Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Got Continental Grand Prix GP5000 TL Tires? Prepare for a Fight!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-01-20, 07:38 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts

** Update as of 08/14/2020 - I "transplanted" my GP5000 tires from the Bontrager Aeolus 3V Pro wheels to a new set of Light Bicycle wheels. I was able to get the tires on the new wheels without tools. Therefore, the difference must be in the diameter of the Bontrager wheels. While a huge pain to get the tires on those wheels, the good part about the tight bead was that I really didn't need to put any sealant in the wheel to get it to seal. **

I installed a new set of Continental Grand Prix GP5000 TL tires (700 x 32C) on my Bontrager Aeolus 3V Pro rims today and am now almost too tired to type the rest of this post. I've read various posts on the Interwebs that these tubeless tires are really tough to get on. THAT is an understatement! I was only moments away from selling the new tires and trying something else that wouldn't require the strength of Hercules to get on my wheels.

I eventually did get the tires on using a mounting technique I never had to use before. The technique is so new and odd that I drew-up the diagram below and this new technique shall forever be called "The Taylor Technique" for the rest of bicycling history! I used Park TL-1.2 tire levers. I used to think they were way too bulky, but now I love them because I can't believe they didn't break.

How to Install an Evil Tubeless Tire with an Overly Tight Bead

* Make sure the tire rotation arrow on the side of the tire is pointing the right direction or you will hate yourself after Step 3. (Yes, the GP5000's are directional.)
1. Prop your wheel against a wall so it doesn't go anywhere.
2. Use the spoke-hook end of the tire lever to hold the bead on the wheel (Yes, this is the wrong end of the tire lever, I know).
3. Use the spoke-hook end of another tire lever to slide along the wheel bead, prying the bead on as you go. (Once again, I know this is the wrong end of the tire lever, but it works!) This step is 10x harder than it sounds and is the reason the wheel is propped against the wall!

Now that I got the tires on, the good thing about them is that the bead is so darn tight that I could literally go for a ride with them without a drop of tire sealant. I was also able to inflate them with a regular floor pump with no issue. I don't think it's sane to think I'd be able to remove and reinstall one of these on the road side, however.

I hope this helps at least one of you in the future!

Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 08-14-20 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Updated information regarding topic
Old 06-01-20, 07:52 PM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
* Edit - Was confused as to what technique was used. If you that worked, great, but it looks more difficult than it needs to be
​​​​​.
Old 06-01-20, 07:52 PM
Batstar

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Kool Stop tire bead jack works like a charm for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir.../dp/B089B5718Q
Likes For Batstar:
Old 06-01-20, 07:59 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
Had a similar issue with 5000’s.
my saddle bag now contains a length of parachute cord. I tie the tire to the rim and use one lever to move towards the tied point.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 06-01-20, 08:00 PM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by Ross520
* Edit - Was confused as to what technique was used. If you that worked, great, but it looks more difficult than it needs to be​​​​​.
I've been cycling for over 25 years and know how to install tires. Desperate times called for desperate measures.
Old 06-01-20, 08:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
the wall is the key part with this process. If you use the thick nylon cord & a nearby tree with those levers, it is possible.
Old 06-01-20, 08:18 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
That's just normal technique so far as I can tell. I sometimes stop when it it is about 9 inches away and then muscle it over with my hand as hard as possible and that works well for even tougher ones.
Old 06-01-20, 09:01 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 1,425 Posts
Mine went on fairly tight too. I will say that after about 5-6,000 miles they loosen up nicely. I had to add some sealant to mine this weekend and they just slipped back on by hand.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-01-20, 09:03 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I feel your pain. I tried to mount Rene Herse Chinook Pass tires on Aeolus Pro 3's and after two hours gave up. Some tire rim combos just are too difficult to manage. Glad that you finally succeeded.

