Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Separate bike, separate shoes?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 06:52 PM
revjpb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For those with more than one bike, do you have a separate pair of road shoes for each bike for the sake of cleat positioning/fit? Probably a stupid question and y'all are gonna make fun of me...but that what's the internet for, right?

Since getting into road cycling about 3 years ago with an all around basic bike (Specialized Allez), I've discovered I enjoy riding long distances and am looking at purchasing another bike to better serve that purpose (not that I can't on the Allez, but it's not built for endurance riding). When I purchased a bike fit, the fitter adjusted my saddle, stem length, cleats, and such. I plan on getting a proper fit with a second bike as well. So does it stand to reason I'll probably need a separate pair of road shoes to accommodate different cleat positions for the other bike? Or is it possible I just use the same shoes & cleat positions?
Old 03-01-21, 06:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
2 bikes, 1 with Look Keo and the other with SPD so 2 sets of shoes.
Old 03-01-21, 10:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
As above, only if you need to have different pedals, which you shouldn't anyway unless one bike has a pedal-based power meter and you want SPD for the other. Cleat position and tuning should be the same.
Old 03-02-21, 12:43 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Most folks would attempt to match the fit on a second bike.

Can't think why cleat position would be different.

I have various shoes & three different pedal/cleat types, but no intentional difference in cleat position.
Old 03-02-21, 09:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I suppose you might want different shoes if you are so in tune with your body and your bikes and one has different qualities or things that affect where you want your foot placed.

I put the same model pedals on all my road bikes so I use the same shoe. I'm not so in tune with everything that I feel I need unique shoes for each bike.

However if one bike you ride in conditions that you stay clean and the other bike you ride in conditions you get muddy, then that might suggest using different shoes.

NOTE: In no way should different shoe be taken to exclusively mean different cleat type. That's a and/or thing.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-02-21 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-02-21, 10:56 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Lots of bikes. About a dozen have Looks with original Delta style cleat. I've about 4 pairs of shoes.

If not clipped in = flat pedals or with toe clips and straps.

Not a mountain biker.