Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Tandem: Dawes Super Galaxy

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 08:05 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts

I posted in the tandem section but figured some here might want a gander at this girl: 531 tubes and forks, XT and Stronglight drivetrain- just got it today but so far very impressed!

Old 04-05-21, 04:55 PM
jetboy 

went on a first real 'ride' today - basically to the local decathlon to get a new helmets (not matching.. though it was tempting) and a pannier etc (had a rack in my stash) and various odds and ends. Fun ride! this is my first tandem experience so not sure what to expect... what is good or bad on this bike vs others. But for our purposes (tooling around town, running errands, school drop off etc) its great. and light! surprisingly not heavy at all for so much steel! very easy to pull in and out over various obstacles at my place of residence (which was not so easy with a trail-a-bike) good old 531 shining through.

My first Dawes but now I am thinking I need a single to match it! very impressed - the build quality is superb.. lugs and brazing beautiful - welds clean- quality paint etc.

I will keep fiddling and when its all together proper (for us) i'll post another pic.
Likes For jetboy:
Old 04-06-21, 05:03 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
That is a nice looking tandem. I restored a Schwinn Paramount tandem awhile back, and it was a fun project. Am curious what you have planned for this one--It looks like it has had several modern upgrades--seats, shifters/derailleurs, and bars & stem, but also has some nice vintage features like the drum brake. Will you keep it as is, return it to more period correct style, or something in between? Oh, some detail photos would be welcome!
Likes For KenNC:
Old 04-06-21, 10:58 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
@jetboy - NICE! My Burley frame set weighs 13lb alone!

I have the same rear drum brake, Arai. They were very popular BITD. If you ever want to remove it, you will need a special tool. I had one made. it is at the top of the picture. If you want dimensions, let me know and I will measure.
Keep an eye out for an extra for parts at the local COOP. They go for big bucks on the bay. Check the shoes for wear and the drum for corrosion, if you haven't already

P1040553 on Flickr

Burley put the anchor on top of the stay. I moved it to below to assist in wheel removal.
Mounted Rear Drum_S on Flickr
P1010224 on Flickr
Old 04-06-21, 09:44 PM
jetboy 

I checked Sheldon, as one does and he has this advice:

"Here's a tip for removing an Arai drum:

Have somebody sit on the stoker's saddle (for traction), apply the brake, and forcibly roll the tandem backward until the drum starts to unscrew from the hub. This is the easiest way to break it free.Also see our article about drum brakes and Precision Tandems's article about the Arai brake."

a proper tool is probably preferable!

as for the plan: I will leave it pretty much as is. I do prefer drops but not enough to worry- and the XT shifting is.. as expected- quite good. I will be swapping out saddles and such- the white vetta is not for me. but really just adding some luggage, soem lights, and maybe a mirror to see my daughter on on the stoker...

not a lot it needs to be all we need!
Old 04-07-21, 05:38 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
@jetboy - Thanks for those references. I do remember the back up the bike process but it takes too and there is one mechanic in my house! They were not around when I picked mine up, at least I didin't find them when searching. My second unit was picked up at a coop for $5 and replaced the one on the bike due to corrosion.

At the time, I found Tandem East to be a good source of info besides the various manufacturers.
Old 04-07-21, 05:57 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy
I checked Sheldon, as one does and he has this advice:

"Here's a tip for removing an Arai drum:

Have somebody sit on the stoker's saddle (for traction), apply the brake, and forcibly roll the tandem backward until the drum starts to unscrew from the hub. This is the easiest way to break it free.Also see our article about drum brakes and Precision Tandems's article about the Arai brake."

a proper tool is probably preferable!

as for the plan: I will leave it pretty much as is. I do prefer drops but not enough to worry- and the XT shifting is.. as expected- quite good. I will be swapping out saddles and such- the white vetta is not for me. but really just adding some luggage, soem lights, and maybe a mirror to see my daughter on on the stoker...

not a lot it needs to be all we need!

The Arai drum can also be removed using a 3/4" drive 41mm socket.
Old 04-01-22, 12:30 PM
paulocaputo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
amazing project, congrats