Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Max mileage from a chain?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-27-20, 06:51 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

What I really like about Bike Forums is getting input from the practical, real-world experiences of everyone here.

How many miles to you put on a chain?

I just read an article in Bicycling Mag that said replace the chain “At least every 2,500 miles.”

I frequently clean my bike, use a Park Tools chain scrubber and re-lube. I do so nearly every time after a gravel ride. Every other time after a road ride.

I have only 1 bike; a "gravel" bike that I ride road and gravel, but with different wheel sets/cassettes.

I use a PT chain checker to determine if i need a new one; not mileage. 2500 miles on my Shimano chain shows no stretching.

What do you folks do?
Likes For rbrides:
Old 10-27-20, 06:55 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Replace when worn.
Old 10-27-20, 06:56 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Being the lazy sort, I just wait until the chain starts slipping and skipping before I replace anything. I have so many bikes that I'm constantly switching parts on, that it would be very impractical to keep mileage figures. And besides, isn't the point of replacing a chain so it won't jump out of gear? Why not wait until it actually starts to have problems?

I can see if I was on a professional racing team how keeping track of mileage might make sense, but for me, not really.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-27-20, 06:58 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Clean dry and measure 12 inches for wear.
Get about 12,000 miles

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-27-20, 07:14 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I replace every 2k, chains are cheap and can cause damage to far more expensive things.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 10-27-20, 07:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Replace when worn.
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Clean dry and measure 12 inches for wear.
When 12 links exceed 12-1/16" it's time to replace the chain. TBH, I've got a Park checker I can drop down a few places around the chain -- I usually wait until the first one drops to squat down on the ground to measure with a ruler or tape.

Some people would rather wear cassette and chain out. Every time I've let one go past the 12-1/8" point, I end up replacing one or more front cogs as well as cassette. It's cheaper and easier to put on a new chain, usually about every 2,000 miles IME.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-27-20, 07:48 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
My wife gets twice as many miles out of a chain as I do, up to 10,000 miles. She mainly rides in fair weather, in lower gear, lower torque. So, as with all things, the answer is "It depends."
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 10-27-20, 07:52 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Bicycling many years ago was worth reading. I have bikes that only see bike lanes that are swept regularly in very dry Southern AZ and a daughter has fat bikes that are regularly ridden on the Cape Lookout Fat Bike Route along the shore. Wildly different milage. The kids and I calibrate a Park CC-4 or better a Shimano TL-CN42 against a metal tape/ruler for quick checks and then measure when getting close as said above.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 10-27-20, 07:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I don't have any set time or mileage to check or replace. When I feel so motivated, I check mine with the typical chain checker from Park Tool, but at times I also will measure with a metal scale. If either shows more than .5% or a 1/16th longer than 12 inches, I start mulling over changing it.

I'm not much for preventative maintenance anymore. I think it cost more money in the long run when you get too finicky about things. Sure, if my bike was soaring regularly at altitudes above the ground higher than I'd want to fall, I'd be all up in the preventative maintenance thing.

So if I happen to go too long with my chain and the cogs and chainrings get worn to badly, I can replace them too for not much money. Probably less than number of chains I would have had to replace early to save them from extra wear.

But that is not to say you shouldn't replace early or on some time schedule. It's up to you and your circumstances. Also depends a lot on whether your mindset is someone that like to tinker and fiddle with mechanical things to perfection. I used to have that mindset, but lost that as I got older. It's more enjoyable to ride than it is to prepare everything to ride.

As far as mileage on chains, I would have sworn I was getting 8000 miles out of a chain. But those were all on bikes less than 9 speeds with a 14 tooth cog the smallest. My 11 speed chain is ready for replacement now with just 4500 - 5000 miles on it.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-27-20 at 08:04 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-27-20, 08:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
There are two approaches to chain replacement:

1. Replace it often, sometimes as often as every 1500 miles, if you are a heavy and/or strong rider. That way you don't wear the cassette cogs very much and you make your cassette last much longer.
2. Run the chain and cassette together until the chain "stretch" is 1/8" in 12 inches and replace both the chain and cassette at the same time.

The first approach makes sense if you use expensive high-line cassettes like Dura Ace or Chorus/Record since making the cassette last a long time saves money. The second approach, which is what I do, makes sense if you use lower cost cassettes like 105 or Veloce since spending two or three times the cost of a cassette on new chains is foolish.

I'm older and fairly light and, despite the fact I ride a LOT of hills, I get 7000 - 9000 miles on a chain/cassette pair with a modest cleaning/relubing schedule.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 10-27-20, 08:57 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
The rear chain on our tandem is lucky to get 3000 miles, so every year. This is due to a lot of fine trail dust which I suspect is very abrasive, and also twice the force on the rear chain. The timing chain is usually good for 2 years. Every so often during winter, I get the urge to construct some sort of plastic shield to deflect dust, but is complicated. BTW, 24 links = 12 inches, or do people generally consider 1 link to be an outer plus inner?
Likes For IPassGas:
Old 10-27-20, 09:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb

Some people would rather wear cassette and chain out. Every time I've let one go past the 12-1/8" point, I end up replacing one or more front cogs as well as cassette. It's cheaper and easier to put on a new chain, usually about every 2,000 miles IME.
I don’t know what you are doing but I can’t recall ever replaced a chainwheel due to chain wear. Even if you went an extra 1/16” of an inch over, you shouldn’t have to replace chainring. I’d agree that you might end up having to replace the cassette but not the chainring.

