Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Schwalbe G-One All Around

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 04:24 PM
Unsled

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Schwalbe G-One All Around

I've been riding on G-One All Arounds for a couple of years in their 38c version. They've seen a lot of use and are wearing down a bit. As I think about replacing them, I have the distinct impression from what I've been reading that the the G-One AAs have been getting bad reviews for poor rolling resistance. Sometimes it is rather difficult to tell which version of the tyre is being tested. It seems to be the new ones with a different casing and compound that are faring poorly. But does anyone have a clear picture of whether they're still good tyres? Most of the discussions I've seen concerning the new 38c tyres. Does anyone know if the 35c tyres have the same problems?

I'd be very happy to stick with the G-Ones if they aren't giving up 10 watts to a similar tyre like the Terra Speed. I was thinking of going down to 35mm, as I like the feeling of narrower tyres on tarmac. That seems to be more or less the true measure of the G-One 35c tyres, but the Terra Speed 35c tyres seem to measure in at more like 32mm, which is a bit small.

Any insights or opinions greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Unsled; 03-25-21 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Changed '35mm' to '32mm' in the last line of the second paragraph
Old 03-24-21, 06:57 PM
Dominae

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
My personal opinion is that the 35 mm G-One All Arounds are one of the best tires I have ever used for mixed tarmac/light gravel. The only problem is that they seem to wear our very quickly. The other tire that I like to use is the Gravel King and those seem to wear better than the G-Ones. I might replace my 35 mm G-Ones with the semi slick 35 mm Gravel Kings next to see if they are more long lasting.
Old 03-25-21, 03:44 AM
Unsled

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the answer! I've been very happy with the G-One AAs that I've been using, although they're a size up, for similar riding. Although I've thought it would be better to size down. My main worry is just that the latest edition of the tyres, which apparently use a heavier casing, is that they are much stiffer and roll less well. But if the new tyres work more or less as well as the old ones, I'm happy to stick with them. I also found that the durability was so-so with 38c AAs, but on the other hand I've been impressed that I haven't seen any punctures despite a lot of riding in bad conditions.
Old 03-25-21, 08:18 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Unsled
Thanks for the answer! I've been very happy with the G-One AAs that I've been using, although they're a size up, for similar riding. Although I've thought it would be better to size down. My main worry is just that the latest edition of the tyres, which apparently use a heavier casing, is that they are much stiffer and roll less well. But if the new tyres work more or less as well as the old ones, I'm happy to stick with them. I also found that the durability was so-so with 38c AAs, but on the other hand I've been impressed that I haven't seen any punctures despite a lot of riding in bad conditions.
Remember there are two quality tiers for the G1 AA: Evolution and Performance, with the Evolution being the top performer. I cannot imagine that Schwalbe would be going backwards on their tire development, especially in the hot gravel segment, so probably whomever was feeding you that information about the latest gen being heavier was confused by the quality tier designations. I would certainly be very suspcious of such claims given Schwalbe's recent range developments; they're even saying their new tires and new Aerothan tubes perform as well as tubeless, a segment which they were pioneers in for road and in which they excute at the top of the pile. You should have no concerns with the newest models aside from selecting the proper tire line, but in any case, if you're worried about watts on the road, probably the G-One Speed (Evolution Line) is worth looking at in the 35c size. I've not used it myself, but the tread pattern, which was launched as the S-One several years ago and which I used, I found it to be a pretty decent tarmac roller and perfect for hardpack gravel. Tread wear was low, but that was pre-Addix, so I cannot comment on whether that has improved with the G-One Speed, but Schwalbe has definitely improved the casing tech since the first S-One; I've also been using several iterations of S-One since that tire was launched, and it remains my favorite road tire in terms of overall performance.
Old 03-25-21, 02:15 PM
Unsled

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for this, too.

I was going by reports from BRR and from Grand Fondo. I had assumed that they tested the Evolution, although it's possible that they did not.

I'm not obsessed with watts or speed, as anyone who has ridden with me can attest... But part of what is really nice about the AAs is that they are great for road riding as well as at least some trail conditions. Now I'm mostly curious to know what is going on with the different reviews. Your suggestion is reasonable, perhaps they, or I, failed to notice which line the tyres came from.

A

Originally Posted by chaadster
Remember there are two quality tiers for the G1 AA: Evolution and Performance, with the Evolution being the top performer. I cannot imagine that Schwalbe would be going backwards on their tire development, especially in the hot gravel segment, so probably whomever was feeding you that information about the latest gen being heavier was confused by the quality tier designations. I would certainly be very suspcious of such claims given Schwalbe's recent range developments; they're even saying their new tires and new Aerothan tubes perform as well as tubeless, a segment which they were pioneers in for road and in which they excute at the top of the pile. You should have no concerns with the newest models aside from selecting the proper tire line, but in any case, if you're worried about watts on the road, probably the G-One Speed (Evolution Line) is worth looking at in the 35c size. I've not used it myself, but the tread pattern, which was launched as the S-One several years ago and which I used, I found it to be a pretty decent tarmac roller and perfect for hardpack gravel. Tread wear was low, but that was pre-Addix, so I cannot comment on whether that has improved with the G-One Speed, but Schwalbe has definitely improved the casing tech since the first S-One; I've also been using several iterations of S-One since that tire was launched, and it remains my favorite road tire in terms of overall performance.
Old 03-25-21, 05:15 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The construction has changed. It's now 67 tpi. Really disappointing as it was my fav mixed use tire.
Old 03-26-21, 01:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
The construction has changed. It's now 67 tpi. Really disappointing as it was my fav mixed use tire.
Schwalbe have had a metric crap ton of G-One variants, so I don’t what, exactly, you mean by “the” construction has changed...there hasn’t been only one G-One in many years. There have always been 67epi versions, but they did have a 127epi Liteskin version which is no longer made; maybe this is what’s at issue? I think that was a non- TLE MTB casing they offered for plus sized G1, but not 700c, which was only Microskin and TLE. I dunno...as I said, they had a crap ton of variants, so I welcome the simplification with the improved TLE SuperGround casing. Like, it was crazy for awhile trying to figure out which models retailers were really offering because there were so many Pro One variants.
Old 03-26-21, 05:56 PM
Unsled

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaadster
Schwalbe have had a metric crap ton of G-One variants, so I don’t what, exactly, you mean by “the” construction has changed...there hasn’t been only one G-One in many years. There have always been 67epi versions, but they did have a 127epi Liteskin version which is no longer made; maybe this is what’s at issue? I think that was a non- TLE MTB casing they offered for plus sized G1, but not 700c, which was only Microskin and TLE. I dunno...as I said, they had a crap ton of variants, so I welcome the simplification with the improved TLE SuperGround casing. Like, it was crazy for awhile trying to figure out which models retailers were really offering because there were so many Pro One variants.
I've also read about the lowered thread count, but I'm afraid I have nothing intelligent to add. I'm keeping an eye on the thread, in case anyone else contributes.

Last edited by Unsled; 03-26-21 at 05:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-28-21, 08:44 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Bicycle rolling resistance did not have a favorable review of the new G-one with the super ground compound. They also never tested the original one-star or addix compound versions.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...g-one-allround

We find the results of this version of the G-One Allround shocking. Schwalbe once was the pioneer of fast-rolling off-road tires with their PaceStar compound on which they built their reputation. With the launch of the Addix compounds back in 2017, this all changed and things got messy. Back in 2017/2018, we already found there to be a lot of variation between different tires with the Addix Speed and SpeedGrip compounds.
It looks like quality control at Schwalbe just isn't up to par anymore. The latest version of the G-One Allround is slower than the G-One Ultrabite, which just doesn't make sense. We suspect something isn't going as planned in the compound mixing department. We don't recommend this tire as the difference with the Continental Terra Speed TR compare is just too big when you care about performance.
Old 03-28-21, 08:50 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Merlin cycles still has the Addix microskin version in your preferred 700x35c size.

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalb...00c-91923.html

Too bad that Schwalbe messed with what was a once great gravel tire. Thankfully I still have a brand new spare one-star compound tire. I think the Addix compound is slightly better in regards to wear but performance is identical.

I have a set of the Tera Speeds on another bike but haven't had enough time on them to draw any conclusions about their performance. They seem fast, but also run small. A 38c tire measure out to only 35mm on a 19mm rim.
Old 03-28-21, 09:02 AM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I know they had QA/QC problems for a while, but I've been using Continental Contact Travels (formerly TravelContacts) for years and love them, especially since I ride primarily on asphalt. Has a nice central slick with knobs on the side that match the radius of the slick for softer stuff.
Old 03-28-21, 03:04 PM
Unsled

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks, Bryan C. and Wintermute. Good to know, sorry to hear it. Hopefully they'll get back on track. I really like my set in 38c. I think I'll give another tyre a try, either Terra Speed TR or the tubeless Challenge Strada Biancas.