Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Any Clydes ever do the Ohio-To-Erie Trail?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 02-25-21, 01:36 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts

I didn't post this in the Touring section as I am asking in the context of Clydes/Athenas.

I'm planning the Ohio To Erie route in late August, all 326 miles of it, with some coworkers. None of us are pros, but we each have ridden multiple half-centuries in towpath and rail trail type environments. However, there is usually not significant elevation changes in these instances. The long hours in the saddle won't bother any of us, but the elevation will.

Anyway, yesterday, to check the navigability of a 17-mile road stretch between Fredericksburg and Dalton, I drove in the car and quickly became mentally overwhelmed by the hills. To a normal-sized rider, I am sure the elevation is no big deal, but I counted no less than 8 "gotta walk that one" hills.

I have 6 months to get my crap together on this, which seems like a lot of time, but also doesn't. I know I've got to incorporate more hills in my training, and will do so when the weather starts cooperating. I also have a new bike on order, since my 1x10 drivetrain has not really done me any favors with gear range for hills.

But, I guess I'd like to know if any other (super)Clydes/Athenas have attempted the OTET and what your takeaway from "hill country" is? Trying to psych myself back IN for this ride...
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 02-25-21, 08:24 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Find a I got to walk this hill near you. Ride it as far as you can then do it over and over. You need to ride hills as much as you can and you will get better. And seriously if you have to walk a couple of hills who cares

sounds like a nice trip.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 02-26-21, 06:28 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by Bmach
Find a I got to walk this hill near you. Ride it as far as you can then do it over and over. You need to ride hills as much as you can and you will get better. And seriously if you have to walk a couple of hills who cares

sounds like a nice trip.
I know repetition is the key here, and I'm already feeling a little better.
https://goo.gl/maps/PFyU91Vmua1cLhi67
^I plan to make this my regular ride once the weather starts improving, as it's near my house and is consistent elevation gain over 12 miles. That should get the legs into fighting form. I hope.

Thanks for the kick in the ass.
Old 02-28-21, 05:31 PM
SimplyCosmic

Bikes: Specialized AWOL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I look forward to hearing about your trip. As a fellow Ohio Clydesdale, that sounds like an awesome experience. Moreso that you'll have a group to watch out for each other along the way.
Likes For SimplyCosmic:
Old 02-28-21, 08:17 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Although being a clyde makes hills suck, if you can already ride half centuries you really shouldn't have too much trouble. I lived near Lake Ontario along a tour route for going around lake Ontario. Was nice to practice hills, I had 5 ways to go from my front door and 4 of them were down hill, the 5th was up. Wasn't uncommon to see riders of all sizes walking their bikes up the hills. Was a straight shot from my house to the state park people often camped in, wasn't a flat section for the whole 10 miles but 6 very serious hills and when you finished them you ran into the final climb into the town where the park was and wasn't uncommon to see a lot of seasoned riders pushing their way up that one. Sometimes getting off is just a fact, best to enjoy the walk and not let it bother you.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-01-21, 07:07 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by SimplyCosmic
I look forward to hearing about your trip. As a fellow Ohio Clydesdale, that sounds like an awesome experience. Moreso that you'll have a group to watch out for each other along the way.
I see that you're in NE Ohio. I am in the east 'burbs. Maybe we've crossed paths.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Sometimes getting off is just a fact, best to enjoy the walk and not let it bother you.
Appreciate the encouragement. Not a bad way of looking at it.
Old 03-01-21, 07:20 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
I didn't post this in the Touring section as I am asking in the context of Clydes/Athenas.

I'm planning the Ohio To Erie route in late August, all 326 miles of it, with some coworkers. None of us are pros, but we each have ridden multiple half-centuries in towpath and rail trail type environments. However, there is usually not significant elevation changes in these instances. The long hours in the saddle won't bother any of us, but the elevation will.

Anyway, yesterday, to check the navigability of a 17-mile road stretch between Fredericksburg and Dalton, I drove in the car and quickly became mentally overwhelmed by the hills. To a normal-sized rider, I am sure the elevation is no big deal, but I counted no less than 8 "gotta walk that one" hills.

I have 6 months to get my crap together on this, which seems like a lot of time, but also doesn't. I know I've got to incorporate more hills in my training, and will do so when the weather starts cooperating. I also have a new bike on order, since my 1x10 drivetrain has not really done me any favors with gear range for hills.

But, I guess I'd like to know if any other (super)Clydes/Athenas have attempted the OTET and what your takeaway from "hill country" is? Trying to psych myself back IN for this ride...
I have drove that section. and I will ride it this summer. if you have to walk walk.

