Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ideal rim width for Schwalbe Big Ben 26x2.15 tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-20, 11:35 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts

Looking for some actual experience, if anyone has the Schwalbe Big Ben tires in the 2.15" width. Or, any actual experience with running wider 26" tires on relatively narrower rims.

Currently using an older set of the Matrix Swami rims, which used to have a 26x1.95" tire on them. Have installed a set of the Schwalbe Big Bens, in 26x2.15". Haven't measured the internal diameter of the rim with calipers, yet, but I strongly suspect a much wider rim would be the better choice for overall comfort and handling. Estimate of rims' internal width: 18-19mm or so.

For the long haul, I am considering something like a Velocity CliffHanger or similar, with an internal width of ~25-30mm. Have had a set of 26x1.95" tires on a Velocity Dyad @ I.D. of 18.6mm, and those were fine.

I'm aware of some of the recommendations, out there, on rim width to accommodate tires of a certain dimension. Such as the "Tire Sizing Chart" on the Sheldon Brown website.

Won't be used hard, or off-pavement; rather, mostly used on normal to somewhat-rougher urban streets.
Old 02-17-20, 12:04 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
My most recent wheel build was a cheap-and-cheerful Weinmann AS7X. I, too, wanted something relatively wide to give a big footprint for 26" tires, but didn't like the 600g weight penalty and cost of the Cliffhanger. The $20 AS7X (internal width of 24.8mm) turned out to be about 488g, and it has held up just fine despite its single-wall construction.

This Weinmann 522 (internal width of 22mm) is also single-wall, but the concave shape makes it very strong. I've ridden one for 10,000+ miles now: https://www.hoopriderparts.com/produ...hole%20-%20nos

But I think rims of 19mm (internal) or less have been pretty common throughout MTB history... most of Mavic's MTB offerings were 17mm, and that was reflected in the model names (517, 717, etc.) So if you're not running ultra-low pressures in dirt, it probably won't make a big difference.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 02-17-20, 04:15 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW and no recommendations here, I'm running 26 x 2.1 Vee 10s @ 20-25 PSI on a pair of Mavic DH19's. My studded 2.1 tires are Innova, run at the same low pressure and also fit the rims. No issues or problems since installation a few years back.

I should edit to add I beat these tires and rims to death off road.
Likes For North Coast Joe:
Old 02-17-20, 04:24 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
2.15 isn't very wide, 19mm will be fine. Rene agrees too https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth...eed-wide-rims/
Old 02-17-20, 10:31 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
2.15 isn't very wide, 19mm will be fine. Rene agrees too https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth...eed-wide-rims/
Though, 19mm internal rim width is what RH is suggesting is at the lowest end of recommended rim sizing for 55mm section tires (which the Schwalbe Big Ben 26x2.15's are). All of the other websites that suggest various sizing, including ones with fairly solid reputations, are pretty much the same suggestion: as tires get fairly wide, it helps to have somewhat wider rims ... and that ~18mm I.D. or so tends to be at the low end of the acceptable range according to such references (including the RH link above).

Was just wondering what people's individual experiences have been. I know that many run 26x2.1" to x2.4" tires and was looking for how people found the practical, real-world performance and handling of such, with their own rims.

It's nice to see that many others are running sub-20mm internal-width rims with tires that go wider than 2.1" or so.

Most of my experience with fairly wide section-widths is on motor vehicles, and it can matter quite a lot as to how wide the rim is as compared to the tire, in terms of essential handling quickness and sharpness. Not that I'm going to be flogging these tires hard, but still.

Thanks for the info so far. And the links.
Old 02-20-20, 09:06 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
There is no issue at all until you push the bike hard. Really hard. Since a Big Ben is made for cruising it is doubly theoretical. Big Ben is a wonderful tire for its purpose. Just enjoy.
Old 02-20-20, 10:53 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would not even think twice about running a 2.15” tire on a 18mm ID.

i mean, if I was already planning to get a new rim anyway, I’d bump it up some, but the differences are really splitting hairs. No way I would invest the money for your purposes.

People used to mountain bike with much larger tires than that on 18mm rims.