Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Green Giant: 1979 Michael Johnson

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Green Giant: 1979 Michael Johnson

Old 04-06-21, 01:36 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Agree with above about seeing some BG in this, took these pics planning to post before the reveal for consideration although the top of the seat stays and lug are no match.

Anyway, the binders are very similar and many did it this way, and this one is green too.

Likes For merziac:
Old 04-07-21, 07:28 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Agree with above about seeing some BG in this, took these pics planning to post before the reveal for consideration although the top of the seat stays and lug are no match.

Anyway, the binders are very similar and many did it this way, and this one is green too.

I agree about the binder bolt. They're very similar. Your lugs are thinned(as are northbends BG) but they look more defined. Michael Johnson did learn under Eisentraut.

That is a beautiful bike, merziac.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 04-07-21, 08:08 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Super-nice bike. Many congrats. Whatever you paid for it, it's worth it. I'd be interested in the measurements when you have it in hand and use an actual tape measure and angle gauge on it.

SP tubing is a smart call for a frame that size. So is that longish chain stay length. I'm very glad it's in the hands of someone who will let it see the outdoors and - gasp - actually be ridden.

BTW, it looks to me like the front brake. at least, has plenty of reach adjustment if you ever want to swith to 700c wheels. The rear brake looks to be a closer run thing, but you only need them pads to be 4mm lower, so you might be able to juuust do it. Not suggesting you should make that change, just that it looks like it might be an easy option.

Thanks bikingshearer. I'll be home tomorrow with it to take some actual measurements. I ride a similar size frame as you. Recently I picked up a 68cm Specialized Expedition, and it actually fits me(with just a fistful of post showing).

I am pretty hopeful that the brakes have enough adjustment left to reach 700c wheels.

The seller had this up on Craigslist for over a couple months. He dropped the price a few times. It sounds like he didn't gather much interest, probably because of the size. I was interested, but he wasn't keen on shipping it( at first). When he finally decided shipping was an option, the cost of having a shop pack and ship was a no go for me. I traveled a bit for this one, but..

It's been a real fun trip so far...

Last edited by Roger M; 04-07-21 at 08:23 PM.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 04-07-21, 08:31 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Roger M
I agree about the binder bolt. They're very similar. Your lugs are thinned(as are northbends BG) but they look more defined. Michael Johnson did learn under Eisentraut.

That is a beautiful bike, merziac.
Tx Roger, no real tx to me, I was just smart enough to snap it up when the venerable pcb put it up for sale and then use it for the fitting to size up the new Strawberry.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-09-21, 06:21 PM
Roger M
Banned.

So I'm home with the bike now, after a pretty fun road trip. I tore it down last night and got to cleaning some parts. Most everything shows no real wear, but had forty something years of dirt and grease. It all cleaned up well.

I took some measurements with a tape measure, and downloaded an angle finder/level app to get the angles..

Seat tube: 67cm c-c
​​​​​Top tube: 60.5
Headtube: 24.76cm

ST angle: 71.5
HT angle: 73.5

For being not ridden, there's several chips and scratches. Mostly from being moved around in the garage all those years. The worst being under the shifters. It looks like the clamp wasn't tight enough, and ended up sliding down the downtube. I'll probably take the fork down to the local autobody supply, and try to get some touch up paint.

Anyhow, here's a couple pictures of parts...

Old 04-10-21, 12:17 PM
Roger M
Banned.

The headset and bottom bracket were serviced and reinstalled this morning. With any luck I might be able take out for a spin. The color is really something, especially in the sunlight.

One oddity. The rear spacing is only 120mm.

Likes For Roger M:
Old 04-10-21, 01:36 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
You should have led with this one. Nice bike.
It's like an old-school monster movie, where you only see bits and pieces of the monster, in order to heighten the excitement and tension for the big reveal at the end.
Old 04-10-21, 07:22 PM
Roger M
Banned.

It's on the road again. I will be making some changes, but the Michael Johnson is rideable.

The brakes have enough adjustment to work with 700c wheels. I will go that rout in the future.

This crankset will likely get shelved for a couple of reasons. Its only a 170mm, and I would prefer a 175 or 180. Also, I would like a 39 tooth(or less) small ring.

The bars are too narrow for my needs. I will find something wider in the next few months.

Last edited by Roger M; 04-10-21 at 08:19 PM.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 04-10-21, 07:40 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I know the bike is much too large for me, but she is definitely a thing of beauty!
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 04-10-21, 08:59 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Um... wow. What a thing of beauty! When I first saw the thread title, I expected something made in Taiwan. Glad I clicked on it anyway!
Old 04-10-21, 09:56 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
It's like an old-school monster movie, where you only see bits and pieces of the monster, in order to heighten the excitement and tension for the big reveal at the end.
Yeah, but monster bad, bike good.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 04-19-21, 05:01 PM
Roger M
Banned.

A little bit of an update. I knew the bars were too narrow when I picked up the bike. However, I didn't have anything wider in a 25.4. I taped up the narrow bars just so I could ride it.

I found some Nitto 115s in a 45cm width, and they arrived last week. Had to get more tape, and decided on some fancier plugs.

