Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Loctite 290 for noisy spokes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-07-21, 03:36 PM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Will wicking Loctite 290 cure noisy spokes in a new rarely used Raleigh Pro Build wheels since using penetrating oil might contribute to the loosening. The clicking which happens during pedalling seems to get louder during lower temperatures, although in last miles it started to click even without pedalling. And the clicking/pinging never happens during test rides, only on actual long distance rides. Previously oiled the spokes on cross points only. Now thinking about oiling the threads and nipple to rim interface.
Old 04-07-21, 03:47 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
Will wicking Loctite 290 cure noisy spokes in a new rarely used Raleigh Pro Build wheels since using penetrating oil might contribute to the loosening. The clicking which happens during pedalling seems to get louder during lower temperatures, although in last miles it started to click even without pedalling. And the clicking/pinging never happens during test rides, only on actual long distance rides. Previously oiled the spokes on cross points only. Now thinking about oiling the threads and nipple to rim interface.
you sure its the spokes?
Old 04-07-21, 04:25 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by coffeesnob
you sure its the spokes?
Should be spokes since putting weight on the bike or some pressure on the pedals make the spokes pop. According to some other sources clicking while pedalling also can come from a cassette to freehub body interface. I have removed the smallest 11t sprocket, so the lockring with some added blue Locktite now rests against the 13t one. Maybe aluminium freehub body and steel cassette is the culprit? Shame the wheels were meant to get rid of other problems for peace of mind but they have led to completely different ones. Never had any noise problems when using some cheapo wheels before.
Old 04-07-21, 05:17 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Is it a ping or a click. To me, they are different sounds. I would not rule out other causes, but if you really think it's the spokes, the first thing I would do is verify their tensions. A properly tensioned wheel shouldn't make noise. Certainly don't start using Locktite until you verify the cause. To me, it's a last resort solution.

You don't say that you've contacted the wheel vendor, I'd do that as well.

Good luck, I hope you figure it out.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-07-21, 09:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
A not uncommon cause for clicking spoke is their becoming notched by the crossing and contacting spoke. One way to separate the cause is to place a small piece of material (I like old credit cards cut into little squares) between the last spoke crossings, the crossing that the spokes are rubbing against each other. If the cause was the crossing spokes riding in and out of their notches these bits will isolate the spokes and there will be no noise.

Many older, "Classic/Vintage" spokes were made of a softer steel (generally galvanized), not the harder stainless steels we see so much more often these days. These older softer spokes were more prone to this indenting/notching at that crossing. Add into the picture that the older rims couldn't handle the high spoke tensions that are popular these days and you have more spoke against spoke movement.

I rode with a friend Sunday who still uses the bits of card between his front wheel's spokes. His wheel is still silent. He said that it's far cheaper to just replace the tiny squares periodically then have his wheel respoked. I didn't argue as it works for him and I can ride next to him is peace and quiet. Andy
Old 04-08-21, 03:42 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Is it a ping or a click. To me, they are different sounds. I would not rule out other causes, but if you really think it's the spokes, the first thing I would do is verify their tensions. A properly tensioned wheel shouldn't make noise. Certainly don't start using Locktite until you verify the cause. To me, it's a last resort solution.

You don't say that you've contacted the wheel vendor, I'd do that as well.

Good luck, I hope you figure it out.
When riding it almost sounds like rattling or 2-3 clicks per revolution. Nothing happens when pedalling backwards, so it's not a saddle.
Decided to keep them instead of sending them back since it's seems like a too much trouble shipping such a large item back and forth.

Last edited by sysrq; 04-08-21 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-08-21, 10:57 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
If your rims are double-walled, there is some chance that a spoke nipple fell into that cavity. You should be able to figure this out by removing the wheel and shaking by hand, When the wheel is off the bike, can you recreate the noise?
Old 04-08-21, 08:28 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
If your rims are double-walled, there is some chance that a spoke nipple fell into that cavity. You should be able to figure this out by removing the wheel and shaking by hand, When the wheel is off the bike, can you recreate the noise?
The noise appears only when pedalling or sometimes when coasting with load, so there shouldn't be anything in a cavity.
Old 04-09-21, 12:20 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I had a persistent creaky noise from my back wheel and it seemed the spokes kept losing tension.

I later discovered the cause was the brakes had worn the sidewall thin and the rim was starting to crack at various points. If the sidewall of the rim has a concave surface this might be happening to you.