Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front wheel malfunctioning after crash

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front wheel malfunctioning after crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 07:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by marwahnur27
I just uploaded the pics to my gallery under my pictures. I know there are none of the fork but it’s late right now so I can’t rlly go out. In the pics I layed the bike straight down and that’s how the front wheel looked. But there’s rlly no one here that’s ever crashed like this and had this issue
If the gallery you uploaded the pic's to wasn't on BF then you need to share that location with us. Your profile doesn't indicate that you've created an album.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-24-21, 07:47 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Iride01 has spotted another malfunction. Please indicate location of the pictures. Also, you have 10 posts no so can upload pictures directly AFAIK

Without seeing the bike, I assume people are correct that the fork and/or frame is/are bent. Sometimes this happens and it still tracks straight, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes (often) it is so severe that the bike is unsafe to ride.
Old 03-24-21, 07:50 AM
ClydeClydeson

Also, as a dad to teenagers, if they came to me and told me they crashed a bike (even mine) I wouldn't be mad - nobody crashes a bike on purpose.

THe first new bike I bought for my son, a small framed 26" wheel specialized, got a bent rear wheel after a few months. My son was nervous about telling me, but I was not mad in the least - 13 year old boys are supposed to crash their bikes. Both my sons have, I did, my dad did, and my grandpa did (although probably on the way to work).
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 03-24-21, 01:50 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Uhmmm no. I was never like this. Reel my neck in? What's that supposed to mean? Aren't you the head mod here?
You were never new at all things bike? You were born with the knowledge? Dang, I gotta give you a :fistbump: for that.

Reel yer neck in. It's British.

And no, I'm not the head mod here. Not at all.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 03-24-21, 02:28 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
No, I wasn't born w/ the knowledge but I had respect for the people that did have it. I was taught to look at problems in a logical way and not ask the same question repeatedly. If I was told my question couldn't be answered because (for example) I didn't bring the bike into the shop, I accepted the answer and never pushed for a fix because I understood what the guy at the shop was saying. The OP keeps saying there is something wrong w/ his bike and wants to know how to fix it, then says it's fine, he's been riding it but can't ride no-hands...cuz maybe there's something wrong w/ it. Kids have to learn how the world works at some point, this is a pretty painless place to learn some of those lessons.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-24-21, 02:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Pics finally showed up..........

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/20944925

Are you sure the stem didn't slip in the steerer tube putting the handlebars out of alignment with the wheel?

I can't tell from the pic's where anything is actually rubbing. Though the lack of concern for getting the bike evenly lit by the bright sun leaves a lot of the places I'd like to see in the dark shadows.
Old 03-24-21, 03:08 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
Top two photos confirm that the fork is bent. The frame might be bent, too; can't tell from any of the photos.

The fork can't be safely repaired. Looks like quite an inexpensive bike, from Walmart, Target, or the equivalent, so it would almost certainly be cheaper to replace the bike than to buy and install a new fork.

Here's your chance to step up, in your father's eyes, if you tell him the story and offer to replace the bike or to pay for it.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-24-21, 03:14 PM
ClydeClydeson

Fork is obviously very bent. With such severe damage I would cease riding that bike.

No frame damage is visible in those pictures. Looks like the fork took the brunt of the impact.
Old 03-24-21, 03:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

He'd know for sure if he'd just let a bike shop mechanic look at it. They'll usually tell you what's wrong and what they'd do to fix it. You only pay if you let them work on it..... usually.
Old 03-25-21, 08:10 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
No, I wasn't born w/ the knowledge but I had respect for the people that did have it. I was taught to look at problems in a logical way and not ask the same question repeatedly. If I was told my question couldn't be answered because (for example) I didn't bring the bike into the shop, I accepted the answer and never pushed for a fix because I understood what the guy at the shop was saying. The OP keeps saying there is something wrong w/ his bike and wants to know how to fix it, then says it's fine, he's been riding it but can't ride no-hands...cuz maybe there's something wrong w/ it. Kids have to learn how the world works at some point, this is a pretty painless place to learn some of those lessons.
You don't know the OP personally and have to right to judge him.

Not everyone has the perfect circumstances that you did.

Reel yer neck in.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-25-21, 08:37 AM
marwahnur27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Pics finally showed up..........

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/20944925

Are you sure the stem didn't slip in the steerer tube putting the handlebars out of alignment with the wheel?

