Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Crude Bike Stand

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 04:38 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Crude Bike Stand

I saw this on a youtube video, and am really quite impressed with how stupidly convenient I'm finding it - so I thought I'd share.

I often bring the bike in through the house, so I can load it or stick cameras on it or air up the tyres, and don't have to do it in the rain - and this down-and-dirty, very crude bike stand is really easy and simple.

I took some scrap wood I had (2x4s), cut up a few pieces to look like what's in the photo (three pieces are approx 55cm, the two connecting pieces are approx 40cm), screwed them together such that the width accomodates the bike tyre (one bike at a time, one slot for mtb, the other for road), and there you have it, now I don't have to lean the bike against the wall or kitchen presses and it doesn't get in the way of anything.

Took about 30mins, and most of that was setting up the drop saw.

Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 01-30-21, 08:21 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Looks rather bulky. I found a few of these (similar) at a local bike shop for $10 each. 7 bikes in the bike room, no problem.

Well... mine was basically free (scrap wood and 6 screws), I only need to hold one bike at a time, and there's no plastic in the construction.
Old 01-30-21, 08:49 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
For a similarly cheap work stand, you can suspend the bike from the ceiling with rope. Someone on Bike Forums once mentioned visiting a pro bike shop in Switzerland that used ropes that way. The mechanics in the shop said that for any repairs that require applying a lot of force, they simply place the bike on the floor and lean it against a wall.

From SheldonBrown.com:

Bicycle Work Stands
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-30-21, 09:27 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
As founder and only member of ASPCB (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Bicycles) I'm totally against cramming tire and rim between two pieces of wood

Likes For hillyman:
Old 01-30-21, 09:50 AM
Madsvk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking for some ones that will allow me o hang mine on the wall so it's not in the way.
Old 01-30-21, 10:00 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Looks rather bulky. I found a few of these (similar) at a local bike shop for $10 each. 7 bikes in the bike room, no problem.

Have the other design, & it works. Wouldn't look at it the wrong while in use though.
Old 01-30-21, 10:02 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Let's keep in mind this isn't for permanent storage. It's just for standing the bike up while passing through the house.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 01-30-21, 10:41 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Let's keep in mind this isn't for permanent storage. It's just for standing the bike up while passing through the house.
Well, when you put it like that; U-Lock & a load bearing post within the residence.
Old 01-30-21, 12:11 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Well Done!
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-30-21, 06:59 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
For a similarly cheap work stand, you can suspend the bike from the ceiling with rope. Someone on Bike Forums once mentioned visiting a pro bike shop in Switzerland that used ropes that way. The mechanics in the shop said that for any repairs that require applying a lot of force, they simply place the bike on the floor and lean it against a wall.

From SheldonBrown.com:

Bicycle Work Stands
I’ve done something similar for a number of years. Our garage has exposed ceiling joists, so I just have big hooks screwed into the joists in many locations. They can be used to keep bikes or wheels well up overhead and out of the way, or I can suspend the bike from one wheel and have it at a handy work height. Really haven’t had issues with not being able to do all needed work.

Otto
Old 01-30-21, 10:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

From SheldonBrown.com:

Bicycle Work Stands
I've been doing that for 30 years. Rope with a loop for the nose of the seat. I have a second rope to tie around the front of the bike when I need steadier or the front end up. I have to tie that one but I don't need it very often. (It is very nice for starting brake cables. I can lift the levers to eye height.) Putting bikes in my "stand" is so much faster than the best Park unit and no danger of harming anything doing it fast. Putting wheels on? Toss the wheel on with a 1/4 QR tighten. Slip the bike out and set it down. Open and close lever. Return to stand.

My garage is used for a lot of other projects. The bikes get wall space to hang from and shelves for parts and gear. One mechanics cabinet/table on wheels. Not having a clumsy floor stand to bump into is a real blessing. (And I do run into my "stand" all the time, It just isn't an issue!)
Old 01-31-21, 01:26 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
In the winter I put the bike on a trainer stand to get some exercise, but it sits on thick carpet. I made a similar unit to stabilize the front wheel on the carpet, and It also raises the front wheel slightly so the bike sits level.
Old 02-01-21, 08:12 AM
skenry

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Not a bad idea for the corner of the garage.
I like the narrow / wide spacing for different bikes.
Likes For skenry:
Old 02-01-21, 08:53 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Great use of extra materials! Very functional, and as you pointed out, no cost!
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 02-04-21, 01:47 PM
tilsover

Bikes: 2019 KHS 1000; 1990 (or so) Trek 930

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 28 Posts

I made this to park my fat bike in the garage. Scrap wood and conduit. Wide enough to haul my bike in the back of my truck easily with no other support. I could have made it prettier, sure, but works great. Good riding!

Likes For tilsover:
Old 02-04-21, 09:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,598 Times in 2,905 Posts
Admire the ingenuity shown by you guys. Mine hang on hooks in the garage.