Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Centurion Serial Number Database

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Centurion Serial Number Database

Old 12-06-20, 06:00 PM
boatski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone. This is an incredible resource, thanks to everyone who made it possible.

I've decided as my cold-weather quarantine project to rehab my wife's Centurion Lemans. She purchased it in college (~2009); it's been sitting unused in a shed for the past 3. The extent of my geared bike experience is on a 10-speed townie. The rest of is single speed and fixed. Great time to learn how gears work.

Serial number is N4H7115. Based on the formula here, I think this equates to 1984 production, maybe March?

Based on the 1984 Centurion catalog on Sheldon Brown it looks like most components are original, or at least same brand/style replacements. It does have a Specialized stem, which I believe to be an S-2 Road. The saddle and pedals are clearly replacements from when she bought it.

I cleaned it up today to see what I'm working with. At a minimum it'll probably need new chainrings (worn), freewheel cluster (worn), seatpost (rusted to hell), pedals (prob try to go original), and seat.

Cheers!

Last edited by boatski; 12-12-20 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-15-20, 02:22 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Gashepherd
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Thank-you very much for taking the time and effort to obtain the serial number, date codes and extra photos, even though it wasn't an attractive deal and a real Frankenbike.. The S/N is consistent with February 1982 manufacture by Fairly of Taiwan. They were a known contractor for WSI but this may be the earliest case I've seen. I was having trouble deciding if the rear dropouts were stamped or forged but now that we have a better photo, they appear to be 3D stamped dropouts. I wish you better luck with your next potential transaction.

I would suggest that the serial number reads as F2J24735, as opposed to F2024735. The first number 2, after the F, for the year of frame manufacture 1982 and the J meaning some point within that year.
The "J" probably does not mean February.

In 1981 Fairly serial numbers had a letter after the first digit, the number for the year.

In 1983 within the Fairly serial number the letter for the time period was replaced by two digits for the month within the year of frame manufacture.

The length of the 1983 serial number remained at eight characters, so the number of characters for the sequence number was reduced.
Old 01-09-21, 01:13 PM
Gashepherd

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Another Super Le Mans

Got another Super Le Mans, mid 70s a different type of serial number IE02063, not sure of date codes on components. Also not familiar with the crankset, appears to be "RE Sprint" dont know if that's an SR model or what, any information would be appreciated, thanks

Last edited by Gashepherd; 01-13-21 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-13-21, 08:17 PM
Fixit
Searching for answers...

Bikes: 1985 Univega Competizione-Pro White; 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour - Black Sable; 1987 Bianchi Limited-Metallic Celeste; 1972 Nishiki Professional - Green; 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
75-76 Centurion Super Le Mans

Hey gashepherd, I just picked up a very, very similar super le mans but slightly larger 23" frame. I dated my components as ranging from 1972-75. Front Cyclone derailleur date code of OF, rear Cyclone GT derailleur date code PF, Diacompe center pull brakes dated 0375, fork stamped Tange 5E and seat post marked 75.9 (took me 3 days to free it) Frame SN is TE29459. If the E represents a '5', we'd have 1975 frames. I'm guessing (pending T-Mar confirmation) I've got a late 1975-early 76 Super Le Mans. And yours will probably be very close in age based on similar SN. Main difference I see is that mine has downtube shifters vs your bar-ends. I hope this helps and adds to the T-Mar's database.
SR seat post date code?

Frame SN

Old 03-31-21, 01:49 PM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Aleks_m
Thanks T-Mar. Had no idea European models would be different from US. Too bad European centurion catalogues seem nowhere to be find online.

How did you know there are no water bottle bosses, are you able to see the pictures I tried to post? Anyways, will try to share once I’ve reached 10 posts.

I’ve suspected that the lack of bottle bosses and the fact that the shifters are located on the steering wheel rather than the down tube would indicate a lower level model, at least seeing the specs in the US catalogues.

