Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

The post your trailer thread.

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

The post your trailer thread.

Old 05-21-10, 08:37 PM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just bought my first trailer today. Had the interesting first ride hoping I wouldn't catch a wheel on anything. It's rated for 90kg.

Bike Trailer 001..jpg

Bike Trailer 002..jpg
Old 05-28-10, 09:26 AM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Someone needs to jump on this great bike trailer deal. Only $100. If I thought I might use it, I would buy it.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Bike-trailer-fol...item3f0024ae95
Old 06-04-10, 05:53 PM
bloompedal08

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 06-04-10, 05:58 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Bikes: Viking Urban Trail. Schwinn Spoiler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A man after my own heart - A TRAILER NUT

Nice fleet of trailers, Are you going into production?

Regards
Tom
Old 06-04-10, 06:02 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Artfully photographed as well.
Old 06-04-10, 08:32 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's an update to my electric push trailer project.

After a few teething problems I managed to get it up and running. Here are a few pictures for you to drool over

First up I soon realised that a cantlevered wheel trailer just wasnt going to cut it, so I had to make up a frame that supported the wheels on both sides...

Cantilevered Flatbed.

Framed Flatbed.

Once the initial tests were done (dirt track tests, aiming for ever pothole I could find) and I was happy that the thing was going to hold together I began work on a plywood box.

Box under construction.

I then had a few problems with a new 36V 800Watt controller that i'd bought, so I had to do some more testing in my workshop. ......Workshop indeed! Its my kitchen

Controller Testing.

More tests outside.... Its alive. Damn that wheel cant half spin, fast enough to cut diamonds

Its starting to take shape, I went for another few test runs and found that I have a bad battery. one of the three 12V batteries I use is draining way to fast, I'll have to replace it. I carried on testing with 2 batteries after swapping out the 36V controller for a 24V one, which gives me a speed of around 12 to 15mph.

Next up I made some mudguards/fenders for the trailer out of an old plastic shop sign. I have since took them off as I have to make some brackets to hold them on at a more sloping angle.

Mudguards/Fenders.

To be continued....
Old 06-04-10, 08:32 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Electric push trailer project continued....

Mudguards/Fenders.
As you can see they dont sit right.

Next thing on the list was a paint job, I Stripped down the trailer body and gave it an undercoating of yellow emulsion before spaying it black. I painted the underside of the box and frame with a couple of thick coats of hammerite paint, this should protect it from rain and road grunge and help stop it rotting.

Painting.

The next thing I done was cut the lid off a cantilevered toolbox to make my sunken battery box, which I later painted silver. I also had to add a piece of angle iron and a small block of wood to stop the batteries sliding around.

As you may see I fitted in both of my controllers - 24V & 36V, this way I can run the trailer at 36V - Fast, until the bad battery gives out, then change a few wires over to 24V and carry on around 12/15mph. The solar panel may help keep the bad battey topped up? I dont know yet as this needs testing.

With the trailer nearly complete I sat a few of my solar panles on top of the lid to see how they'd look. Once I get them hooked up it should recharge my batteries while im on the move and give me a bit better range.

Dont know what happened?
The chain kept popping off? You tests and test on the most pot-holy of dirt tracks, aiming for every pothole you can see and your trailer doesn't bat an eye. So you paint it and tidy it up, then take it for a run on flat ground and the bloody chain keeps comming off? Grrr. I had to make up a chain tensioner.

At last its road ready (fingers crossed) and I can use it to do my shopping trips and skip hunting/dumpster diving

A Thing Of Beauty.

I still have the mudguards/fenders to fit plus add some lights (rear lights/indicators/brake light) that im waiting to arrive. I also have to figure out the wiring loom off a grip from a little electric scooter, this way I'll have all the switches at my fingertips - Lights - Indicators - Horn.

Till next time, im off on the electric.

Regards
Tom
Old 06-04-10, 09:36 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Bosscat -That trailer rules and bet you are gonna stun a lot folks when you blow by them with no visible assist.
Old 06-05-10, 02:55 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Tom,

Be Careful mate, any electric motor or device with an output greater than 250 watts, or propels the bike at over 20 mph is going to attract the local plod regarding insurance and a helmet, and the DVLA for registration and taxation, etc.
Old 06-05-10, 04:40 AM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Gareth,

Yeah mate, im well aware of the 15mph/200Watt motor speed limit. I'll have to get my speedometer hooked up and do a test with each of the controllers. At the moment I can only do around 12/15mph with the 24V controller. Im going to doctor up the sticker on the 500Watt motor, then should I get pulled over by the law and they have a look they'll see its only a 200Watt motor. If they ask how I can get such a speed out of a 200Watt motor, I'll just explain to them that its all down to the aerodynamic design of the trailer

....but at the moment I cant do anything! As I think im going senile in my old age? I took off my back wheel to fix a punture and now I cant find my rear spindal? I laid it down for safe keeping, so safe now I cant find it

Regards
Tom

Last edited by BossCat; 06-05-10 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 05:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Bosscat,

How do you stop your electric trailer, or moderate its speed at all?
Old 06-07-10, 08:28 AM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaadster
Bosscat,

How do you stop your electric trailer, or moderate its speed at all?
To stop the trailer I use my bike brakes, the same as a car and trailer/caravan.

