different vibe/attitude than those in STL.
It's hard to put a label on it, but this sums it up pretty good:
FTL guys don't put the toilet seat up when they pee.
I never saw it in STL, but I see sticky toilet seats all the time in FTL.

How is this a bicycle issue?
Answer: In FTL it is a thing to throw beer bottles out of your car window.
Broken bottle bombs are everywhere along the side of the road.
New bombs appear every week or so.
I get flats due to glass every week or so.

Why to FTL residents think it's OK to throw bottles out of a car window
and pee on seats? Are they being macho or cool?
Are there more drunks down here?
Old 04-22-20, 10:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Google "Florida Man."

or just visit: https://floridaman.com/top-10/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ay/2629205001/

Florida supplies people for shows like "Cops" and anything involving "America's Dumbest ...."

Pretty much, everything foul drains off from the entire East Coast and most of the South East, up as far a Ohio and as far west as Alabama .... and coagulates on the Florida peninsula. Anyone with more then 23 chromosomes or fewer than 23 teeth .... I used to commute in Central Florida ... Throwing stuff at cyclists was an amusing pass time for a lot of people it seemed. Running cyclists off the road ... "What, we aren't supposed to?"
Old 04-22-20, 11:40 AM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Despite having a lot of bike lanes where one could ride all day long without getting in anybody's way, there's hardly anybody out riding in Florida. I'm advised every time I visit to forget about bicycling there due to the harassment. Driving puts a big damper on my enjoyment of tourist attractions there. It feels like any time gained by driving instead of biking is then lost by walking around parking lots.

Is there any effective form of bicycling advocacy in places where people harass bicyclists as if it's their civic duty?
Old 04-22-20, 12:28 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
It’ll all be underwater pretty soon anyway. Florida Man will be too busy treading water and trying to grow gills to have time to harass people
Likes For Litespud:
Old 04-22-20, 01:19 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
It’ll all be underwater pretty soon anyway. Florida Man will be too busy treading water and trying to grow gills to have time to harass people
why?
Old 04-22-20, 02:09 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
If you could end covid 19 by sacrificing a part of the USA, which state would you pick and why Florida?
Old 04-22-20, 10:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I spent a Lot of years riding a lot of miles in central Florida when Orlando was the cycling death capital of the nation, and while there were certainly a lot of inbred misfits, things got noticeably better after about a decade of the city governments taking cycling more seriously.

I have no idea what the area is like now, but I had a lot of fun riding for a lot of years, back when there were no bike lanes, and extending through the time where there were actually quite a few. The really bad actors stand out, but in truth, I could have chosen routes which kept me away from the worst of the traffic.

Riding through the city centers on the major auto routes is going to be sketchy anywhere. But unless you have to take those roads (which are equally dangerous for drivers) then there is a ton of good riding in Central Florida. I know there are a lot of very active cycling clubs in South Florida. Not sure about north Florida but I have a friend who rides paths and trails up there and says she enjoys it. The Panhandle is still in the Stone Age.... the bicycle hasn't been introduced there yet. if people see you riding they will think you are magic and will run away screaming.

If I still lived there i would still ride there and without worry (but i sure would avoid Highway 50 through Orlando, SR 436, 426 at Orange in Winter Park ... and few other choice death-zones.)
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-23-20, 06:38 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by wafranklin
When I moved from St. Louis to Ft. Lauderdale I discovered
that the citizens of FTL have a different vibe/attitude than those in STL.
It's hard to put a label on it, but this sums it up pretty good:
FTL guys don't put the toilet seat up when they pee.
I never saw it in STL, but I see sticky toilet seats all the time in FTL.

How is this a bicycle issue?
Answer: In FTL it is a thing to throw beer bottles out of your car window.
Broken bottle bombs are everywhere along the side of the road.

Why to FTL residents think it's OK to throw bottles out of a car window
and pee on seats? Are they being macho or cool?
Are there more drunks down here
?
Sorry that you are having a bad time in Florida. Fort Lauderdale does not represent the entire state. You just happened to move to an area where people don't know how to vote so I'm not surprised that they don't know how to lift a toilet seat.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 04-23-20, 07:09 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I've lived in a number of US states (including Florida for many years) and can say that it's easy to generalize about the relative behavior of any of them. Bummer that a few negative things is coloring your whole opinion. Stick with it and concentrate on whatever positive things you encounter.

I had contemplated moving back to Florida when I retired, but nixed that. I have to say that it has changed significantly in the last 50 years, losing much of its charm. I attribute this mostly to the huge influx of residents from other states.
Old 04-23-20, 07:26 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I've spent some time in FL, most recently about 2 yrs. ago when I drove a friends' Mazda Miata home to CT for her. She had inherited it from her father who had been out walking and was hit by a pickup truck. It was on the Gulf side. I have friends and family who have moved to FL and I am fond of them. But, generally, I'm not a fan. I was going to comment on their politics but why? Not worth the time or effort.
Old 04-23-20, 07:34 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The pigs are not limited to Fla.
Old 04-23-20, 07:46 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Florida is a big state. Up here in the panhandle I find 99% of drivers to be courteous and accommodating. With countless miles of low traffic rural roads at my doorstep, I doubt I could find a better place to ride.
Ft. Lauderdale is a whole different world. With the dense population and always crowded roadways, it's not a place I'd want to ride.
Old 04-23-20, 06:24 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I'm about 80-90 miles north of Fort Lauderdale. I've cycled twice in Fort Lauderdale; the second time I forgot how terrible it was the first time. As it turns out, I may never bring my bicycle south of Boca Raton, and that would only be on A1A. Come up to the Treasure Coast, and have some fun with us!
Old 04-23-20, 07:06 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Old 04-23-20, 07:24 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
The further south you go in Florida , the worse it gets. It might have something to do with all the tourists that do not where they are going. This applies to the I-4 corridor ( daytona to tampa) Also it has a lot to do that the immigrant population has turned South Florida ( Miami area) into a foreign country. There are parts of Miami you never hear English spoken for the most part. A world away from North Florida. it has gotten progressively worse as the years have gone by.