I don’t understand why it would be more premium to have the shifters on the down tube though, much more hassle to change gears IMO.
European Centurion catalogues are available on www.retrobike.co.uk
Old 04-09-21, 06:18 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,365 Posts
Will add photos tomorrow.

Got a Centurion Omega at a local auction for $50 Cdn. Very poor photos in low light. Arguably the worst paint job I've ever seen. By that I mean the actual paint is not bonded to the metal and just flakes off with a thumbnail. Bizarrely, the name "Centurion" (or what remains of the name) was put on with stick-on letters (was paint that expensive??). Adding entry a) for T-Mar who needs serial numbers for his investigations b) to record the hideous paint job for posterity.

Group set is almost immaculate as I was told owner couldn't get it to shift and didn't know anyone who could "fix it" so it would shift. Steel wheels with zero rust which shocked me as the frame has rust, mostly on the chains stays. Suntour 7 derailleurs with a long cage GT rear and Suntour 7 stem shifters. Brakes are Dia Compe. I pulled the chain guard off the crank set as it just looked too dorky.
Serial is A7105289. I'd rate quality of the frame set as better than a Raleigh Record, a well made bike betrayed by it's paint. Where it not for the cotterless crank set I'd have guessed early '70s but was told it was bought "after 1977". Velobase wasn't working for me but I think repeat think that Suntour made the GT in the late '70s so this might be right for when it was made.

Photos to show general view of bike, then it's components.

Now, sadly photos to show paint and the weird stick on letters which are peeling off.

Last edited by WGB; 04-10-21 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-10-21, 01:28 AM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Centurion Equalizer Frame

Picked up this Equalizer frame, Kusuki Winpista bars and stem, Tange Levin CD headset and a Shimano 105sc BB for $60aud. Once I’ve worked on the frame a little I intend to bring it back to spec. I love the monochrome colouring with the splashes of colour....very late 80s early 90s. The serial number reads M0L01530.
Can any one point me towards the catalogue for this 90’s Equalizer as I can’t find the American version, only the European. Many Thanks.

Old 04-10-21, 11:41 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkinOz
Picked up this Equalizer frame, Kusuki Winpista bars and stem, Tange Levin CD headset and a Shimano 105sc BB for $60aud. Once I’ve worked on the frame a little I intend to bring it back to spec. I love the monochrome colouring with the splashes of colour....very late 80s early 90s. The serial number reads M0L01530.
Can any one point me towards the catalogue for this 90’s Equalizer as I can’t find the American version, only the European. Many Thanks.
An American catalog isn't going to help. The S/N indicates a 1990 or 1991 model manufactured in 1990. In the USA, Western States Imports discontinued the Centurion brand in late 1989, marketing the 1990 road bicycles under the Diamond Back brand, which had previously been limited to ATB and BMX.

The Centurion brand was owned by different companies, depending on the country. This why Centurion survived in Europe after it disappeared in the USA. The brand owners in each country were responsible for naming and specifying the models. Consequently, models often varied, sometimes significantly, between markets. Basically, you'd have to find an Australian market catalogue to ensure the right specs. Having said, we've seen two 1990, Australian market Equalizers. Both used a Shimano 600 Ultegra group. Refer to posts #668 and 2010 of this thread.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-10-21, 04:00 PM
MarkinOz

An American catalog isn't going to help. The S/N indicates a 1990 or 1991 model manufactured in 1990. In the USA, Western States Imports discontinued the Centurion brand in late 1989, marketing the 1990 road bicycles under the Diamond Back brand, which had previously been limited to ATB and BMX.

The Centurion brand was owned by different companies, depending on the country. This why Centurion survived in Europe after it disappeared in the USA. The brand owners in each country were responsible for naming and specifying the models. Consequently, models often varied, sometimes significantly, between markets. Basically, you'd have to find an Australian market catalogue to ensure the right specs. Having said, we've seen two 1990, Australian market Equalizers. Both used a Shimano 600 Ultegra group. Refer to posts #668 and 2010 of this thread.
ThanksT-Mar, having read the posts on this thread you suggested it seems the Australian market continued with the Centurion brand and the Equalizer was born. I’ll try and make contact with the two Australian contributors to see if I can get info on the Groupset used.
Old 04-24-21, 04:16 PM
atowne

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6h4006

Hi there,

Hoping someone might know what model my bike might be based on these specs (unfortunately I can't upload photos or post a URL as I just made an account.) A seller on Ebay is selling my exact model, if you're willing to type "Centurion Vintage Road Touring Bike From The 70s In Nice Condition" into google. It should pop right up, it's a brownish gold bike.

