Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help... Rear wheel washers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 09:33 AM
Majcd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, in common with many I decided to return to cycling after many years away during lockdown and I bought a 20yr old Raleigh bike. All was well until I needed to change the freewheel and rear wheel bearings which are now done but Im embarrassed by the washers on the rear wheel. The bike has a Shimano gear cluster if that's relevant, and when I removed the rear wheel I f ound one washer on the left but two on the Drive side. These are the silver washers with serrations on one side presumably to stop rotation. The lhs goes under the spindle nut but I'm foxed by the two on the Drive side. Sadly I didnt see where they came from as I wasn't expecting 2! I think they could go in three places
On the inside of the fork against the cone lock nut
Between the outside of the fork and the gear change mechanism
On the outside of the gear change mechanism under the spindle nut.
I'm assuming that they go in 2 of these three locations or maybe 2 washers in one place but I think that's less likely.
Incidentally does anyone know a source of good exploded diagrams that would solve this type of simple question?
All advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Mike
Old 12-08-20, 10:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I would say put them clear on the out side of the whole wheel assy. They were probably put there to center the wheel in the drop outs. Try two on one side and then the other to see that it put the wheel in the center of the frame.

Digging a little deeper, maybe they were put there in the way they were for an exact adjustment of where the chain line is, and how it affects the adjustment of the RD.
Old 12-08-20, 10:44 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
True anti-rotation washers are only needed on internal gear hubs. It’d take a rather nasty failure to put any kind of important torque through the axle of a derailer gear hub.
In theory, the outside faces of the locknuts should be serrated or somehow patterned. Then you might have a serrated washer between axle nut and dropout. More often, a simple flat one.
It’s quite common for older bikes to have an extra washer here or there. Common reasons to add one is to make the wheel a better fit for the dropout width. Or to center the wheel. Or to add clearance between smallest sprocket and dropout.
Ideally washers added for that reason should go inside the locknut, to make them more permanent parts of the wheel. But as you might guess, that doesn’t always happen.
”Temporary unless it works”....
So, most likely, it isn’t critical. Put the wheel in and see where you think the extra washer will be most beneficial.
Maybe the serrations on the drive size locknut have gotten worn? Add it there If that’s the case.
Old 12-08-20, 02:06 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
They were probably put there to center the wheel in the drop outs.
this^^

Put them in whatever position causes the wheel to be properly centered. Chances are once the wheel is centered everything is where it belongs, but check that the small cog is clear of the chain stay.

I have a jar of old hub washers, spacers, cones and nuts. They come in handy when fitting a new hub to a bike or when overhauling a hub with a scored cone.
Likes For Pop N Wood: