Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Post your pedals... or Pedal diversion...

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 10:21 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts

Just because a friend of mine is going through his old BMX stuff and I finally pulled out my Redline from storage to save it from rust. We got to talking about pedals. I loved the old KKT's because the teeth and they were the bomb, but man I slipped off of them constantly, especially riding in streams and jumping in the lake. Some of the guys loved the Hutch's when they came out, I couldn't afford them.. I loved the suntour mountain pedals but their cages had the problem of the teeth being flattened out. Then Urchin released some cages for them (the Suntours) which made them better than the hutch and just plain cheaper.

Over all though my favorite pedal was the Shimano DX platform. So simple. Bombproof. Non-slip. I only ever damaged one pedal and that was because I landed the pedal on the quarter pipe and the rest of the bike off to the side on the ground.

So just for diversions sake I offer up what I have left of my old pedals and what they have morphed into.

From left to right: 1st)Suntour '80's beartraps with replacement Urchin cages. 2nd) is the original Shimaon DX platform. 3rd) is the Shimano DX re-release from about 10 yrs ago. 4th) is the 2nd to latest rendition of the Shimano platform the PD-M8040 (it was cheaper than the XT-8141 I was looking for ;-)

I have to rebuild the original DX pedals and am trying to figure out how to get the caps off.. The aluminum is bent in around the cap (Every time you wrecked the aluminum formed a lip around the edge of the cap), a wonderful design element that made sure you didn't loose your pedal cap. But it makes maintenance a pain.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics

Last edited by canopus; 09-06-20 at 03:01 AM. Reason: grammer!
Likes For canopus:
Old 08-27-20, 10:41 AM
FujiSam

Bikes: '72 Fuji Newest, '79 Fuji Royale Gravel Grinder; '84 Schwinn High Sierra BMX Cruiser; '97 Huffy Tremor BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 51 Posts
Love the DXs! I have a pair on my 1984 Schwinn High Sierra BMX conversion and I absolutely love them. Powder coated white By far my favorite pedal in terms of feel and grip. I had to rebuild them, too since the original axles were roached. I'm sure there's a more elegant way, but I eventually just made a small incision right in the middle of the cap and used a flathead to pop them off, then sealed it up with a small dab of glue after reassembling. The pedals take a beating anyway, so I didn't care too much! I swapped the cro-mo axles from a clearance set of resin pedals and was even able to use the smaller bearings in the crank-side cups for a little more smoothness (did not fit properly in the outboard cups).

I'm also a fan of the regular old Wellgo LU-487s that came rebranded on every basic bike for a couple decades. I rode them on my Huffy Tremor until I recently went to square taper and put on some Odyssey Triple Traps, which I just mangled on a 20mi trail day haha! Slid of the side of the trail right into a tree lol. Really great platform on those though, disperses the pressure nicely.

Squashed Triple Trap. I call them Texas toast pedals b/c they're so thick!

Original Wellgo DX knock-offs on the Huffy

I also ride these Free Agent DX knock-offs, but with removable pins.

Last edited by FujiSam; 08-29-20 at 07:52 AM.
Likes For FujiSam:
Old 09-06-20, 03:09 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
I tried to love those smaller Shimano's, we called them the SX pedal BITD, but I had big feet by then and just went to the DX. Gotta keep in mind the axle swap, nice tip. I have a current set of Wellgo DX style I move from bike to bike also just because I like them so. I also had Victor's copied pedals. Man talk about crummy copies but now... Wow!

Love that red Sierra!
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 12-21-20, 09:19 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Just found these in my parts bin. I have no idea how they ended up in my pedal box, because I’m I’m a vintage road bike guy.

Speaking of the vintage KKT, here is a set of Lightnings...

Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 01-03-21, 03:33 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
I tried to love those smaller Shimano's, we called them the SX pedal BITD, but I had big feet by then and just went to the DX. Gotta keep in mind the axle swap, nice tip. I have a current set of Wellgo DX style I move from bike to bike also just because I like them so. I also had Victor's copied pedals. Man talk about crummy copies but now... Wow!

Love that red Sierra!
Just drive a thin flat tip between the caps and pedals and pop them off.

when I was a teen, I had some pedals (black widow?) with awesome, steel cages! I still have the scar behind my left knee to show how sharp they were.

Now I prefer platforms with replaceable studs.

I have big feet- and I don’t weigh 135lbs anymore so it feels better to have more area under my feet.
Old 01-03-21, 04:43 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by FujiSam
Love the DXs! I have a pair on my 1984 Schwinn High Sierra BMX conversion and I absolutely love them. Powder coated white By far my favorite pedal in terms of feel and grip. I had to rebuild them, too since the original axles were roached. I'm sure there's a more elegant way, but I eventually just made a small incision right in the middle of the cap and used a flathead to pop them off, then sealed it up with a small dab of glue after reassembling. The pedals take a beating anyway, so I didn't care too much! I swapped the cro-mo axles from a clearance set of resin pedals and was even able to use the smaller bearings in the crank-side cups for a little more smoothness (did not fit properly in the outboard cups).

I'm also a fan of the regular old Wellgo LU-487s that came rebranded on every basic bike for a couple decades. I rode them on my Huffy Tremor until I recently went to square taper and put on some Odyssey Triple Traps, which I just mangled on a 20mi trail day haha! Slid of the side of the trail right into a tree lol. Really great platform on those though, disperses the pressure nicely.

Squashed Triple Trap. I call them Texas toast pedals b/c they're so thick!

Original Wellgo DX knock-offs on the Huffy

I also ride these Free Agent DX knock-offs, but with removable pins.

I also like the bike.

On a bike like that, assuming the hub thread is correct for something like an ACS bmx freewheel... is there enough adjustment in the dropout?

I’ve thought about converting my big box store mtb to a big bmx, but those are 2 of my holdups.