My serial number is on the lower end of the seat tube — 6H4006 (only six digits).
  • All alloy
  • Apex on crank arm
  • Sakae chainwheel
  • Suntour components
  • Handlebars/stem reads “Sakae - Randnner Japan” in a laurel on the rider’s right and “Road Champion” in a laurel on the left.
  • “Guaranteed Built with double butted…” - black square/rectangle label with yellow outline - can’t see the rest of sticker (mine was worn)
  • Wheels: Araya 27x1 + 1/4 w/o HP
  • Made in Japan engraving
  • SR forged engraving
Thanks in advance and let me know if any additional info would be helpful.

This database/resource is incredible, thank you T-Mar!
Old 04-24-21, 05:23 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by atowne
Hi there,

Hoping someone might know what model my bike might be based on these specs (unfortunately I can't upload photos or post a URL as I just made an account.) A seller on Ebay is selling my exact model, if you're willing to type "Centurion Vintage Road Touring Bike From The 70s In Nice Condition" into google. It should pop right up, it's a brownish gold bike.

My serial number is on the lower end of the seat tube — 6H4006 (only six digits).
  • All alloy
  • Apex on crank arm
  • Sakae chainwheel
  • Suntour components
  • Handlebars/stem reads “Sakae - Randnner Japan” in a laurel on the rider’s right and “Road Champion” in a laurel on the left.
  • “Guaranteed Built with double butted…” - black square/rectangle label with yellow outline - can’t see the rest of sticker (mine was worn)
  • SR forged engraving

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Centurion-V...edirect=mobile
Old 04-24-21, 07:38 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by atowne
Hi there,

• All alloy
  • Apex on crank arm
  • Sakae chainwheel
  • Suntour components
  • SR forged engraving

Welcome to the forums. The Ebay bicycle would appear to be a Super LeMans.
Old 06-11-21, 06:33 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
This is my recently acquired ($35 on FB Marketplace!) 1988 Centurion LeMans -

(Photo AS FOUND)

SN N7L6304

Tange No. 2 tubing with Tange Mangaloy forks and stays
Shimano Exage Sport cranks w/ 42/52T Biopace rings
Shimano Exage Sport derailleurs w/ downtime shifters
Shimano Exage Sport brakes w/ white hooded aero levers
Shimano hub, 36 spokes, Araya 700C rim (front - the rear is a replacement wheel)
Centurion branded Vetta saddle
Sugino seatpost

Last edited by rustystrings61; 06-11-21 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-08-21, 09:43 AM
msl109

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
89 Prestige and R/W Ironman Expert, M Vice expert, Cinelli Equipe

'89 Prestige - Ser # N8S003 - Tange Prestige tubing. Never had as complete bike, built up from frame, nothing stock except Tange bottom bracket (steel).

Red and White Ironman Expert - think it's an' 86 - Ser # N6L639
Bought as complete bike with stock 105 setup, Nitto stem and bars, alloy (SR or Sugino?) seatpost with cast in height scale and steel clamp. Vetta Turbo style nubuck saddle, Wolber rims. Tange 1 tubing. I changed out all components except the headset, as you can probably see.

Will edit with pics and serial for my Miami Vice Expert and Cinelli Equipe

​​​​​​
​​

Last edited by msl109; 09-08-21 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 09-09-21, 06:23 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by msl109
'89 Prestige - Ser # N8S003 - Tange Prestige tubing. Never had as complete bike, built up from frame, nothing stock except Tange bottom bracket (steel).

