Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Minor carbon damage I admit I did

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 06:19 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

2006 Giant Trinity A0 triathalon bike I got it 3 years ago! I have rode it probably 30 times and all adjustments on it have been made final since the beginning. I did not have the knowledge to purchase a torque wrench before buying a CF bike used so this is what happened to my seat tube, like I said the damage happened but has since been unchanged through many rides, Im 5ft11in and 175lbs

Should I keep it the way it is or loosen it a bit?

Last edited by Wallonthefloor; 04-08-21 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-08-21, 07:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
What's the post made of? If carbon then some compression of it's surface might have happened if the collar was too tight. If Al then not. Reason I ask is that if the post has no compression/reduction of diameter and it's the OEM one then the seat tube's being squeezed in is by "design". meaning the factory made the frame and chose/made the post. So in theory... they should fit properly. Thus any seat tube distortion about the binder slot is also by "design".

Now that assumes a lot and might give the factory a lot of credit. In real life even OEM posts can fit with some slop, especially those that are not round.

I would mark the post's height then relax the binder bolt and see if the tube returns to it's natural shape. Take a look at the post where the clamping pressure is to see if the post has suffered any shape change and also to check for any slop as it sits in the frame. Also check out the collar's fit over the seat tube as it also can be either distorted a bit from being too tight. It too can have some slop especially if it's not round (aero shaped). If the post is not affected and the collar looks good then reassemble with some carbon assembly paste and torque properly then just ride the bike.

If any of this looks or you're unable to judge then let someone with more experience take a look. There are a lot of bikes that have this clamping binder slot area deformation are have seen many thousands of miles without issues. Some are carbon too. Andy