Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Plastic bashguard and chaingring bolt torque

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-26-21, 07:47 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts

I have a compact double on my commuter, and I haven't shifted to the big ring for like a year. I have a 3D printer and am thinking about replacing the big ring with an ornamental 'bash guard' (and also ditching the shifter and mech)

How tight do chainring bolts need to be (given the force is always orthogonal to the tightening direction), and would that crush plastic?

(For those that know 3D printing, I only ever use PLA, which is not as hard as other materials such as PETG or ABS)
Old 02-26-21, 08:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Transferring bolt torque to actual surface pressures (to see if the PLA can hold up) is way beyond me. Park lists about 8-14 NM of torque for steel bolts Torque Specifications and Concepts | Park Tool

My approach would be to file/sand off the teeth from a worn out ring and avoid the cool factor of 3D printing. Andy
Old 02-26-21, 08:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Transferring bolt torque to actual surface pressures (to see if the PLA can hold up) is way beyond me. Park lists about 8-14 NM of torque for steel bolts Torque Specifications and Concepts | Park Tool

My approach would be to file/sand off the teeth from a worn out ring and avoid the cool factor of 3D printing. Andy
I'm way too cool for that
Old 02-26-21, 09:19 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Guessing that incorporating steel washers and threadlocker into the assembly might maybe help hold things together without breaking.

I used a jigsaw and file a couple of decades ago to turn a worn big ring into a chainguard for a single ring setup. Definitely not ornamental.
Old 02-26-21, 09:27 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
I would never use plastic and then torque chainring bolts.

In a pinch, I have used an old bike as a poor man’s lathe in turning an old chainring down to a bash/chain guard. All it takes is a file and the desire to keep turning the crank by hand. Also, a towel over the spindle to help keep the shavings out.

John
Old 02-27-21, 01:04 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
We can actually do what Andy says: assuming the threads are perfectly lubricated (i.e. the bolts can rotate with no friction in the threads), the work done in one full rotation of a bolt is 2*pi* torque. For a metric 8 x 0.75 chainring bolt the compression force is
(work done in one rotation)/(thread pitch) = 2*pi*torque_in_Nm / (0.75 * 10^-3 m) = 850 kgf * torque_in_Nm.

For a 1 Nm torque this is 850 kg force. Are we getting the number right?

Of course there is also friction between the bolt head and the washer/bash guard.
Old 02-27-21, 08:29 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
We can actually do what Andy says: assuming the threads are perfectly lubricated (i.e. the bolts can rotate with no friction in the threads), the work done in one full rotation of a bolt is 2*pi* torque. For a metric 8 x 0.75 chainring bolt the compression force is
(work done in one rotation)/(thread pitch) = 2*pi*torque_in_Nm / (0.75 * 10^-3 m) = 850 kgf * torque_in_Nm.

For a 1 Nm torque this is 850 kg force. Are we getting the number right?

Of course there is also friction between the bolt head and the washer/bash guard.
That is just the resting force. To the force exerted by torqueing the fastener you must then add the force exerted by pedaling.
Old 02-27-21, 08:42 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

I’m thinking this thread is more about just wanting to use a 3D printer. The outer ring has been there for years, no real reason to remove it even if the FD and shifter are removed.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-27-21, 09:10 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
If you're inner and out rings are fastened by the same bolts and as mentioned by others already I also think using a plastic ring, which has to support enough torque to keep the inner ring stable, is going to risk cracking. You could always try it and keep an eye out for cracks and check the tightness of the bolts but there are enough cheap metal types available on Ebay or elsewhere to make it worth buying one and as also mentioned already you could just keep the outer ring as is or file down the teeth for the same effect. Examples here. I just used a search for 110 BCD rings but use whatever fits your cranks if different. bicycle 110 bcd chainring bashguards - Google Shopping
Old 02-27-21, 03:52 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I’m thinking this thread is more about just wanting to use a 3D printer. The outer ring has been there for years, no real reason to remove it even if the FD and shifter are removed.
You have seen deep inside my soul
Old 02-27-21, 06:39 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I support this idea on principle. 3D printing bike parts is just awesome.

As long as the female part of the chainring bolt fully supports the inner ring and passes through the bolt hole on the crank arm, you don’t need an insane amount of bolting tension to keep everything in place under pedaling load. Also, the plastic ring is not being subjected to the pedaling torque.The torque on the chainring is being transferred to the crank through the female half of the chaining bolt that passes through the crank arm spider and the chainring.

That said, the only plastic bash I ever had used metal sleeve inserts in the bolt holes.

If you do this, I would try to make it so that a wide washer could go between the head of the chainring bolt and the plastic bash so that you can tighten it to spec.

And since this is being 3D printed, it is important that this be a cool looking design.

All that said, you can get BBG bash guard for about $22 shipped.

Post pics!

