Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

1978 Sturmey Dynohub x 2021 B&M OneFive

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 08:34 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,819 Times in 1,058 Posts

This was a bit of a COVID social distancing project.

So, I wound up with this new-in-box 1978 Sturmey-Archer Dynohub. I found out why it was still new-in-box: it was 36 spoke American but with a 90mm OLD (British roadster). Yeah, I had to swap out the axle, which was an adventure. Anyway, I spoked it up in NOS 27" rim, shod it with a 'handmade in Germany' Conti and spun on some axle wing nuts.

Well, then I had this quirky 43 y.o., 1.8W dynamo (magneto) hub. Might as well hook a headlamp to it, right? I had an old B&M Lumotec 3W halogen in the 'Big Box of Parts Under the Workbench' so I wired that up. As you can guess, with a 27" wheel spinning @ neighborhood speeds I could almost make out the beam it threw onto the pavement. Phthphth.

So I did a little state of the industry review and ordered a B&M OneFive LED. Yeah, baby, that's what I'm talkin' about - it's no IQ-X, but it throws a nicely shaped, very useable beam of bright white light.

Last edited by tcs; 03-14-21 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-12-21, 12:51 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
always nice to get an old piece of gear back in use again! Especially something as classic as the Dyno-hub!

The old incandescent bulbs were really weak when compared to the early LEDs. It's amazing that we were ever able to feel our way through the darkness with them. Using a 3W bulb at about half power means that the light output will be down to a tiny fraction of what it should be, so no surprise that it looked awful. Glad that a modern LED light was able to operate acceptably from the Dyno-hub's modest output!

Steve in Peoria
Old 03-12-21, 06:39 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Glad that a modern LED light was able to operate acceptably from the Dyno-hub's modest output!
The B&M OneFive LED headlamp is allegedly optimized for the 1.5W dynamo hubs that Shimano and SP make these days, and I'm giving it a trial mating it to a hub rated at 1.8W 43 years ago. I'm told the old Sturmey Dynohubs can acceptably light up low to medium lumen LED headlamps rated at 3W, but won't give you everything you paid for if you've got one of the big German photon cannons mounted on your bike.
Old 03-12-21, 07:04 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I run an eyc off a 1.5W hub on my commuter. I don't think the onefive was available back when I set it up. The slow speed flickering would drive me nuts climbing hills at night but actually is probably beneficial for visibilty in city traffic.
Old 03-12-21, 07:26 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
The B&M OneFive LED headlamp is allegedly optimized for the 1.5W dynamo hubs that Shimano and SP make these days, and I'm giving it a trial mating it to a hub rated at 1.8W 43 years ago. I'm told the old Sturmey Dynohubs can acceptably light up low to medium lumen LED headlamps rated at 3W, but won't give you everything you paid for if you've got one of the big German photon cannons mounted on your bike.
I didn't know that there were headlamps rated for that low power. I wonder if it still meets German standards?
I'd be surprised if the standard LED headlamps would perform noticeably worse than the 1.5W headlamps. A 1.5W headlamp could be smaller and cheaper than a standard 3W version, due to the lower voltages and/or currents, and the reduced amount of heat to get out of the LED. ...and it would still be hugely better than the old incandescent Lumotec that I still have in my parts box!

Steve in Peoria
(I really do need to get rid of some of my old stuff)
Old 03-12-21, 11:08 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I assume there are fewer poles in the low power dynamo so lights designed for them might need a larger smoothing capacitor.
Old 03-13-21, 06:39 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Last summer I met someone that had a 1960s or 70s vintage Raleigh three speed bike with dynohub and vintage light. He had installed a LED flashlight bulb in the light but he complained that at slow speed it flashed. I commented that it could be improved with a rectifier because his LED bulb likely only worked on half of the AC cycles, but I think that the term rectifier was something he was not familiar with. If you wanted to try your vintage light again, an LED flashlight bulb plus rectifier might be an option if your interest was closer to bike restoration that gave you more light than the incandescent bulb that you tried.

Originally Posted by tcs
... photon cannons mounted on your bike.
I will try to remember that phrase for next time I am behind the wheel at night and am blinded by some moron that thinks his strobe light makes the world a safer place.
Old 03-13-21, 10:05 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I didn't know that there were headlamps rated for that low power. I wonder if it still meets German standards?
Yep, apparently, the industry convinced the StVZO folks a dynamo (magneto) hub driving an LED @ 1.5W can put out plenty enough light to meet the standard.

"The intention was to encourage the use of smaller, lighter and cheaper low power dynamo hubs in place of the less reliable sidewall generators that were still found as OEM on most German utility/town bikes."

The StVZO standard was written around filament bulbs, but the world has left filament bulbs behind. Dynamo hubs are (and always have been) current sources, not voltage sources, and modern lamp driver electronics regulate the voltage across the LED. Some smart girls and boys explained to me with a series of graphs, equations and circuit diagrams I didn't quite follow that's why an old 1.8W Dynohub™ can light up a modern 30~40 lux "3W" LED headlamp just fine.

Last edited by tcs; 03-13-21 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-13-21, 10:10 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you wanted to try your vintage light again, an LED flashlight bulb plus rectifier might be an option if your interest was closer to bike restoration that gave you more light than the incandescent bulb that you tried.
Just for grins I put an LED blub in an old Boy Scout flashlight. I got plenty of photons, but because an LED isn't suspended above the reflector the way a filament is, the flashlight put out kind of a goofy beam.