Best advice I can give is get off the rail trails. You wont get used to hills any other way. If you are doing half centuries on the tow path and rail trails. I would go do like a 20 mile loop on country roads. Or try the emerald necklace trails they have more hills. 20 miles with hills will feel like a half century on tow path...
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 03-01-21, 07:49 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by sloppy12
Best advice I can give is get off the rail trails. You wont get used to hills any other way.
Yeah, the uncomfortable truth is that I'm going to have to incorporate more hills and less flats in my rides.

Since I'm totally out of riding shape, I'm going to at least start on the rail trail near my house (elevation map). I don't normally ride this one because of the elevation, but it will be a good start if nothing else. It's 11 miles of gradual climbing. Once the legs are strong and the lungs are cooperating, I can start road riding those hills.
Old 03-01-21, 08:23 AM
sloppy12

Yeah, the uncomfortable truth is that I'm going to have to incorporate more hills and less flats in my rides.

Since I'm totally out of riding shape, I'm going to at least start on the rail trail near my house (elevation map). I don't normally ride this one because of the elevation, but it will be a good start if nothing else. It's 11 miles of gradual climbing. Once the legs are strong and the lungs are cooperating, I can start road riding those hills.
what part of Ohio are you in? there is a group ride at dirty river this sunday at 10. its usually pretty chill under 10 miles but will have at least some hills.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 03-01-21, 09:06 AM
a_d_a_m

what part of Ohio are you in? there is a group ride at dirty river this sunday at 10. its usually pretty chill under 10 miles but will have at least some hills.
I'm about 30mi east of Cleveland. Working mornings this weekend so won't be able to attend; otherwise sounds like a cool time.

TBH never heard of Dirty River; glad to know there will be a bike shop literally across from one of my hotels when I do the OTET ride...chances are good I'll need something or other after 5 days...
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 03-01-21, 09:58 AM
sloppy12

I'm about 30mi east of Cleveland. Working mornings this weekend so won't be able to attend; otherwise sounds like a cool time.

TBH never heard of Dirty River; glad to know there will be a bike shop literally across from one of my hotels when I do the OTET ride...chances are good I'll need something or other after 5 days...
yeah stop in. they are cool guys. quite a few good shops on trail.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 03-04-21, 07:54 AM
a_d_a_m

Will definitely do so. I need to branch out and see the other bike shops in the area, since I only ever go to the one my buddy owns...

Since I'm totally out of riding shape, I'm going to at least start on the rail trail near my house (elevation map).
Went out yesterday and attempted a known flat route just to get warmed up. Unfortunately, that trail was iced over due to shade and I gave up after only 2 miles. Decided to go down to the rail trail by the house and give it a whirl. Normally, I can only ride the first leg of it if I stop three or four times. Yesterday, I only stopped twice (and one of those times was not necessary, but I decided to stop and let my riding partner get her breath). I guess I'm not as bad at hills as I thought. Still need practice.........
Old 03-04-21, 09:34 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
There is fitness and there is technique. They both matter when it comes to climbing hills. Obviously fitness first and foremost. If you are so gassed that your heart and lungs are screaming at you to stop halfway up the first hill suggests you won't have the endurance to do it. And that is just training. There is a huge difference between riding long, flat rides on MUPs and hills from a fitness standpoint. So being able to ride mostly flat terrain 30, 40 or 50 miles at a moderate aerobic pace. is a good start. Then you need to start doing hills. If you live in a mostly flat area, you need to seek out the biggest hills and do them a lot. maybe even doing the same hill 3 or 4 times.

Technique also makes a difference. Everybody is a little different, but as a Clyde I would say that finding an easy gear is the way to go so you don't push yourself into the red zone on your first hill and run out of gas later. I say this because I know people whose instinct is to stand up and sprint up the hill, or go out too hard on the first hill. Sometimes it is even worse if you are with a bunch of people and you get gassed trying to keep up with the rest of the group. IMO, that is a mistake. I have been on group rides where I got dropped off the back at first, only to catch and pass people later in the ride.

Last edited by MRT2; 03-04-21 at 09:54 AM.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 03-04-21, 10:25 AM
a_d_a_m

I have neither technique nor fitness at this point. However, 30-40-50 milers are already not a problem so long as there are only a few hills in the mix. So I think for the most part on the ride, I'll be absolutely fine by August if I can train appropriately. It's just that one hilly section that I'd psyched myself out on at the time of the original post. I'm already starting to feel more comfortable and aware that it'll happen, even if it takes me 10-12 hours to complete that one day...

I like your tip of riding the same hill 3 or 4 times. That's easily done, at least from a logistical standpoint, since the hardest one (and most comparable to the hilly section of OTET) is quite near my house.