A lot of transplanted northern people live in south Fl. They moved to get away from an oppressive tax structure and one particular parties manner of running their states. Now, they vote for the same type of people in Fl and are trying to bring the north to the sout.

People talk about how backwards Floridians are because our lifestyle is much more laid back than other parts of the country. We make fun of you also. Every region has its own quirks.
Likes For Baldy1953:
Old 04-23-20, 07:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by wafranklin
Make sure you choose tires with at least a little protection.
Road Bike? "Commuter"?

I've come to like the Continental Gator Hardshells on my road bikes. They generally last quite well, and reasonably few flats.

Schwable makes one of the narrowest thick-tread tires at 25mm, Schwalbe Marathon Plus. But HEAVY. I did, however, get a flat pretty early with my experiment with them, and fought the hole for the rest of the life of the tire.

I tried a set of Michelin Protek Cross Max tires. Also heavy, but I had not troubles with them, and even liked them on a couple of rides with slush on the ground.

There are a number of tire liners available. Panaracer makes a very unique fibrous lightweight "Flataway" tire liner.
Old 04-23-20, 08:56 PM
A1A Rider

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Trek Madone 3.1, Giant TRC C3, Trek STP 200, Trek STP 300

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have lived here and ridden here for the last 17 years. My route is between Lauderdale by the Sea and as far north as Palm Beach. Been “coal rolled” once and has a 2 liter Mountain Dew thrown at me once. Been yelled at to get off the road where “cars are supposed to be” and ride on the sidewalk. I ride Gatorskins (I know, they are heavy and roll like frozen garden hose...), because they are flat resistant and the fore mentioned glass/burrs/roofing nails on my route.

But, these issues are spread over 17 years and a lot of miles. I get to ride year round in pretty good weather.

Next time in FLL, try to start your ride north of Lauderdale on the beachside and head north to Boca, DelRay and Lake Worth.
Likes For A1A Rider:
Old 04-23-20, 09:10 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Back in 1996 I was working at Tyndall Air Force Base & living in Panama City Beach. One morning I was riding my small motorcycle on the beachfront road. I stopped at an intersection with a crosswalk to allow a group of four children to cross the road. An angry motorist in a pickup truck behind me began blowing his horn at me. Then, while I was waiting for the kids to cross the road, he drove his vehicle up onto the sidewalk and with dirt & gravel flying everywhere roared past me & the children. The terrified kids went running away as fast as possible. I was absolutely stunned. Never seen anything like it. Ever. Wow. For real. That actually happened.

I'm retired and have lived in Florida full time now for several years. Continental Gatorskins, Schwalbe Marathons, Michelin Protek & other tough tires are all that anyone uses around here. Life is good. People are good. But, there are some seriously redneck idiots running around here that absolutely defy imagination.

You're all welcome to come down to Amelia Island. We've got bike lanes everywhere & it's a fun place to visit for casual & experienced riders. Be good. Have fun.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 04-24-20, 04:22 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
If you could end covid 19 by sacrificing a part of the USA, which state would you pick and why Florida?
I know it's harder to spell "Massachusetts", but that's no excuse to get the answer wrong.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-24-20, 04:53 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The shock Jock's morning radio show on the local rock station has a daily segment entitled 'Florida is f'ed up man! And the show comes out of Detroit. Lol!
Old 04-24-20, 05:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
If you could end covid 19 by sacrificing a part of the USA, which state would you pick?
The part of mainland USA that isn't a state?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-24-20, 07:40 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Arizona is just as bad, and maybe worse with roadside glass and other flat-causing 'stickers'... Since AZ gets so little rain and hydroplaning is not an issue, people tend to drive on tires until the steel belts are showing - where do you think those steel-belt wires end up? on the shoulder. Glass bottles? The roadside literally glitters from the broken glass. With no rain to wash the road clear, there is LOTS of flat-causing debris on the road/shoulder.

Then there are the cactus spines, and Goat-heads... But we'll leave that for a whole 'nuther discussion!
Old 04-24-20, 07:49 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Isn’t the abbreviation for Florida, FL.
Tim
Old 04-24-20, 07:55 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Then there are the cactus spines, and Goat-heads... But we'll leave that for a whole 'nuther discussion!
And then there's the heat. You gotta finish your ride by 7am if you don't wanna fry.

But there are some places in AZ that I would love to have the chance to MTB!
Old 04-25-20, 09:15 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
And then there's the heat. You gotta finish your ride by 7am if you don't wanna fry.

But there are some places in AZ that I would love to have the chance to MTB!
I only rode out in the PHX area when visiting my mother during the Winter months. I'd fly out there tovisit her in Gold Canyon for a week visit sometime between January and March..She spent the Summer months up in Show Low where it is MUCH cooler than PHX - almost 30° cooler on average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.