To moderate the speed I use a throttle like that on a motorbike but only its an electric throttle designed for electric bikes/scooters etc

Throttle and Motor testing...

Regards
Tom
Old 06-14-10, 08:41 AM
ValVal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to this forum, here's my built :

DSC_0516..jpg

Made from Wike DIY Kit, 500x900 mm (20x36"), sooooo useful, i already love it !
Old 06-14-10, 02:47 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is the trailer up side down? or have you put the flat bed base on the bottom? It looks strange the way it is

Regards
Tom
Old 06-15-10, 07:41 AM
ValVal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, according to Wike site, that's how it is supposed to be. But i've also seen it with the flat bed base on the top... I like it this way because it prevents your stuff from slipping out of the trailer.
Old 06-21-10, 04:50 AM
Grishnak

Bikes: Ridgeback Steel Tourer,Recumbent SWB,Steel Road,,Raleigh Twenty,Elephant Bike,Pashley Pronto TNT.

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My old 3-speeds still have to earn their keep!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
re-cycling 001..jpg (105.0 KB, 321 views)
Old 07-05-10, 11:07 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Trailer was free but the tow arm was $35.00... still a pretty good deal and all I need to do is fabricate or buy a new front rain flap.

First cargo...

Old 07-06-10, 03:58 AM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That pup knows how to bribe its owner
Old 07-06-10, 07:28 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by katcorot
That pup knows how to bribe its owner
She has been riding with me since she was a pup... she really enjoys going for rides be that on my extra cycle (in her basket) and seems to like the trailer as she jumped in without hesitation and we did a nice 20 km ride.

Sometimes we stop for ice cream...

The trailer itself was a warranty return at MEC and as such already had all the kid fittings removed... these are a solidly made and rather light unit so should see lots of work from grocery runs and maybe some camping trips.
Old 07-09-10, 01:29 PM
Danthesoundman
Moto Psycho

Bikes: Kona Unit 2-9 ~ Black Sheep Ti Fork ~ XTR hydrolic discs §§§ KHS Solo One SE ~ Haro Mary Steel Fork ~ Avid mech discs §§§ Kona Smoke 2-9 ~ Kona P2 Fork ~ XTR grouped

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not my "Moots Pugsley", but I'm preparing to build something based on this picture. Notice the King Headset as part of the trailer's coupler design. This is my favorite "homemade" trailer design I've seen. I have the fork part of an old BOB Yak that I'm planning on utilizing in my build, but I can see how adding a stout headset would be better than the skinny, long bolt with plastic washers that BOB used in their design.

Anyone have any information on this trailer? I can't figure out what it would be used for, or how it can be used to carry anything. I am thinking it's just a frame for throwing some free-radical panniers on.

I don't see the purpose of having that rotor on the trailer's wheel - I guess you could use it as a spare, and then put the flat tire in the trailer for the ride home, as long as there was no weight to bottom out a 4" tyre without air.

Also, are those wires sticking out near the axle? I don't see anything else electrical on this rig.
Old 07-09-10, 02:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Got one of these, recently.. https://carryfreedom.com/city.html as a Brompton Companion.
It takes a Waterproof Portage pack as cargo bag also, so stuff stays dry in there ,
more so than with the zip closed included bag ..
One can wear the trailer, then If needed on your back, with the Portage pack's straps .

Have had a Burly Flat bed, for a while, the Co-Op made ones , 2 20" QR wheels just the right load area

for my Roland AC-60 amp in it's padded Gig Bag, and Electric Mandolin's, Calton FG case..
Old 07-09-10, 03:04 PM
LucianTheOne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Danthe
That trailer is for snow and arctic use. In that pipes is stored gas for cooking stove. The bike has same spacing between dropouts, front and rear. So, the wheel from trailer can be used on the bike. Are sprockets instaled on the trailer wheel and the front wheel. 3 back wheels completly equiped.
If you want I have a few more pictures.
Old 07-09-10, 04:45 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I posted about this Ice bike and trailer a while back, just cant remember which thread at the moment ?

Regards
Tom

PS.... Found it. There are a few on here..... https://lacemine29.blogspot.com/2008/...-timeline.html

Last edited by BossCat; 07-09-10 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 10:57 PM
purplepeople
Bent builder

Bikes: Magic leaning delta FWD trike, various bents and Fisher Sugar 3+

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow! I would no longer classify those two as trailers.... more like towed equipment.

:)ensen.
Old 07-17-10, 12:41 PM
Oregon Commuter

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Road Warrior 3, 2006 Novara Aspen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike with a new Burley Travoy.

Attached Images
IMG_0597..jpg (96.5 KB, 1273 views)
Breakfast at the &.jpg (79.4 KB, 1267 views)

Last edited by Oregon Commuter; 07-17-10 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Correcting spacing

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.