A few weeks ago someone here posted about a broken carbon rim trying to mount a tire. The wheel was warrantied but it reminded me not to push it when it comes to mounting difficult tires on carbon rims.
Old 06-01-20, 10:39 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Interesting. I got mine on without tire levers on my Reynolds AR58x wheels.
Old 06-01-20, 10:48 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I just mounted a pair last week on my November rgc36 CF wheels and once I figured out the technique I was surprised how easy it was.

Originally I figured I would just muscle them on by hand but it became quite clear within a few minutes that was never going happen. I was reluctant to use levers on my wheels so I emailed my wheel builder and asked him how he did it since he mounts them on some of the wheels he builds if the customer orders them. He said he had never mounted one without using levers so I figured I'd give it a try. If they were too tight I was prepared to bail and go a different direction since I didn't want to destroy a wheel.

The trick I found worked well for me was to use the Schwalbe tire levers I already had. Simply start on the side opposite the valve and mount by hand until they start to get tight. At that point attach the clip part of the levers to the hook on the rim (see photo). Then take the remaining lever and gently lift the bead up and over the rim. The trick was to take little bites at a time right next the the clipped levers then slide the levers up each time as you go.

By doing a little at a time I was surprised how little pressure I needed to coax the bead over the rim. In fact, on the rear tire I noticed after I got it on the logo had become mis-aligned with the valve stem by a few degrees so being somewhat OCD I removed the tire, repositioned it and installed it again. I wouldn't advise levering it in the middle as in the photo since that will but and extreme amount of pressure on the rim. Insert the lever under the bead at that point but slide it over next to the clipped lever before lifting up. Also wanted to make sure I would be able to do this on the side of the road in case I ever need to put a tube in so I ordered another set of levers. One set for the shop and the other to keep on the bike.

https://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2019/...re-levers.html
Likes For August West:
Old 06-01-20, 11:41 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Batstar

Me too, even works for Panaracer Paselas, which are worse than Contis when new.
Old 06-02-20, 01:00 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Me too, even works for Panaracer Paselas, which are worse than Contis when new.

Yup.

Also, how has no one mentioned that tubeless rims have a central channel that you should press the beads into to get more section of tire around the rim?
Likes For surak:
Old 06-02-20, 05:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
The Crank Bros "Speedier" lever is another choice. Not as useful as the Kool Stop but small enough to fit in a seat pack.
Old 06-02-20, 05:45 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
This is exactly why I went with Mavic USTs. Thanks to a GCN video.
Old 06-02-20, 09:27 AM
PoorInRichfield

Thanks for this link... I didn't know this tool existed and will definitely be adding it to my tool arsenal. My forearms are actually sore from wrestling with the GP5000's yesterday
Old 06-02-20, 09:31 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I installed a new set of Continental Grand Prix GP5000 TL tires (700 x 32C) on my Bontrager Aeolus 3V Pro rims today and am now almost too tired to type the rest of this post. I've read various posts on the Interwebs that these tubeless tires are really tough to get on. THAT is an understatement! I was only moments away from selling the new tires and trying something else that wouldn't require the strength of Hercules to get on my wheels.

I eventually did get the tires on using a mounting technique I never had to use before. The technique is so new and odd that I drew-up the diagram below and this new technique shall forever be called "The Taylor Technique" for the rest of bicycling history! I used Park TL-1.2 tire levers. I used to think they were way too bulky, but now I love them because I can't believe they didn't break.

How to Install an Evil Tubeless Tire with an Overly Tight Bead

* Make sure the tire rotation arrow on the side of the tire is pointing the right direction or you will hate yourself after Step 3. (Yes, the GP5000's are directional.)
1. Prop your wheel against a wall so it doesn't go anywhere.
2. Use the spoke-hook end of the tire lever to hold the bead on the wheel (Yes, this is the wrong end of the tire lever, I know).
3. Use the spoke-hook end of another tire lever to slide along the wheel bead, prying the bead on as you go. (Once again, I know this is the wrong end of the tire lever, but it works!) This step is 10x harder than it sounds and is the reason the wheel is propped against the wall!

