Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

planetary gear freewheel / derailleur compatibility

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-21, 06:20 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts

This freewheel came with a hub I just bought. The seller said it was very rare and cutting edge back in the day. I am pretty sure this wont work with any of the derailleurs I am familiar with. Does anyone know what derailleur is compatible? Also is a special skewer needed for this style hub? Thanks.

Old 04-01-21, 09:22 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
You need a derailleur made by M.C.Escher.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 04-01-21, 10:34 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Ahh, the rare hyperglide planetary, no less, as noted by the ramps and pinholes (not to be confused with pins, pinheads, wormholes, or worm-drive) and certainly not to be confused with later Japanese inventions, hyperglide or hyperdrive.

Of course, the French invented it. It is a little known fact that les frères Deperdussin invented this devilishly curious device after being inspired by the Fokker synchronizer mechanisms present on WWI aircraft to allow the machinegun to fire through the propeller arc. A young mechanic notorious for leaving file marks on everything, by the name of René Louis Théodore Herse, then stole the idea for les Avions Breguet, and unsuccessfully tried to adapt it to bicycles using company cash during the chaos of late WWI. The British, of course, preferred epicyclic gearing. What you've got there, though, can only be attributed to the late, great André REISS of Cycles Reyhand, who died singlehandedly holding off an entire platoon of panzers on the Aisne front in June '40, using only a couple of improvised giant frag grenades made of spent acetylene tanks and the stockpile of leftover parts from the Nivex factory (that's why they're so expensive these days). We'll never know how he got the planetary hyperglide hub to work, so derailleur compatibility is best left to the imagination, but perhaps something made of Nivex parts makes sense for Reyhand. Of course, the proper fixation to the frame is not a quick release, but a Bell wingnut. Paul CHARREL would have of course seen the technical drawing when going through the Reyhand shop postwar, but probably mistook it for the doodle of a madman.

Yes, what you've got there is a piece of history.

Last edited by scarlson; 04-01-21 at 11:04 PM.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 04-02-21, 12:19 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
This freewheel came with a hub I just bought. The seller said it was very rare and cutting edge back in the day. I am pretty sure this wont work with any of the derailleurs I am familiar with. Does anyone know what derailleur is compatible? Also is a special skewer needed for this style hub? Thanks.

Your Planetary freewheel is the Pluto to this Jupiter.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 04-04-21, 07:23 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Is it a drillium freewheel**********