Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is anybody buying Titanium frames?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 08:16 PM
Velo Fellow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone recently bought or planning to buy a purely titanium frame..... or has it become Old School in the shadow of carbon fiber?
Old 09-22-13, 08:26 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
No there are a few places that still deal in Ti. Bikes Direct sells a pretty nice one that a friend of mine just bought. I believe some still make Scandium bikes as well. I don't know if any of the major companies still do because they are pretty much tooled up for Aluminum and CF. I think it is the price rather than being old school that limits their sales. Much like the new light weight steel it cost as much as CF so might as well get CF if you are going to want a CF fork, seat post, wheels and bars anyway. But for those that love Ti it is worth the cost.
Old 09-22-13, 08:38 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I have a Seven Axiom which I bought used in 2012. It's a great bike, but quite stiff and jarring on rough roads. It feels a lot like the CAAD5 Cannondale I used to have.

Mobile 155 is right, the frame cost $3500, you could get a pretty decent cf bike for that.
Old 09-22-13, 08:45 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a Titanium GT Edge back in '98 and I still ride it a lot. To answer your question, yes, Titanium is somewhat old school, though not as old as aluminum or steel. If my GT were stolen or somehow destroyed I'd probably buy another Ti frame to replace it. Moots or Seven most likely.

Rick / OCRR
Old 09-22-13, 09:38 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a used Ti frame waiting for parts to build it up. Hopefully in a few weeks it'll be coursing the streets of San Diego!
Old 09-22-13, 10:15 PM
Velo Fellow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Popeyecahn......curious here-- frame brand?
Old 09-22-13, 10:31 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I bought my Ti frame second-hand three years ago. It's become my favorite bike.

When I wear out my primary commuter, I'll replace it with something in Ti. I haven't yet seen a carbon bike with rack and fender mounts. I need to bolt stuff to my bikes.

Titanium just fits my needs better. My primary use is transportation. My Litespeed goes to work half the time, and does errands. Unpainted Ti doesn't leave paint behind or collect scratches every time I lock up someplace. And around here, unpainted Ti is invisible to bike thieves.

From a fashion standpoint, the graphics-of-the-week, this year's tube shapes, and everything else contribute to carbon bikes looking dated in only a year or two. I can't count the number of times people have been blown away when I tell them my bike is 17 years old--18 now that the 2014s are out. "It still looks new," they tell me. Style never goes out of fashion.

Finally, showing up at a ride with new people on a Ti bike, with a light patina of road on it, tells folks exactly what they can expect of me as a rider, and that I won't have to be told to hold my line, or take my pull.

Hey, are those carbon wonderbikes trailing in my wake?

Last edited by tsl; 09-22-13 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-22-13, 11:10 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
[QUOTE=tsl;16094105]I bought my Ti frame second-hand three years ago. It's become my favorite bike.

When I wear out my primary commuter, I'll replace it with something in Ti. I haven't yet seen a carbon bike with rack and fender mounts. I need to bolt stuff to my bikes.

Titanium just fits my needs better. My primary use is transportation. My Litespeed goes to work half the time, and does errands. Unpainted Ti doesn't leave paint behind or collect scratches every time I lock up someplace. And around here, unpainted Ti is invisible to bike thieves.

From a fashion standpoint, the graphics-of-the-week, this year's tube shapes, and everything else contribute to carbon bikes looking dated in only a year or two. I can't count the number of times people have been blown away when I tell them my bike is 17 years old--18 now that the 2014s are out. "It still looks new," they tell me. Style never goes out of fashion.

Finally, showing up at a ride with new people on a Ti bike, with a light patina of road on it, tells folks exactly what they can expect of me as a rider, and that I won't have to be told to hold my line, or take my pull.

QUOTE]

Like I said those that like Ti don't care what others think nor do they care that the big guys aren't making Ti. To those that don't care for Ti they don't care what others think and would rather have the new graphics. Same as old cars, old motorcycles, wood verses Fiberglass boats. The two groups simply don't care what the others prefer. And the major manufacturers only care what people are willing to buy. With so many young riders coming along they simply get introduced the what the LBS and Bike Magazines are selling and when it comes time to vote with their wallet they get what they know about. The very qualities that make some love Ti, the flex, is the very quality I don't car for. Doesn't keep me from admiring my friends Motobecane. Though unlike you I find the unpainted look to be dated. Sort of like a Delorean. And I haven't mounted racks, bags or finders on a road bike in years. But I get the same reaction you do with my Klein. I have upgraded it quite a bit but when I say it is a 91 I get quite a few looks.
Old 09-22-13, 11:38 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I know nothing about Ti except it's bad rep for flexing before the OS tubing started being used. Obviously it's being better appreciated since.
Old 09-23-13, 01:00 AM
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
I know nothing about Ti except it's bad rep for flexing before the OS tubing started being used. Obviously it's being better appreciated since.
Yeah, that would probably be the Teledyne Titan. Whippier than a limp noodle until someone figured out you were supposed to OS the tubes and mix in something other than just Ti...

