Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Thanks, Manxman - Cavendish says it was his last race.....

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-20, 07:17 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...evelgem-472305

(Well, "perhaps".)

In any event, he gave us some of the most exciting moments in racing for quite a long time. Age gets us all, eventually, and sooner for the ultra-competitive world of top-level sprinters.
Old 10-11-20, 08:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I was not a fan of his for the first few years but he grew on me. He matured, I grew to appreciate a racer who was gifted, great race smarts and absolutely fearless. I wish him well in his new life.
Old 10-12-20, 01:01 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Any day can be the last day of a racer's career. Maybe it is good the younger racers don't think about that so much.
Old 10-14-20, 02:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I wasn't a fan of Cavendish until late in his career when I watched him in a few interviews and demo videos for GCN and others. Like Sagan, Cav is quite a charming fellow apart from the heat of battle, with the sort of confidence you like to see in a genuine competitor. And like Sagan, Cav was such a fierce competitor that he often seemed arrogant, reckless and indifferent to the safety of other sprinters. But I never cared much for flat stages and bunch sprints, so until fairly recently I didn't really learn to appreciate the finesse and strategy that went along with the brute strength. Watching some good analyses by YouTubers like Lanterne Rouge finally taught me to appreciate sprinters.

I sympathize with Cav. Chronic illness gutted my fitness potential in my mid-20s and it was very difficult to accept. I'd been a decent amateur boxer and enjoyed cycling, some crits and time trials (mostly because I hated running as roadwork for boxing). But I never fully recovered a rare bad reaction to gamma globulin for hepatitis exposure (my main job was hemodialysis nursing), which finally led to an auto immune disorder that killed my thyroid as well.

Coincidentally, I had cared for patients who suffered long-term and permanent debility from Epstein-Barr, which disabused me of my jokey adolescent notions about "mono" and the "kissing disease." In some young adults it's no joke.

It would be nice to think Cav might be able to continue racing, other than in the grueling 3-week grand tours. But even track demands a high level of training that may not be possible for him to sustain.

And at age 35 he doesn't have anything to prove. He amassed an admirable record within his specialty.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-14-20, 02:39 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
he's supposedly riding scheldeprijs on wednesday (today).

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mar...-scheldeprijs/
Old 10-15-20, 02:25 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Apparently Cav's comment was taken a bit out of context. He meant that if the one day races he planned to enter were all canceled, that might mean, in effect, he'd ridden his last race. Presumably he realizes retirement is inevitable if he doesn't get a contract for 2021.

One good thing to come of this is perhaps people will realize that a virus can carry permanent debility long after the victim has "recovered," even the youngest and fittest of us. A persistent misunderstanding during the coronavirus pandemic has been the myth that it's "only a bad cold" and affects only the respiratory system. But increasingly research indicates viruses may have lingering system-wide impacts and the respiratory system is only the point of entry.