Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Chain broke on vintage Bianchi Hybrid

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 11:41 PM
mahlers2nd

Bikes: Suteki Mixte, Bianchi Hybrid Mixte, Liv Alight 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I rescued a vintage Bianchi hybrid last year. I had it tuned up and gone over by a bike mechanic... asked for her to check it out and see if there was anything that I should be concerned about. She replaced the brakes and tires, good lube etc. She didn’t mention that there was anything else wrong and commented that it looked like it was in great shape and someone must have just parked it in their garage fir years.

So I took it out for a ride and while I was going up a bit of a hill and was also shifting, the chain broke.

So my question is whether the chain broke because of my weight (over 300 lbs :-O ), or was the chain likely weakened due to age?

im trying to decide if I got the chain replaced, would I have the same issue.

FWIW, I have a newish Giant hybrid that I’ve ridden several times up that same hill with no issues.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 03-11-21, 12:18 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Old chains break sometimes. I doubt that it is your weight. I don't know how an inspection would indicate that the chain would break. Chains for the older bikes are cheap, put a new one on and see what happens.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 03-14-21, 07:59 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Doesn't matter how work the chain is, at 300lb, forcing your way up a hill while shifting gears under load will f*ck at least something up.
Old 03-14-21, 08:00 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I've seen a friends derailleur hangar snap clean in half shifting down multiple gears while pedalling full force out of the saddle up a relatively steep hill. Don't be that guy.
Old 03-16-21, 02:26 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by mahlers2nd
So I rescued a vintage Bianchi hybrid last year. I had it tuned up and gone over by a bike mechanic... asked for her to check it out and see if there was anything that I should be concerned about. She replaced the brakes and tires, good lube etc. She didn’t mention that there was anything else wrong and commented that it looked like it was in great shape and someone must have just parked it in their garage fir years.

So I took it out for a ride and while I was going up a bit of a hill and was also shifting, the chain broke.

So my question is whether the chain broke because of my weight (over 300 lbs :-O ), or was the chain likely weakened due to age?

im trying to decide if I got the chain replaced, would I have the same issue.

FWIW, I have a newish Giant hybrid that I’ve ridden several times up that same hill with no issues.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Shift before the hill..

Just put a new chain on it and forget about it
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 03-16-21, 04:27 PM
mahlers2nd

Bikes: Suteki Mixte, Bianchi Hybrid Mixte, Liv Alight 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I do need to improve my shifting skills but sometimes it’s hard to plan ahead especially when you’re out of shape.

I’ll put a new chain on it.

I have ridden my newer bike several times since then with no issues... a) because now I expect the hill and b) I just think the newer bike “ works better” (newer chain, shifters etc)

Thanks again!