Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Will the new tax laws change your bike giving?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Will the new tax laws change your bike giving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-17, 01:17 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Cranky, that's an interesting viewpoint. Not sure how many upscale bikes are donated as part of an estate liquidation vs. donated because it's easier than selling when making a new bike purchase, but you might be right. On the other hand, no lunch is free. You got your bikes for a great price, but the donating owners in theory should only be able to deduct what you paid for them.

Setting a deduction value for donated property (as opposed to cash) gets complicated if you want to do it right and not have things get unhappy if questioned by the taxing authority:
1) anything over a couple hundred bucks requires an official appraisal by a reasonable authority, or a comparable valuation based on actual sales
2) if the item is given by the nonprofit to an actual end user, the donating party can deduct the value of comparably sold items based on willing seller/willing buyer (e.g. completed and paid eBay sales or sales from a used bike shop)
3) If the receiving nonprofit entity sells the donated item, the max the donating party should be able to claim is the actual selling price. As I recall, this was put in place to end the scam where an owner would donate a used car or boat to a charity and get a huge deduction, but the charity sold off the donated vehicles in bulk or bia auction and received much less in cash than the claimed deduction.

Not trying to be the expert here, just a guy who's had to muddle through this stuff in the past with an accountant. YMMV.
Old 12-31-17, 02:11 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
This is the correct answer, there is nothing here to dispute...

If you give the same $1000 to charity that formerly cost you around $700, it now costs you $1000 ($300 more net) if you can no longer claim it as an itemized deduction.

All things equal, you'll only be able to give $700 ongoing. Everyone's situation may be different, but chances are if you itemized previously, you will pay around the same same or even more as you did before in taxes (without the ability to give the extra $300 - or net $1000 - to charity on a discretionary basis). The only difference is that instead of choosing to give the extra $300 to charity at a cost of $700, you have now given it to those that benefit the most from the new tax structure. Those are without a doubt the top 5% of earners and corporations.

If you took the standard deduction before, and gave to charity, and will continue to; this is an unrelated discussion.
You never gave the $1000 to begin with. You gave $700. The Government gave the other $300. I never forced the government to pay for my charity. I left them out of it.
Old 12-31-17, 02:19 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I've never done it either as I never itemize. But I have heard of a good number of people who assert that they do calculate in the deduction when deciding how much to give to charity which leads me to suspect it may be less rare than you theorize. Of course the big fish will still be itemizing deductions, so the impact if any will be largely on the smaller contributions coming from working Americans.
Depending on your definition of working Americans, they already rarely itemize. Realize the standard deduction is not indexed for income. So people with $50K in income more rarely have enough deductions to make itemizing worth it. Meanwhile, someone making $1,000,000 in income will have no problem rapidly coming up with deductions far in excess of the standard deduction.

Once the standard married deduction doubles next year, itemizing will become even rarer. "Big Fish" individuals will quickly run into caps on mortgage interest, state and local taxes and more.

From the tax foundation website: "It’s not surprising that high-income households are more likely to itemize deductions. Households with high incomes are likely to pay more in state and local taxes, take out larger mortgages, and have more disposable income to donate to charity – each of which can lead to a sizeable deduction for households that itemize. Furthermore, deductions are more valuable for households that fall into higher tax brackets, giving high-income households a stronger incentive to keep the necessary records to itemize."

Deductions are worth a lot more to people that pay a tax rate of 40% than people that pay 10%.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-31-17 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-31-17, 03:30 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

I am bowing out of this thread. It will only lead to bad blood. I am happy I am getting a tax cut. It will really help my family.
Old 12-31-17, 03:35 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
I will not be getting a tax cut. I will be among the many millions who are screwed over the long term. Eff this thread, the so-called leader that is making a precious few even more spectacularly rich, and whoever supports him.

And if that gets me banned, so be it.

EDIT: Why is this thread even still here two pages in? Disgusting. Subtle shilling for these self-serving criminals is still shilling and has ZERO place here.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 12-31-17, 03:37 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Originally Posted by J.Oxley
I will not be getting a tax cut. I will be among the many millions who are screwed over the long term. Eff this thread, the so-called leader that is making a precious few even more spectacularly rich, and whoever supports him.

And if that gets me banned, so be it.
Wow! It just got ugly!
Old 12-31-17, 03:49 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Exactly my point SW. In a before vs after situation, the $300 that the government gave to charities is now going to those in the highest income bracket, and then some since it's also a major leverage play. Leverage in the sense future tax payers are funding the net impact of the gains (going mainly to the top income bracket) and losses (minor losses to middle class earners that have a lot of deductible activities).

The question was the impact to charities. I'm not saying the former situation was right or wrong, just assessing the impact to 501(c)(3) organizations and the offsetting gains per the new tax law. I'm a CPA who has read the entire bill, parts two or three times. If this sounds like I'm advocating one way or another, that's not my point at all. Just passing along what I and many others see as the likely outcomes, and the impact to charities is certainly a big one.

The real wild card is if the extra trillion to trillion-five of added debt (in addition to the current rate of debt loading) will have a substantial impact on ongoing borrowing costs; considering the current national debt is already at some 18 trillion. At some point, that ship may set sail, turning it back around will be nearly impossible. But then again, there is so much money chasing even marginal investments these days...

What I find more interesting than the more obvious stuff are the eventual impacts of things within the tax code. Several of these might turn out being far different than what the drafters of the code may have envisioned. For example, not being able to deduct mortgage interest on loans in excess of $750K and property taxes in excess of $10K might lead to a host of unintended consequences for communities that presently consider themselves as well to do. Forgive my BBA in accounting with minor in Econ geekyness...

As for the actual question posed, most of the bikes I give away go to kids up and down my block that need a decent bike when they go to college. None of the neighborhood kids are a charitable organization (at least not officially), so no change here...
Old 12-31-17, 03:49 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
This thread moved into Political. Time to close.