I can't tell from the pic's where anything is actually rubbing. Though the lack of concern for getting the bike evenly lit by the bright sun leaves a lot of the places I'd like to see in the dark shadows.
I can get better pics, what part do you need to see specifically
Old 03-25-21, 08:44 AM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind

Reel yer neck in.
thanks man, not everyone is rewarded for there honesty. I get that a lot of people are saying it’s not fixable but if they see the pics once I get better pics maybe someone might actually diagnose it if it doesn’t look too serious. I know I’m being annoying but I just want to know for sure, for sure. I promise I will have the pics up by the end of the day. Also does anyone know why every time I try to login it says wrong password so then I have to make a whole new password each time I login, I literally have the password saved in the browser and it still does this.
Old 03-25-21, 08:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
The pics show a severely bent fork. It looks like the frame isn't bent. You can get a replacement fork. I wouldn't ride on that one. The way it's built means that it will probably break if someone tried to bend it back.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-25-21, 08:50 AM
ClydeClydeson

thanks man, not everyone is rewarded for there honesty. I get that a lot of people are saying it’s not fixable but if they see the pics once I get better pics maybe someone might actually diagnose it if it doesn’t look too serious. I know I’m being annoying but I just want to know for sure, for sure. I promise I will have the pics up by the end of the day. Also does anyone know why every time I try to login it says wrong password so then I have to make a whole new password each time I login, I literally have the password saved in the browser and it still does this.
I can say with 100% certainty that the fork is ruined. It's supposed to come straight out of the frame or be slightly angled forward, but yours is significantly angled back. THe upper tubes of the fork (the stanchions) are bent to hell. There may be other damage but no way to tell without closer examination of the bike.

The fork is without question 100% certainly ruined. Closer or more detailed pictures will only possibly expose more damage, there is 0% chance more detail will disprove the damage to the fork.
Old 03-25-21, 08:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Well I think the others have accurately ID the issue. The forks are pushed backwards and they or the steerer tube is bent. Maybe even something bent with the head tube and downtube. But that last bit is conjecture. You'll at a minimum need a new fork.

But a pic from the side with the front wheel aligned straight with the frame will be nice.... and not in the shadows.

Maybe something like these. And if you can also get us an opinion from a mechanic at a bike shop, that'd help too.

******* NOT THE OP"S BIKE *****************

******* NOT THE OP"S BIKE *****************
Old 03-25-21, 08:53 AM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Top two photos confirm that the fork is bent. The frame might be bent, too; can't tell from any of the photos.

The fork can't be safely repaired. Looks like quite an inexpensive bike, from Walmart, Target, or the equivalent, so it would almost certainly be cheaper to replace the bike than to buy and install a new fork.

Here's your chance to step up, in your father's eyes, if you tell him the story and offer to replace the bike or to pay for it.
umm that sounds like a lovely way to end the story if this was actually a story. I’m not tryna troll but u think I would actually go as far as to ask random people on the internet if I could’ve just gone to my dad and been like hey, just crashed ur bike and he’d be like thanks for being honest kid, it’s aright, and everything would be dandy. If it’s actually as serious as everyone is saying I know the only thing left to do is take it to a shop and replace it.
Old 03-25-21, 08:58 AM
ClydeClydeson

Iride01 is correct. Look closely at the pictures they posted - if you put a straight edge up to the head tube (the part of the frame through which the fork passes), the axle of the front wheel is in front of that line. Now do the same with your dad's bike - the axle is significantly behind the line. The fork is bent back, likely the stanchions, but possibly as iride01 says, it might be the steerer (the part of the fork inside the frame). Either way, it's not repairable or safe to ride as-is. A new replacement fork of similar quality, if you can find one, is probably around $50-$80. A whole replacement bike of similar quality should be less than $200.
Old 03-25-21, 09:22 AM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Better pics

Old 03-25-21, 09:42 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Time to end this right here . Go buy a new bike.

Likes For trailangel:
Old 03-25-21, 09:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Yep, you need a fork. I think the bend in the down tube is meant to be there. But only a hands on and eyes on person will know for sure. The headsets, upper and lower need to be looked at and some other things that might be gotchas from the wreck that might need replacing. As well, there is still the wheel that needs to be looked at.

All in all, it might be a toss up whether you ought to just send that bike to the scrapyard and get a new one in the same price range..... or better if you can. Fixing that up without the DIY skills already in place might be costlier than even a high priced bike from a bike shop.

You'd really have to hope you can find the correct suspension fork for free.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22431698905...RoCHqAQAvD_BwE
Old 03-25-21, 09:58 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind

Reel yer neck in.
But you for some reason have the right to judge me? No, sorry. You seem to be the only one that has a problem w/ anything I've posted, the OP himself hasn't even complained about any of it. Are you maybe on a little bit of a power trip? Are you 'chuffed' w/ your authority (cool how I snuck in a Brit term, yeah?).
Old 03-25-21, 10:07 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts

This is your dads bike? This looks like a childs bike, like for ages 7-10. Somethings off here...
Old 03-25-21, 10:10 AM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
No, im dead serious. Hes only like 5'4 so its a liitle short but hes still able to ride it.
Old 03-25-21, 10:13 AM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If the gallery you uploaded the pic's to wasn't on BF then you need to share that location with us. Your profile doesn't indicate that you've created an album.
It was a joke, but like kinda not, u feel me.
Old 03-25-21, 10:14 AM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
This is your dads bike? This looks like a childs bike, like for ages 7-10. Somethings off here...
We're of the shorter race. Don't stress bout it.
Likes For marwahnur27:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.