And of course, I am speaking from a standpoint of riding a 1x steel frame 26" tire MTB...I am curious to see how my yet-to-be-delivered Kona Sutra helps in terms of hills, speed, blah blah blah. Have to believe it'll be at least a little easier.
Old 03-04-21, 10:30 AM
MRT2

I have neither technique nor fitness at this point. However, 30-40-50 milers are already not a problem so long as there are only a few hills in the mix. So I think for the most part on the ride, I'll be absolutely fine by August if I can train appropriately. It's just that one hilly section that I'd psyched myself out on at the time of the original post. I'm already starting to feel more comfortable and aware that it'll happen, even if it takes me 10-12 hours to complete that one day...

I like your tip of riding the same hill 3 or 4 times. That's easily done, at least from a logistical standpoint, since the hardest one (and most comparable to the hilly section of OTET) is quite near my house.

And of course, I am speaking from a standpoint of riding a 1x steel frame 26" tire MTB...I am curious to see how my yet-to-be-delivered Kona Sutra helps in terms of hills, speed, blah blah blah. Have to believe it'll be at least a little easier.
In gear inches, what is the easiest/lowest gear you have on your current bike, compared to the easiest gear combination on your new Kona Sutra?
Old 03-04-21, 11:25 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by MRT2
In gear inches, what is the easiest/lowest gear you have on your current bike, compared to the easiest gear combination on your new Kona Sutra?
I'm sorry to say that I lack the vocabulary to answer that...and won't be near the bike for a bit to do further investigation. (My current signature about being 'lousy at cycling' is the truth )

I know the Ragley I currently ride has a 42T up front, compared to the Sutra's 26-36-48 front and 11-36t 10-speed out back.
Old 03-04-21, 11:46 AM
MRT2

I'm sorry to say that I lack the vocabulary to answer that...and won't be near the bike for a bit to do further investigation. (My current signature about being 'lousy at cycling' is the truth )

I know the Ragley I currently ride has a 42T up front, compared to the Sutra's 26-36-48 front and 11-36t 10-speed out back.
This is not guess work. Use an online gear inch calculator to figure it out. Your gear inches for the Ragley for the 42 - 36 is 30.3 gear inches, which isn't bad. Unless you live somewhere with really long, steep hills, that is not a limiting factor as far as gearing. Now, having a bike with a 26 tooth chainring should give you an easier bailout gear, while also not having to use a something like an 11 - 36. My Salsa has a 26 - 27 combination, which is a bit over 26 gear inches. The thing is, I rarely use that easy gear as I am going really slow when pedaling in that gear, like maybe 6 or 8 mph, so it is a true bailout gear for when I am completely gassed. That said, when you need a bailout gear, you need it, if you get my drift. (it is either the bailout gear or walking).

Edit. I misread your post. So you have a 26 - 36 low gear which is an incredibly low 20 gear inches. honestly, I would have trouble staying upright trying to pedal a gear that low.

Last edited by MRT2; 03-04-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-04-21, 11:56 AM
a_d_a_m

Yeah, the bike was built several years ago out of pieces parts, just something that was intended to be a little bar-hopper around town. There wasn't a whole lot of thought that went into it other than "it's comfortable to ride locally". Of course, now that it's sort of turned into a light day tour bike, some of these concerns are coming to the service. I'll try and pull the Ragley and see if I can confirm the gear inches in the coming week.
Old 03-04-21, 12:00 PM
sloppy12

What do you have in the back of the 26er?

I am going to guess the sutra will amaze you. (friend rides one daily for work its a great bike.)

My 26er MTB has a 32 12/46(more offroad than on) it climbs great. my 90's steel MTB is 40 11/42 still climbs good but we have some hills around here that it sucks on.

I dont know what you have out back of that bike but I would dump that 42 and go to like a 36.
Old 03-04-21, 12:13 PM
MRT2

I am going to guess the sutra will amaze you. (friend rides one daily for work its a great bike.)

My 26er MTB has a 32 12/46(more offroad than on) it climbs great. my 90's steel MTB is 40 11/42 still climbs good but we have some hills around here that it sucks on.

I dont know what you have out back of that bike but I would dump that 42 and go to like a 36.
If OP rides mostly flat terrain, then a 42 isn't bad, especially if paired with a 36 tooth low gear.
Old 03-04-21, 12:22 PM
a_d_a_m

No idea. I plan to check sometime when I'm near the bike and not working. (I'm on an overtime binge for the next few days)

I am going to guess the sutra will amaze you.
I hope you're right.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 03-04-21, 12:40 PM
sloppy12

Originally Posted by MRT2
If OP rides mostly flat terrain, then a 42 isn't bad, especially if paired with a 36 tooth low gear.
I agree on flats and unloaded its not bad.

He is talking about hills and touring. that's not a great starting point for that. If he for sure has a 36 on cassette(which sounds like he is not sure) I would swap to a 32 or a 36 at the very least.