Red and White Ironman Expert - think it's an' 86 - Ser # N6L639
Bought as complete bike with stock 105 setup, Nitto stem and bars, alloy (SR or Sugino?) seatpost with cast in height scale and steel clamp. Vetta Turbo style nubuck saddle, Wolber rims. Tange 1 tubing. I changed out all components except the headset, as you can probably see.

Will edit with pics and serial for my Miami Vice Expert and Cinelli Equipe.​
​​
While the serial number is in the gray region where it could be either a 1986 or 1987 model, the graphics indcate a 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert. This is corroborated by the presence of a Shimano New 105 headset, which was introduced for the 1987 model year.
Old 09-09-21, 04:44 PM
lonesomesteve

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 65 Posts
A gorgeous yellow Centurion Semi Pro recently followed me home. The seller didn't know much about it; it belonged to her recently deceased wife, and the seller thought her wife was the original owner. Here it is in as found condition.

Sorry about the picture quality. I was too eager to start dismantling and cleaning to wait for daylight.

The serial number is "M7L44193" which as I understand suggests that the frame was made by Miki in the summer of 1977.

Everything else about the bike (paint color, graphics, components) suggests it was sold in 1979. Other than the tires and saddle which appear to have been replaced at some point, the only other component that doesn't match the 1979 catalog is the crankset. Catalog says Sugino Super Mighty Victory 42/52 with drilled chainrings, but mine has a SR Royal 42/52 with undrilled chainrings. Based on how original everything else is, I'm betting the SR crankset is original.

The top tube measures 57cm CTC and the seat tube is 58cm CTC.

I can't tell you what a joy it has been to take this bike apart. I felt like I was working on an archeological excavation, unearthing a priceless artifact that's been buried in a pile of grease, dust, and cat hair in a basement for the past 40+ years. Everything is in perfect condition, unmolested by ham-fisted amateur mechanics like myself. It needs new consumables, a proper saddle and lots of cleaning and repacking of bearings, but otherwise it's all there.

I'll share more and better pictures in a more appropriate thread once I finish cleaning and re-assembling everything.
Likes For lonesomesteve:
Old 09-10-21, 04:16 AM
msl109

While the serial number is in the gray region where it could be either a 1986 or 1987 model, the graphics indcate a 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert. This is corroborated by the presence of a Shimano New 105 headset, which was introduced for the 1987 model year.
Good eye! Indeed it is a new 105 headset and I'm sure it's original. Could the group possibly have been available to Centurion in '86? Guess what's more likely is the frame was produced late in the year and wasn' t built up till the next. (?)
Old 09-10-21, 04:17 AM
msl109

Originally Posted by lonesomesteve
A gorgeous yellow Centurion Semi Pro recently followed me home. The seller didn't know much about it; it belonged to her recently deceased wife, and the seller thought her wife was the original owner. Here it is in as found condition.

Sorry about the picture quality. I was too eager to start dismantling and cleaning to wait for daylight.

The serial number is "M7L44193" which as I understand suggests that the frame was made by Miki in the summer of 1977.

Everything else about the bike (paint color, graphics, components) suggests it was sold in 1979. Other than the tires and saddle which appear to have been replaced at some point, the only other component that doesn't match the 1979 catalog is the crankset. Catalog says Sugino Super Mighty Victory 42/52 with drilled chainrings, but mine has a SR Royal 42/52 with undrilled chainrings. Based on how original everything else is, I'm betting the SR crankset is original.

The top tube measures 57cm CTC and the seat tube is 58cm CTC.

I can't tell you what a joy it has been to take this bike apart. I felt like I was working on an archeological excavation, unearthing a priceless artifact that's been buried in a pile of grease, dust, and cat hair in a basement for the past 40+ years. Everything is in perfect condition, unmolested by ham-fisted amateur mechanics like myself. It needs new consumables, a proper saddle and lots of cleaning and repacking of bearings, but otherwise it's all there.

