Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Road shoe cleat placement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 04:25 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

Not really sure what forum to put this in. If I go DIY, it is sort of a mechanical issue.
This is a stretch but just checking to see. Does anyone know of a cycling shoe (road) that would allow a LOOK Delta cleat to be mounted much farther aft than the typical ball of the foot area? I mean I want it back somewhere under the arch of my foot at least. If I can’t find one...I’ll probably end up modifying a pair of cycling shoes I already have. The issue: I’m an older rider, 60 years old. Because of a couple (RIGHT) knee injuries over the years, pedaling out of the saddle, and sometimes climbing while IN the saddle, puts enough tension on my knee and causes pain/discomfort in the patella area. I’ve noticed that on my commuter with flat pedals that sliding my foot forward so that the pedal is under my arch greatly alleviates the discomfort. Any ideas?

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 02-22-21 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-22-21, 04:33 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Here's one version. Mid-Foot Cycling (mid-foot-cycling.com) This was a semi-popular thing a few years ago and some riders stuck with it. I found these not having to look too long but I suspect there are other versions out there and maybe some used adapters on Ebay or ?? Also have you tried changing your saddle position. Moving it up/down, forward/rearward and saddle tilt may help your knees. I know you mentioned it hurts when standing too but a different saddle position may take some wear and tear away from your knees for most of the ride.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 02-22-21 at 04:53 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 02-22-21, 08:24 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
The better Shimano shoes have a two-position cleat-mounting spacer that allows you to get pretty far back, although it won't do full midfoot. The mounting holes for Bont shoes are also pretty far back.
Old 02-22-21, 09:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Speedplay made for further rearward positioning with their X2 cleats (unsure about the other versions) when came out with their V.2 models. No where near enough for mid foot but enough for me needs. Anddy
Old 02-22-21, 10:13 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I like the adapters that Crankycrank posted a link to above. I’m looking into something like that.

Dan
Old 02-23-21, 01:45 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Speedplay made for further rearward positioning with their X2 cleats (unsure about the other versions) when came out with their V.2 models. No where near enough for mid foot but enough for me needs. Anddy
They have one for Zero, too. I've found that the standard Speedplay mounting shim is pretty forward, but the optional shim goes way back.

I'm using Time Xpresso now, and that cleat allows plenty of rearward adjustment too.