Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need a headset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need a headset

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-21, 07:46 PM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Need a headset

I bought a new frame and fork, and need to get a headset. When I have bought new forks before I always let the shop order one and I left it at that. From the bikes co. site it says “Traditional 1 1/8th chromoly head tube, for a standard 1 1/8th headset,”. I know I need 1 1/8 with external bearings, but will any headset work?
Become reality to me
Old 03-17-21, 09:11 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
No, not all 1-1/8" headset will work, you need a headset with these specs: EC34/28.6/EC34/30. This is the most common type of 1-1/8" headset but there are others that have larger cup diameters and both EC (external cup) and ZS (zero stack) style press-in cups.

Cane Creek 40 Series, Velo Orange Gran Cru and others offer your required headset configuration at reasonable cost. Chris King and the Cane Creek 110 series are also available and very good but at much higher cost.

I recently made the mistake of thinking all 1-1/8" headsets were the same and ordered a headset having the specs I posted above. It turns out my new frame needed a ZS44/28.6/EC44/30 format so I now own a new "standard" 1-1/8" headset that sits in my parts box waiting for one of my older bikes to need it.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-18-21, 02:55 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
What @HillRider said. The Cane Creek 40 series are very good, at a decent price, and pretty easy to install. If you want to spend money for top of the line, probably the Chris King.
Old 03-18-21, 06:53 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
FWIW, I've got this headset for sale locally ($10 + shipping). Let me know if you're interested (it's new).

Old 03-18-21, 11:54 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Cane Creek is my go to for headsets generally 110 but have some 40s that are fine (but wouldn't go below that) The only time I have strayed from CC is when I am looking at vintage stuff or 3DV then it has been Chris King beyond that White Industries and Phil Wood make excellent headsets as well in the U.S. and if you like understated Phil is the way to go.
Old 03-18-21, 01:04 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Couple of questions, are threadless headset stack heights of any importance in the selection?

I’ve never considered it to be, but with carbon steerers and limited spacer height, would a taller stack help if someone wanted a longer steerer?

John
Old 03-18-21, 04:15 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Couple of questions, are threadless headset stack heights of any importance in the selection?

I’ve never considered it to be, but with carbon steerers and limited spacer height, would a taller stack help if someone wanted a longer steerer?
Stack height would be an issue if you have a steerer cut so short that it just reaches 3 mm or so below the top of the stem clamp with no spacers. Otherwise stack heights for threadless headsets don't vary that much and probably not enough to compensate for a longer than advised spacer stack.

BTW, the maximum spacer stack allowed under a 1-1/8" carbon steerer varies a bit by fork manufacturer but is usually 40 to 50mm. For a 1" carbon steerer I've seen a 25 mm maximum spacer stack specified.
Likes For HillRider: