Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Post Your Tri Bike!

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Post Your Tri Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 06:44 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zekebobish
So you even have the matching Discovery Channel bottles, huh? Nice bike - good luck in your first race. That bike is about a zillion times better than the bike I rode during my first race.
Old 05-01-07, 11:05 PM
zekebobish
Gingerbread Man

Bikes: Trek 1000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, yeah the bike didnt even come with one cage or bottle n i saw them at the LBS so i said what the hey... thanks for the compliments cant wait for the race!
Old 05-02-07, 03:20 PM
guncollector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 05-02-07, 08:16 PM
carbonjockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
throw some aerobars on the trek- you'll like it. That Cervelo is how you do!
Old 05-02-07, 08:19 PM
carbonjockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting set up- how you like it?
Old 05-02-07, 08:24 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by guncollector
I'm getting a HED 3 rear wheel in about a week. I was going to get the front wheel to match but I wasn't sure how it handled in crosswinds. I ride/race in places that regularly have 25-30mph crosswinds. Is the HED 3 front wheel difficult to control in conditions like this? (btw, I'm 165 lbs.)
Old 05-03-07, 11:59 PM
DreamWeb

Bikes: A Few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my Trek Discovery bike. i just sold the frame and am looking to pick up a new one. I posted a question last night but haven't heard anything yet. I built it up last season and raced it for about two months and then decided I didn't like the frame. I miss the hell out of it now. It's like breaking up with the love of your life. You never really get over it.

Last edited by DreamWeb; 05-04-07 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-04-07, 06:39 AM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamWeb
Here is my Trek Discovery bike. i just sold the frame and am looking to pick up a new one. I posted a question last night but haven't heard anything yet. I built it up last season and raced it for about two months and then decided I didn't like the frame. I miss the hell out of it now. It's like breaking up with the love of your life. You never really get over it.

What was wrong with the frame? It seems to be a "hot" frame.
Something has been troubling me in my search for a good tri frameset/build. I seem to be steering away from Trek, Specialized, and Giant. I think its because they seem to be companies that "everyone" buys their bikes from including those looking for "family" bikes or the Lance wannabes. Sorta like sears or something.
Is that unfair of me?
Old 05-05-07, 12:24 AM
DreamWeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey StalkerZERO,

I don't think that is really unfair of you. I tend to stray away from trends as well. The companies you mention are all fine manufacturers, but you're right, there is just something about Tri frames that scream, originality. These popular bike companies seem to have a focus on the middle of the bike culture and cater to more of the casual side of the sport. There are so many different frame builders/distributors that specialize in just Tri frames or at least have a relitavely small stable of frames that center around performance and inovation, that it seems rash to me to just go with the convenient or popular bike choice. Although I admit I do really love Trek's TT frame and think they have a good concept team. I sold the frame because I wanted to build-up my mountain bike, but more so because the frame just barely fit me. I am 6'2" and I had the seatpost lowered all the way down to the carbon seat airfoil. I just couldn't get the custom fit that is so paramount in Tri specific frames. It seems like the less common frame designs are leaning twords an aero seat post concept rather than a frame integrated seat tube airfoil. An example of this is the Ceepo TT Venom or the Cervelo P2C, (exuse me while I wipe the drool off my shirt ). There is a great section in Triathlete Magazine's April issue showcasing some smokin' framesets.
Old 05-05-07, 09:50 AM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamWeb
Hey StalkerZERO,

I don't think that is really unfair of you. I tend to stray away from trends as well. The companies you mention are all fine manufacturers, but you're right, there is just something about Tri frames that scream, originality. These popular bike companies seem to have a focus on the middle of the bike culture and cater to more of the casual side of the sport. There are so many different frame builders/distributors that specialize in just Tri frames or at least have a relitavely small stable of frames that center around performance and inovation, that it seems rash to me to just go with the convenient or popular bike choice. Although I admit I do really love Trek's TT frame and think they have a good concept team. I sold the frame because I wanted to build-up my mountain bike, but more so because the frame just barely fit me. I am 6'2" and I had the seatpost lowered all the way down to the carbon seat airfoil. I just couldn't get the custom fit that is so paramount in Tri specific frames. It seems like the less common frame designs are leaning twords an aero seat post concept rather than a frame integrated seat tube airfoil. An example of this is the Ceepo TT Venom or the Cervelo P2C, (exuse me while I wipe the drool off my shirt ). There is a great section in Triathlete Magazine's April issue showcasing some smokin' framesets.
April issue? *looks at stack of running and triathete mags on floor* Dang, I must have bought that issue...its gotta be somewhere!