I have a 16 yo brushed Ti bike. I'd get a Moots if the opportunity ever presented itself.
Old 09-23-13, 02:17 AM
bing181
Gios

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh, Look 586, Merckx Corsa 01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Colnago Titanium, which I enjoyed immensely but moved on when a) I realised it wasn't THAT much more of a bike than my steel Merckx and b) I took out a friend's high-end CF bike.

But each to his/her own, and I can certainly understand the arguments for. I just feel though that these days, CF is where all the know-how is.
Old 09-23-13, 05:13 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
There are old school Ti bikes and new school Ti bikes. They aren't as noodle like now as they were initially but they are expensive. I would sell every bike in the garage before the Ti bike but to each, his own.
Old 09-23-13, 05:34 AM
Hendricks97

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, Salsa Ti Fargo, Kona Electric Ute

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked up my 2013 Ti Salsa Fargo a few months ago and its the best ride Ive ever had.
Old 09-23-13, 05:45 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
Anyone recently bought or planning to buy a purely titanium frame..... or has it become Old School in the shadow of carbon fiber?
Ti, from what I understand has the light weight of aluminum, the strength of steel and (unfortunately) the cost of CF. Lot's of people who have it, like it.
Old 09-23-13, 06:55 AM
jolly_ross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
Ti, from what I understand has the light weight of aluminum, the strength of steel and (unfortunately) the cost of CF. Lot's of people who have it, like it.
Very similar weight per volume to aluminium - but a tolerance to repeated flexing means that frames can be built thinner and lighter and give a bit more flex which translates to comfort. Aluminium can not be allowed to move at all as it will work harden very quickly and snap. Carbon is superior in many ways - except for cool. Cool is completely subjective and meaningless so probably best ignored. I have a Litespeed roadie and a Moots mtb- so clearly I am quite stupid.
Old 09-23-13, 07:01 AM
mkane77g

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 Bianchi
Old 09-23-13, 07:06 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
If I was going to get a travel bike, it would be a Hampsten Cycles Strada Bianca Ti Travelissimo. Also, the Lynskey Cooper CX is supposed to be a fine bike.
Old 09-23-13, 07:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I would 100 times rather have a titanium frame than a carbon fiber frame. IMO carbon frames are too tender and will not last. A titanium frame on the other hand if not wrecked will last a lifetime.
Old 09-23-13, 07:21 AM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
Popeyecahn......curious here-- frame brand?
Some crack pot in New York makes 'em, Ben something or another...
Old 09-23-13, 08:29 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
After considering all makes and types - steel, carbon, titanium--- we ordered a custom Seven Ti Axiom SL tandem, with S&S couplers and it was delivered in summer of 2012.

This was probably the most expensive bike I'll ever own, and I would do it all over again.

Old 09-23-13, 08:43 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I would 100 times rather have a titanium frame than a carbon fiber frame. IMO carbon frames are too tender and will not last. A titanium frame on the other hand if not wrecked will last a lifetime.
+1
I would love to experiment with some TI builds but costs keep me at bay. I have some CF but I also worry about their fragility. Travelling around, packing into vehicles, loading onto racks, etc --I worry about the wrong accidental blow cracking the CF. Steel (and presumably TI) is way more hardy IMO.

[Whoa, that's a very nice bike in that post above. Cool.]

Last edited by dbg; 09-23-13 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 08:47 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_ross
Very similar weight per volume to aluminium - but a tolerance to repeated flexing means that frames can be built thinner and lighter and give a bit more flex which translates to comfort.
Al frames are generally lighter than Ti frames. Even with the larger tubing.

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Titanium is somewhat old school, though not as old as aluminum or steel. .

Rick / OCRR
Ti is WAY more old school than Al. For example, none of the major manufacturers make a Ti road bike, or even a Ti performance bike of any kind. Or as far as I am aware of ANY Ti bike. Where Al is still widely available everywhere, and technical innovation is still ongoing. See hydroformed tubing for example.

Last edited by rebel1916; 09-23-13 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 08:49 AM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
After considering all makes and types - steel, carbon, titanium--- we ordered a custom Seven Ti Axiom SL tandem, with S&S couplers and it was delivered in summer of 2012.

This was probably the most expensive bike I'll ever own, and I would do it all over again.

Is that the Hydration model?
Old 09-23-13, 09:06 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
I would love to experiment with some TI builds but costs keep me at bay.
This is why I went with second-hand. Kept the costs affordable. Unlike some other materials, there are no long-term durability issues or hidden damage issues to worry about either. It's a much safer bet than with other materials as they age.
Old 09-23-13, 10:15 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
I think my next bike will be Ti.

Light, strong, durable, and corrosion proof. What's not to like?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.