Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is my chain too long?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is my chain too long?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-20, 01:36 PM
Funktopus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Is my chain too long?

So I'm riding a brand new build. The first chain I put on this thing was getting bad chain suck on a ride out and about. Before I could get home and diagnose the problem the chain broke. I put this down to the chain having been moved from one bike to another using a chain breaker rather than a master link. I thought maybe the link that had been broken was stiff.

Now I have a brand new KMC x9 on it, and while I haven't been able to visually confirm the issue is chain suck again, I'm feeling the chain behave in a way that seems to be chain suck. A kind of jerky, popping feeling. It only seems to happen when I'm in the smallest cog on the front and back.

So I'm wondering if this is too much slack:

That's the bike in the smallest cogs. There's some droop there. Not much, but definitely some. Should I take a few links out?

Thanks
Old 11-06-20, 01:46 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Serious problem with your DR cable.
If you can take out a a link, do so... your DR looks like it's lost some of it's tension. Shortening as much as possible might help.
Show a ick of this setup in the Big/big gear.
Old 11-06-20, 01:49 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
That doesn't look like a 9 speed cluster, so You might be better off with an 8 speed chain.

I would make the chain shorter, by using the big/big + one link method. You wouldn't tend to be riding in that gear combo much, but there's no reason to have slack chain.

The cable housing needs a ferrule and longer loop so that the shift cable runs more straight.
Old 11-06-20, 02:16 PM
Funktopus

Originally Posted by trailangel
Serious problem with your DR cable.
If you can take out a a link, do so... your DR looks like it's lost some of it's tension. Shortening as much as possible might help.
Show a ick of this setup in the Big/big gear.
OK, thanks. Here it is in big big.

Would the problem with the cable be that there isn't enough housing?

Last edited by Funktopus; 11-06-20 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-06-20, 02:20 PM
Funktopus

Originally Posted by woodcraft
That doesn't look like a 9 speed cluster, so You might be better off with an 8 speed chain.

I would make the chain shorter, by using the big/big + one link method. You wouldn't tend to be riding in that gear combo much, but there's no reason to have slack chain.

The cable housing needs a ferrule and longer loop so that the shift cable runs more straight.
Its a 7 speed freewheel, but I've actually found a 9 speed chain works best with it. Possibly because I'm friction shifting, but possibly because its an old Aris freewheel with very bitey teeth. I found the wider seven speed chains would get caught on neighbouring teeth too easily.

I'll check out the big Big +1 method, thanks.
Old 11-06-20, 02:25 PM
Funktopus

Originally Posted by woodcraft

How much extra cable should I be adding? When I cut this cable I took a minimal approach, didn't realise there was more to take into account then the range of movement on the DR.
Old 11-06-20, 02:38 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
See how much extra chain you have in BIG:BIG using this method.
You want at least 1" and less then 2".
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 11-06-20, 02:53 PM
Funktopus

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
See how much extra chain you have in BIG:BIG using this method.
You want at least 1" and less then 2".

Seems like a lot!
Old 11-06-20, 03:14 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

It's hard to visualize, but removing 2" MIGHT be too much.
Remove 1" & repeat. You might end up in a scenario where you have 1-7/8" slack. DON'T go <1".
Pull the slack out, but don't force. You can feel when things "snug up" noticeably. Don't go tighter.
Old 11-06-20, 03:32 PM
Funktopus

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
It's hard to visualize, but removing 2" MIGHT be too much.
Remove 1" & repeat. You might end up in a scenario where you have 1-7/8" slack. DON'T go <1".
Pull the slack out, but don't force. You can feel when things "snug up" noticeably. Don't go tighter.
OK, will do. Need to wait for my masterlink pliers to arrive on Sunday, I'm not going to mess about trying to reuse cores that I've extracted with a chain breaker again. Thanks for the advice, feels like we're on to something here.
Old 11-06-20, 04:04 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by Funktopus
OK, will do. Need to wait for my masterlink pliers to arrive on Sunday, I'm not going to mess about trying to reuse cores that I've extracted with a chain breaker again. Thanks for the advice, feels like we're on to something here.
On 9 speed (or more) chain, never reuse pins. The side plates aren't thick enough to hold.
I had a brain fart once and did so. I turned a RDER into a pretzel when the chain parted.
Quik Links or whatever brand are so much simpler.

I can't imagine a modern 6-8 speed chain causing interference issues with adjacent cogs on a 6 speed cluster. There has to be something else going on there.
Old 11-06-20, 04:45 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
I really like this method...

Likes For Barry2:
Old 11-07-20, 02:07 AM
bikeme

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I set my length so that in the big ring/biggest cog the RD cage is a little past vertical up to 45 degrees max towards the front of the bike. I then check when in the small chainring/small cog there is a bit of tension pulling the RD cage down a little with no sag in the chain. I find what length works for both parameters and break off the extra there, accounting for a quick-link.
Old 11-09-20, 08:56 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Yes that is too much slack in the small/small. Remove one and check again...there is a balance you need to achieve between the small/small and ensuring it is not too tight on the big/big.
Old 11-09-20, 12:12 PM
Funktopus

One link seems to have done it! I've only tested cycling the length of my kitchen, as the weather outside leaves a lot to be desired, but the chain suck problem seems to have disappeared on a before and after roll around.

Thanks all.