So what are you saying though? Those aero seat posts aren't any good because they are adjustable? And aren't there any integrated posts that are also aero as well? What frame would you recommend? Because I would probably be picky and would want a perfect fit/position.
Old 05-05-07, 02:11 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek no longer uses the mast system show above. Both Giant and Trek have come out with very nice, very tri specific lines this year.
Old 05-06-07, 01:30 AM
DreamWeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you bet Triguy,

The new framesets from trek and Giant are very nice and The new trek has gone with the aero seatpost! What I was trying to say StalkerZERO, was I couldn't adjust the height on my frame because of the integrated seat airfoil on the '05 TREK. I really do like the concept of an aero seatpost. I think it is one of the best advancements as of recent. I am not qualified to suggest a frame though. I too am searching for that perect frame. I am doing as much research as possible and am only begging to scratch the surface of the technology comprehension. I love it.
Old 05-06-07, 09:09 AM
jciv03

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trin2du
HAve to add mine, built up thanks to some old parts and a very generous family:

Hey nice looking bike! What kind of aero bars do you have?
Old 05-06-07, 01:51 PM
whiterock

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tajsss
whiterock,
Is that a soloist setup for Tri's? Sweet.
Thanks...yes its a soloist.....I'll be switching back to the drop bars in another month to do some road rallies and maybe a crit or two, then back to the tri cockpit for a couple of tri's in the fall.
Old 05-07-07, 09:06 AM
trin2du

Bikes: Aegis Road Bike, Gunnar Rockhound, Specialized Transition Elite, Van Dessel Holeshot, 1989 Trek converted to SS commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jciv03
Hey nice looking bike! What kind of aero bars do you have?
Vision alloy base bar and extensions. Vision Brake levers. Very happy with all of it.
Old 05-08-07, 09:01 PM
guncollector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
I'm getting a HED 3 rear wheel in about a week. I was going to get the front wheel to match but I wasn't sure how it handled in crosswinds. I ride/race in places that regularly have 25-30mph crosswinds. Is the HED 3 front wheel difficult to control in conditions like this? (btw, I'm 165 lbs.)
Sprocket,

Yes, the HED 3 in front definitely gets a bit squirrely in anything over 25mph winds when you get up to speed. I can't imagine riding them in the aero-position in 30 mph+ winds at speed...way too hairball for me, I'd have to be riding on the hoods at that point.

Now, the HED 3 in back may not be as susceptible to crosswinds--but I can't verify that.
Old 05-09-07, 06:17 AM
Turboem1
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trin2du
HAve to add mine, built up thanks to some old parts and a very generous family:

What kind of wheels are those???
Old 05-09-07, 12:10 PM
trin2du

Bikes: Aegis Road Bike, Gunnar Rockhound, Specialized Transition Elite, Van Dessel Holeshot, 1989 Trek converted to SS commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turboem1
What kind of wheels are those???
Zipp 303 clinchers, with the stickers pulled off.
Old 05-09-07, 04:14 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by guncollector
Sprocket,

Yes, the HED 3 in front definitely gets a bit squirrely in anything over 25mph winds when you get up to speed. I can't imagine riding them in the aero-position in 30 mph+ winds at speed...way too hairball for me, I'd have to be riding on the hoods at that point.

Now, the HED 3 in back may not be as susceptible to crosswinds--but I can't verify that.
Thanks! I guess I'm going to stick with the HED3 for the rear wheel only for now. I just got it in yesterday so I'm pretty excited about it. Here it is. I also got my new crank/chainring combo too - it's an Ultegra crank and FSA TT chainrings. I'm going to have the bike shop install them and will post another picture when that's complete.

Old 05-09-07, 08:49 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
Thanks! I guess I'm going to stick with the HED3 for the rear wheel only for now. I just got it in yesterday so I'm pretty excited about it. Here it is. I also got my new crank/chainring combo too - it's an Ultegra crank and FSA TT chainrings. I'm going to have the bike shop install them and will post another picture when that's complete.

Why did you mix an ultegra crankset with fsa tt chanrings? Doesn't fsa have a good enough set of cranks among their models?
Old 05-10-07, 02:10 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StalkerZERO
Why did you mix an ultegra crankset with fsa tt chanrings? Doesn't fsa have a good enough set of cranks among their models?
They do, but the Ultegra cranks are on sale for $199 at Colorado Cyclist and they have a reputation of being stiff and very strong. Also, I couldn't go with the standard 53-39 rings that come with the crank because I ride 650 wheels and the gearing would be too low.

Also, I find the shiny Ultegra cranks paired with the FSA TT rings to be very sexy.
Old 05-10-07, 08:35 PM
evanatorx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love how I don't post a single thing over the winter, yet I come back, and my thread is killin! Alllright!
Old 05-11-07, 12:32 AM
DreamWeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo junkies? Yah.
Old 05-12-07, 10:27 PM
evanatorx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump!
Old 05-23-07, 10:50 PM
durk onion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here she is, my first tri bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.