Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Trek Verve +2 or Verve #3 or Momentum LaFree

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-21, 04:34 PM
macadam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have identified these three e bikes as my preferred options. Trek Verve +2, Trek Verve +3 or Momentum LaFree. One of the reasons for narrowing down to these three is the availability of a local bike shop for these models. I realize that I may be excluding some worthy e-bikes, but local shops are important for me for maintenance and repair down the line.

My question is how these three bikes compare? The relative advantages and disadvantages of each. I have been reading that there is a difference in belt vs.chain relative on Treks and Momentum. This is not my only consideration. I mention this comparison because I can't identify a clear advantage between the two. Some reviews say that belts are less maintenance, others say that when the belt breaks, there is no easy repair.

All things considered, not just belt vs. chain, which would you recommend?

Thanks
Old 03-12-21, 05:14 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12190 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
Go like Goldilocks
Old 03-13-21, 12:47 AM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
The belt drive model style was only offered on the LaFree for 2018 and 2019, and has been discontinued. All Momentum models have only chain gearing. It looks like the Trek Verve models also only have a chain/derailleur gearing.

You need to go to the stores and try out the bikes. Pay attention to the torque, and how many power level increments are offered on each bike has to send power to the motor. You'll want to see how quiet each motor is when in use. Riding them yourself is realistically the only way to see what model suits you and which ride the best for you.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 03-13-21 at 12:52 AM.
Likes For momsonherbike:
Old 03-13-21, 08:24 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
I've never had a "belt" bike, but if I did there would be a spare belt in my backpack. The one time in forty years that I broke a chain on the trail, it was easily repaired, not so with belts. At times my wife and I have been too far away from civilization to contemplate a non-functioning bike.
Old 03-13-21, 11:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
The one time I have seen a broken belt was after a customer lodged his earbuds in the belt and it broke after he continued pedaling. We do sell a lot of belt drive bikes and have for a while and so far even on our heavy use e-bikes everything is still going strong. However the benefit of a belt drive bike is carrying a belt doesn't add a ton of weight but it does take up space.

In terms of the OPs question if those were the only options available anywhere within a significant range around me then I would probably go for the Trek Verve+ 3. Bosch is a better option for being worked on at different shops. However I would much rather have something that is Bosch Performance line (or Cargo line if a cargo bike) and at least a 10 speed rear derailleur, Enviolo/NuVinci (if I am not abusive to shifting) or if I am feeling spendier Rohloff E-14 and ideally an integrated battery for cleaner looks but if external that is fine but the ability to do a 625wh battery is nice. However a big part of all this is feel of the bikes. Take them out on some decent test rides (not a short lap in the parking lot or around the block actually find some hills and go out for 10-20 minutes (or longer if the shop is cool with that, just let them know and make sure they have your credit card and ID so you have a reason to come back).