Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Red Line ID help

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Red Line ID help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-20, 07:33 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
Red Line ID help

I got this bike today at a thrift store for my grandsons to ride when they are over. I would like to find out how old it is and what model. I see the forks are on back wards are that original to the bike? I found a couple sites on line that have

some serial number info but none are close to this one.
Old 12-04-20, 07:21 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
Turn the fork around, dump the pegs and get shorter set of crank arms. After that it is in the details like turning the seat camp around and look for some bear trap pedals. It will be a great bike for him and close to vintage as well! Smiles, MH
Old 12-22-20, 10:14 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
In reviewing this bike I would keep the 180 length Astabula crank arms (and put them away) but for a young rider the 165 or 170 would be better. This bike is a keeper and should be treated like a vintage item. It is hard to even find these old bikes let alone one with this kind of pedigree. Keep all of the parts that were on it, but use it as an original BMX bike. It will be a great ride for any young rider.
BTW, check the prices for old Red Line bikes on the bay. Smiles, MH
Old 12-23-20, 09:04 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Double check to see if slot is facing forward on the seat tube. Some Redlines do and if you flip that seat clamp around and tighten, you can crack the frame and ruin bike.

Just flip fork and pull pegs and let him decide if he wants to put on. Those add a lot of weight and would be easier to learn without. If he does want pegs, you need to know for want purpose. Those are flatland for grip and standing on. If he wants to grind which is most popular now, get new ones that have the replaceable, smooth plastic outer sleeve with cro mo or aluminum interior. The cranks are not a deal killer, if he really is good or likes riding he will learn about brands and be upgrading anyway. And the pegs can transfer to new bike.
Old 12-29-20, 03:56 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I'm definitely not a modern bmx expert. But I believe that it is a RL340 from the early 2000's. Here is one that's kinda similar https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/redline/54408 . The forks look original, but often if they are on back wards there is a chance they are bent. There is ways to bend them back if you are handy, but you can probably pick up some other forks for this dirt cheap.