I get 3000 to 3500 miles per chain and 3 to 4 chains to each cassette.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-27-20, 09:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I ride pretty much always on hard surface streets or MUPS. Using both a Park wear tool and a steel scale, I get about 8000 miles on a chain.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-27-20, 10:14 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I don't measure chains and I don't keep track of mileage. I replace the chain on my most-ridden bikes about every six months; on my more occasional bikes, annually.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-27-20, 10:17 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don’t know what you are doing but I can’t recall ever replaced a chainwheel due to chain wear. Even if you went an extra 1/16” of an inch over, you shouldn’t have to replace chainring. I’d agree that you might end up having to replace the cassette but not the chainring.

I get 3000 to 3500 miles per chain and 3 to 4 chains to each cassette.
I don't keep records of how many miles per chain but I estimate about 5K miles. I always change the cassette when I change the chain. Like ecyccomute says, the chainwheels don't see any appreciable wear from the chain. When I can ride like Peter Sagan I will change more often.
Likes For frogman:
Old 10-27-20, 10:41 AM
KenCarlson

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Measure wear, don't go by mileage.
I get as little as 500 miles on my winter commuter, and as much as 5,000 miles on my fair-weather road bike. It all depends on the riding conditions.

-Ken
Likes For KenCarlson:
Old 10-27-20, 10:49 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I don't measure chains and I don't keep track of mileage. I replace the chain on my most-ridden bikes about every six months; on my more occasional bikes, annually.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-27-20, 12:58 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The problem is that, IME, chain wear seems to accelerate as it happens. So if a chain has "stretched" 1/16" at 2,000 miles, it'll be at 12-1/8" at 2,500 miles, and 12-1/4" at 3,000 miles. With 1/4" of stretch, both times I let it get that far, it was time for a new chainring. Or three. Since I don't check chain wear as often as I check tire pressure, it's safest to R&R the chain as soon as I see the wear.

Chain life is all over the place, depending on the rider. 2,000 miles for me may be like 3,000 miles for you, or 1,000 miles for someone else.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-27-20, 01:42 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
I get 8000 miles probably 10000 but have out new one on at around 8K.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 10-27-20, 06:03 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by pdlamb
The problem is that, IME, chain wear seems to accelerate as it happens. So if a chain has "stretched" 1/16" at 2,000 miles, it'll be at 12-1/8" at 2,500 miles, and 12-1/4" at 3,000 miles. With 1/4" of stretch, both times I let it get that far, it was time for a new chainring. Or three. Since I don't check chain wear as often as I check tire pressure, it's safest to R&R the chain as soon as I see the wear.

Chain life is all over the place, depending on the rider. 2,000 miles for me may be like 3,000 miles for you, or 1,000 miles for someone else.
Although I haven’t really checked, I would say that chain wears at a constant rate. The pins aren’t harder on the outside then the inside nor are the plates harder nearer to the pins than further away. The wear on the drivetrain might be worse, however. But I really doubt that you’d get double the wear after you’ve reached 1/16” elongation. It might be an interesting experiment, however.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-27-20, 06:36 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
With a family of cyclists, I check a lot of chains, with a ruler according to the typical criterion -- 1/16 out of 12". If the gears skip after a new chain, then I replace the cogs. I've only replaced one chain ring ever, that had been on multiple iterations of my commuting bike over the span of more than 20 years. I ride about 3k miles per year and replace one chain per year, maybe 2 chains per year for the family overall. I don't ride enough to warrant checking any chain more than once a year, so the ruler is handy enough for my use.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 10-27-20, 07:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
All these folks reporting on the mileage they get out of chains: it'd be interesting to know which chains.

Riding conditions matter, too: on a bike that sees a lot of dirt and gravel roads, chains will wear faster.

'Course, anyone's reporting is anecdotal, as chain wear is dependent on sooo many variables. As a general rule, I replace any time there is any doubt.

Last edited by Koyote; 10-27-20 at 07:17 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-27-20, 07:13 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Koyote
All these folks reporting on the mileage they get out of chains: it'd be interesting to know which chains. I get more life out of a 9 speed chain than I get from an 11 speed chain.

Riding conditions matter, too: on a bike that sees a lot of dirt and gravel roads, chains will wear faster.

'Course, anyone's reporting is anecdotal, as chain wear is dependent on sooo many variables. As a general rule, I replace any time there is any doubt.
Good point. My chains are most 9 speed. I have 3 bikes with 10 speed drivetrains but those don’t have that many miles on them yet. Conditions range from dry mountain biking to tours in various places around the US. I haven’t noticed any excess wear due to dirt conditions but I don’t use oil based chain lubricants.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-27-20, 07:25 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Asking "how many miles do you get out of a chain?" is very much similar to asking "how heavy is your hammer?"

Ask a hundred cyclists, you're likely to get near as many different answers.

Oh, but always ignore chain-related answers that come from 'bent riders. Unless they're FWD, they have two or three chains pieced together.
Old 10-27-20, 07:58 PM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I have about 4k on this chain since last year and am long overdue. Hopefully I didn't screw anything up. New one will be here tomorrow.

I d been cleaning and lubing it and didn't think I had that many miles on it. Still looks new but noticed it wasn't meshing all that well with my chainring this afternoon so checked my purchase history and Strava.

Oops. I guess riding now mike than I thought isn't really that big of a deal.
Likes For Mista Sparkle:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.