I'll share more and better pictures in a more appropriate thread once I finish cleaning and re-assembling everything.
Very nice.
Old 09-10-21, 07:24 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by msl109
Good eye! Indeed it is a new 105 headset and I'm sure it's original. Could the group possibly have been available to Centurion in '86? Guess what's more likely is the frame was produced late in the year and wasn' t built up till the next. (?)
Most bicycle manufacturers start building the new models around September. This allows them to build-up inventory and compensate for trans-oceanic and distribution channel shipping times, yet still have the bicycles in shops for the lucrative Christmas season. Also, the first of the new models have to be available in time for display at the autumn trade shows, where distributors and dealers place orders. The big European shows were in Paris and Milan, and typically took place in early October and November, respectively. This also allowed them to capitalize of any successess at the World Championships, which typically take during the last week of August or First of September, while they're still fresh in the mind of distributors and dealers.

In order for the bicycle companies to start building the new models during the last 1/3 of the year, component manufacturers have to produce their new models even before that. It's not unusal to find mid-year component date codes that actually represent the upcoming model year.

Consequently, while New 105 had a 1987 model year debut, it's quite common to find them with mid 1986 date codes on frames that were built in late 1986. It's not unlike the automobile industry, which routinely has the new models out by now. In fact, I understand that a number of automobile manufacturers introduced some their 2022 models as early as this past spring!

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-10-21 at 07:30 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-10-21, 07:34 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by lonesomesteve
A gorgeous yellow Centurion Semi Pro recently followed me home....
Based on the serial number, it should be a 1978 model, manufactured in late 1977 by Miki of Japan.
Old 09-15-21, 10:31 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 58 Posts
I believe I found an "as sold Centurion Lemans RS" in Albuquerque, NM.

\Centurion Lemans LS

Serial number N7E7428 N (1) format?

Tange 2 Double Butted

Quality from Japan /Designed in USA sticker at base of seat tube

Mangaloy 2001 Fork (Tange).

Brakes and Levers Shimano SLX

RD and FD Shimano Light Action

Shifters downtube - Shimano

Shimano Biopace Chain Rings 52 - 42

(2 x 6) speeds

Pedals MKS – AR8

Araya Gold Anodized Rims, 700 c

Suzue Hubs (Sealed Tech) 7 - B

Freewheel 6 spd 13-26

Seatpost Sugino SP-KC

Vetta Anatomic Seat – Branded Centurion

Bars engraved - Kusuki – Winpista

Black frame with yellow seat and head tubes.

Paint in good condition except for chain stays and some seat tube damage where yellow shows below scratches of black paint.

No rust (its a New Mexican bike)

Likes For Peruano:
Old 09-16-21, 06:12 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Just finished refurbishing this Centurion Ironman. It's got a complete original Shimano 600 groupset on it. A very small 52cm frame. I don't know what year it is. But, I'm guessing 1985. What do you think? (As soon as the sun comes out more pictures to follow).

Old 09-19-21, 05:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Serial Number N5E5264.

1985 Centurion Ironman. Metallic red with metallic titanium head tube. 58cm. Largely original, except for pedals (MKS); brake levers (Shimano BL-R600 aero vs BL-6207 non-aero), and probably shift levers (SL-6208 SIS shifters, vs SL-6207 friction shifters). Original Selle Italia Turbo 'Bernard Hinault' model saddle and Sugino SP-KC seatpost, 6207 hubs laced to Araya gold rims; Nitto bars and stem.

Seller replaced the 6207 single pivot brakes with 7403 Dura Ace dual pivots, but gave me the originals as well.

Here's one of the seller's pictures. I'll post pictures of the final after I'm done with the restoration.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-12-21, 11:09 PM
jforb427
Twin

Bikes: Centurion Super Lemans

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Front derailleur TE, rear derailleur TJ, SN n8d7388

Centurion Super LeMans I picked up at a yard sale today. I guess it's from early 1978?

Sorry no pics because I'm new here.
Old 11-13-21, 05:48 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by jforb427
Sorry no pics because I'm new here.
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/23074423

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.