Now that I got the tires on, the good thing about them is that the bead is so darn tight that I could literally go for a ride with them without a drop of tire sealant. I was also able to inflate them with a regular floor pump with no issue. I don't think it's sane to think I'd be able to remove and reinstall one of these on the road side, however.

I hope this helps at least one of you in the future!
No mention of putting the tire beads in the well of the rim. Sounds like you're working harder, not smarter.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 06-02-20 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-02-20, 09:45 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Looks like fun to fix a flat when your 40 miles from home.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-14-20, 09:26 PM
PoorInRichfield

** Update as of 08/14/2020 **

I "transplanted" my GP5000 tires from the Bontrager Aeolus 3V Pro wheels to a new set of Light Bicycle wheels. I was able to get the tires on the new wheels without tools. Therefore, the difference must be in the diameter of the Bontrager wheels.
Old 08-14-20, 10:09 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Some wheels just don't like some tires, and vice-versa. I'm lucky in that my Kinlins (which are on 3 of 4 bikes) aren't super particular about tires, and I haven't had much of an issue outside of the infernal Maxxis Padrone. Bike 4 has a mix-n-match Crank Brothers Iodine/Cobalt wheelset, and they are without parallel the easiest rims to mount tires to, hands down. Tires practically fall onto them.
Old 08-14-20, 11:37 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
dude you just need high quality tire levers and a really long flat head screw drive , you can just slip the plastic lever under a bead and push down the floor use gravity and your body weight to lift the bead over the rim , and to mount hold one side of the bead , and just use a large drive to flip the bead over the rim , wrap it in electrical tape if you have delicate rims !
Old 08-15-20, 08:16 AM
PoorInRichfield

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips on what I "should've done", but unless you were there, you have no idea how tight the GP5000s are on the Bontrager wheels. Per the advice of @Batstar, I purchased the Kool Stop tire bead jack as well and that's by far the best tool I've seen for helping to get some leverage on a tight bead w/o having to do what I did to get a tight tire on.
Old 08-15-20, 11:27 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
** Update as of 08/14/2020 **

I was able to get the tires on the new wheels without tools. Therefore, the difference must be in the diameter of the Bontrager wheels.
Or maybe the tire got stretched out so the second time was easier.
Old 08-16-20, 06:03 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Looks like fun to fix a flat when your 40 miles from home.
Those were my thoughts exactly when I tried mounting a set of those on my Mavic UST rims. I probably could've forced them on if I really wanted to but, they put up so much resistance (even after laying in the Arizona sun for over an hour) that I decided it wasn't worth the effort knowing that I'd be screwed six ways from Sunday if I ever had to boot a tire or install a tube while out on a ride.
Old 08-16-20, 06:52 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Thanks everyone for the helpful tips on what I "should've done", but unless you were there, you have no idea how tight the GP5000s are on the Bontrager wheels. Per the advice of @Batstar, I purchased the Kool Stop tire bead jack as well and that's by far the best tool I've seen for helping to get some leverage on a tight bead w/o having to do what I did to get a tight tire on.
I wouldn't rely too heavily on that tool, it doesn't always work. It can be hard to hook the bead especially with thin road tires.

Even with that tool you still need to make sure the tire is in the well of the rim and not up on the bead seat.

I use small plastic clothes pin type clips around the tire to hold both sides of the tire together. This makes it easier to keep the tire centered in the rim well. A ratcheting bar clamp ($3 at harbor freight) holds the bead still and takes the place of your second tire iron. The clamp is quicker than tying a cord or fastening zip ties and has he added shop advantage of holding brake calipers closed when adjusting cable lengths.

Soapy water would have made your day go better as well.

Oh, and don't expect those little hooks on your tire irons to live long. Flip the iron over and used the flat side in the same manner.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 08-16-20 at 10:52 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.