Last edited by Roger M; 04-19-21 at 10:05 PM.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 04-19-21, 11:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,360 Times in 7,195 Posts
...FWIW, at least some of Michael Johnson's frames here got sold through the Bicycle Business, which is still there on Freeport Blvd.
They don't show up that often, so I don't really have a good idea of how many frames he built and sold here in Sacramento.

I bought this one from a guy who had moved up to Tahoe, and rarely rode it there.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-20-21, 08:07 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...FWIW, at least some of Michael Johnson's frames here got sold through the Bicycle Business, which is still there on Freeport Blvd.
They don't show up that often, so I don't really have a good idea of how many frames he built and sold here in Sacramento.

I bought this one from a guy who had moved up to Tahoe, and rarely rode it there.
I have exchanged a couple of emails with Michael Johnson. He mentioned that mine likely went through Cupertino Bike Shop. I don't know how many frames he built, but counting yours and mine, I know of four.

I do notice that three of them are equipped with Suntour parts. Was Suntour popular in Northern California back in the day?

Likes For Roger M:
Old 12-31-21, 02:04 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
That's a beautiful frame, and the only one I've seen larger than 26"/66cm. Interesting parts choices, too.

Here's my green giant:

Fredo in the sun.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 12-31-21, 07:54 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
I've been finding big bikes lately. Bigger than I usually ride(I've always had a good amount of seatpost showing on my 62 and 63cm bikes). Fortunately, on a lot of bigger bicycles, the top tube doesn't grow with the seat tube.

I happened across this one on someone else's Craigslist search. I ended up having to travel a bit for this one, but I am pretty excited to have it. I bought it from the original owner, who had it built in about 1979. He only put about 100 miles on it, before demoting it to wall hanger. According to him, it was to nice to ride.

I'm just going to post a few pictures first. Maybe some of you can figure out who built the frame...

EDIT: Added builder to the title.

I am amazed at how beautiful the paint is , considering it was done in 1979(I know the bike has been indoors ever since).
Old 12-31-21, 08:48 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I am amazed at how beautiful the paint is , considering it was done in 1979(I know the bike has been indoors ever since).
Thanks Colonel.

It isn't without flaws. I believe that whoever assembled it, didn't get the shifters clamped tight enough. There's some scraped up paint under the downtube, as we as some other chips(probably from being moved around in the garage/basement).

It shows well though.
Old 12-31-21, 09:17 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
I'm amazed that the BB boot inside the BB shell hasn't yellowed with age, or even appears to have turned brittle. Beautiful!
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 07-14-22, 01:59 PM
Roger M
Banned.

A little bit of an update:

I rode the green bike on Cino this year. In preparation, I installed a longer axle from another Superbe hub(that is cracked and no longer functional). I did this because the spacing on the rear hub is only 120mm. I wanted to run a six speed 13-32 freewheel, but it wouldn't jive with 120 spacing. The hub is now at 123mm and clearance is good for chain and FW.

I bought an Acorn bag from the last sale, and hacked together some saddle bag loops for the Ideale saddle.

Cino was great and tough at the same time, but MJ had zero issues. Over about 110 miles, no flats or mechanicals. The forty three year old brake shoes even performed pretty well. Got a couple of new rock chips in the paint, but that is par for course.

Now I need to get to cleaning..
Likes For Roger M:
Old 07-14-22, 02:26 PM
merziac

Great windup and report, I really like to hear the details, gory and otherwise, fantastic that you took this on a serious quest with no issues.

Also just realized that this and my Gorden are even more similar in the build, crank and deraileurs being very close. I built mine up from a frame and hand picked everything for an upcoming Velo Cult show at the time, had some NOS 600 calipers and sourced the I believe TRP levers for the hood color and vibe, ended up getting some flak for them though, "cheap, stamped, gaudy", rubbish IMO, they look and feel great to me so .

I may swap out the calipers for some Superbe that I have in stock and get it back out on the road.

Once again, great minds and all that.

Likes For merziac:
Old 07-14-22, 02:49 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2433 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,956 Posts
I didn’t know you had a Gordon Merziac. Nice!

Beautiful bikes, all of these in the thread...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 07-14-22, 03:24 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
I didn’t know you had a Gordon Merziac. Nice!

Beautiful bikes, all of these in the thread...
Tx man, yep, it was a big factor in the building of the Strawberry. It is a bit small as you can see but has some odd geometry that make it rides fantastic, even with my lazy azz on it.

We used the BG, 60ish and the big silver 66 Merz for the fitting as the Strawberry was built with taking me to the end in mind so it came out a bit smaller for the time being so I can ride it later.

At first I thought it was odd that he wanted to use these two bikes, being so different in size.

It was a genius move on Dave Levy's part as it turned out perfect for me. We spent about an hour and a half switching back and forth between the 2 bikes on the trainer with him scratching his head until the he figured it out, light bulb went on, double checked a couple of final things and said " I know exactly what to do now" and "you'll have to compensate a little bit as you do now since it will be a little small for later but will still ride great between now and then.

It took him awhile to wrap his head around it as I had the two bikes set up with exactly the same settled in riding position despite being 6cm different in size, he said he'd never seen anyone get that without one of the bikes being a pain to ride and therefore not really being rideable. I had taken the BG on many longer rides and commuted on it as well.

This one was built when he was in Eugene for 10 years and had hung out/ridden with Merz and DiNucci during that time, so.....