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-27-21 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-27-21, 07:23 PM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by Kapusta
it is important that this be a cool looking design.
So I guess my filing while turning the crank doesn’t fit the criteria.

What if I splatter paint it as I’m cranking it?

John
Old 02-27-21, 08:07 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
So I guess my filing while turning the crank doesn’t fit the criteria.

What if I splatter paint it as I’m cranking it?

John
That would be fine if you don't have a 3D printer.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-27-21, 08:53 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I support this idea on principle. 3D printing bike parts is just awesome.

As long as the female part of the chainring bolt fully supports the inner ring and passes through the bolt hole on the crank arm, you don’t need an insane amount of bolting tension to keep everything in place under pedaling load. Also, the plastic ring is not being subjected to the pedaling torque.The torque on the chainring is being transferred to the crank through the female half of the chaining bolt that passes through the crank arm spider and the chainring.

That said, the only plastic bash I ever had used metal sleeve inserts in the bolt holes.

If you do this, I would try to make it so that a wide washer could go between the head of the chainring bolt and the plastic bash so that you can tighten it to spec.

And since this is being 3D printed, it is important that this be a cool looking design.

All that said, you can get BBG bash guard for about $22 shipped.
Yeah, I've seen BBG, and they're cheap enough it almost eliminates the desire to 3D print one.

Post pics!
Whatever happens, I will. But not only am I cheap, I'm also lazy. So it might happen in a week, it might take a few years.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 03-01-21, 07:10 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
If you are going to remove the big sprocket then surely all you need is a set of tubular spacers the same thickness as the sprocket and enough clearance on the 3D printed guard to fit on the spacers?
Old 03-01-21, 07:48 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Geepig
If you are going to remove the big sprocket then surely all you need is a set of tubular spacers the same thickness as the sprocket and enough clearance on the 3D printed guard to fit on the spacers?
If I am reading this right, I had the same though you did, initially. The issue I see there is that unless the plastic guard was a snug fit over the spacers, it would rattle.

I guess it depends how precise the printing is.
Old 03-01-21, 08:39 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
If you really want to use the 3D printer what about just creating a thingy that snaps on to the outer ring in any kind of creative design you can think of? No fasteners needed.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-01-21, 10:43 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

That's not a bad idea, just a precisely-sized plastic dish with a slightly recessed rim so it can snap onto the big ring teeth
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 03-01-21, 12:07 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's not a bad idea, just a precisely-sized plastic dish with a slightly recessed rim so it can snap onto the big ring teeth
Maybe heat the chainring with a torch and set it into the plastic dish.
Old 03-01-21, 01:21 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Yeah, I've seen BBG, and they're cheap enough it almost eliminates the desire to 3D print one.
But, but....I have a hammer (3d printer), everything must be a nail!
+1 for BBG, I bought a nice anodized one for my Yeti.
And yes, I'm also a 3d printer addict (FDM & SLA). Definitely experiment with PETG for functional prints. It's way less brittle than PLA.
I've printed mounts for bike lights, protectors for shipping, and a bunch of other things for bikes.
Old 03-01-21, 01:42 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by gsa103
And yes, I'm also a 3d printer addict (FDM & SLA). Definitely experiment with PETG for functional prints. It's way less brittle than PLA.
I've printed mounts for bike lights, protectors for shipping, and a bunch of other things for bikes.
I belonged to a Maker Space for a while and my favorite saying was “Why buy something for $20 when you can make it for $30?”
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-01-21, 04:13 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I belonged to a Maker Space for a while and my favorite saying was “Why buy something for $20 when you can make it for $30?”
That's amusing, but if I made something, it would cost me maybe 50c in materials (and $200 in time, but only if my leisure time is billable same as work, which is not realistic)
Old 03-01-21, 04:17 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by gsa103
I've printed a bunch of bike stuff, about half the stuff in my thingiverse 'bike' collection, as well as a beer-cap stem-cap
Old 03-01-21, 05:13 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

That's amusing, but if I made something, it would cost me maybe 50c in materials (and $200 in time, but only if my leisure time is billable same as work, which is not realistic)
Yeah, right. Start factoring in the cost of the printer, cost of maintenance, the number of times a job gets botched, and your time both on the job and on the 3D printer in general. That BBG bash starts to look cheaper.

There is nothing wrong with it, I just find if funny. I've been there, I get it. I did a ton of work on a laser cutter, and I liked to tell myself the stuff I made only cost me the cost of the wood. Sounds, good, anyway

But as you said, this is leisure and gratification. Its all good.
Old 03-01-21, 05:34 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Lucky for me, I won the printer in a raffle, and I'm too cheap to maintain it. If I botch the job twice, I'm out $1.50. As for my time, it's hobby time I get enjoyment from (otherwise I wouldn't do it).

How much does it cost me in time when it takes me 2 hours to change my own bar tape instead of paying for a professional bike mechanic to do it right first time in 30 seconds?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.