Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Modify flat-bar stem clamp to take curved road bar?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 07:33 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

These days it's difficult to find long, up-angled quill stems for road bars. I'm mostly limited to single-bolt clamps with wide clamping area, designed for flat bars. There's no faceplate to remove, and the clamp area is too wide to slide a curved road bar through.
But I wondered about taking a dremel to the clamp area of such a stem, to get a narrower area so I can slide curved bars through. Traditional forged single-bolt road stems typically have a 27mm narrowed area to accomodate sliding the curved bar through.

Attached are two pictures showing a welded-aluminum stem with clamp designed for 25.4 mm flat bar, and traditional forged-aluminum road stem with narrower clamp designed for 25.4mm curved drop bar. The former, of course, is what I'd use the dremel on.
Does anyone have experience with this sort of task? It seems safe enough to me, although maybe welded aluminum isn't a good material to get narrow enough for road bars installation on single-bolt clamp.

Last edited by TallRider; 09-03-18 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-02-18, 07:39 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I'd suggest getting a quill stem adapter. If you get one that fits the ID of your fork steerer and a 1 1/8" top section, you can use any current 1 1/8" threadless stem and 31.8mm diameter handlebar. Much more options than older quill stems/26mm bars.
Old 09-02-18, 07:49 PM
TallRider

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
I'd suggest getting a quill stem adapter. If you get one that fits the ID of your fork steerer and a 1 1/8" top section, you can use any current 1 1/8" threadless stem and 31.8mm diameter handlebar. Much more options than older quill stems/26mm bars.
I've considered that option, and as you say, it may be the best solution.
I'm still interested in the viability of adapting a wider-clamp (flat-bar) quill stem, though.
Old 09-02-18, 07:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by TallRider
It seems safe enough to me, although maybe welded aluminum isn't a good material to get narrow enough for road bars installation on single-bolt clamp.

...it's probably not the best idea. I wouldn't encourage it, exactly for safety reasons. There are shims for this purpose made and sold, or you can make your own.
I think the suggestion to go to a threadless stem is a good one, and there's less chance of maxillofacial surgery involved.
Old 09-02-18, 08:14 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Wouldn't be hard to take both of those to make one final piece. Sleeving the mating butt joints & welding them would rely on the type of material it is & skillset of the welder.
Old 09-02-18, 08:39 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Old 09-02-18, 08:45 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
These days it's difficult to find long, up-angled quill stems for road bars. I'm mostly limited to single-bolt clamps with wide clamping area, designed for flat bars. There's no faceplate to remove, and the clamp area is too wide to slide a curved road bar through.
But I wondered about taking a dremel to the clamp area of such a stem, to get a narrower area so I can slide curved bars through. Traditional forged single-bolt road stems typically have a 27mm narrowed area to accomodate sliding the curved bar through.

Attached are two pictures showing a welded-aluminum stem with clamp designed for 25.mm flat bar, and traditional forged-aluminum road stem with narrower clamp designed for 25.4mm curved drop bar. The former, of course, is what I'd use the dremel on.
Does anyone have experience with this sort of task? It seems safe enough to me, although maybe welded aluminum isn't a good material to get narrow enough for road bars installation on single-bolt clamp.
threading a drop bars through a single bolt stem can be tricky, but usually doable. I usually stick a large screwdriver blade into the clamp gap and twist it to prise the gap open a little. This usually buys me enough space to get the bars through. Obviously, the is easier to do with the stem mounted on the bike, so one hand on the screwdriver and the other to manipulate the bars. You might scratch up the bars at the bends, but bar tape hides a multitude of ills!

Last edited by Litespud; 09-02-18 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-02-18, 09:51 PM
TallRider

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...it's probably not the best idea. I wouldn't encourage it, exactly for safety reasons. There are shims for this purpose made and sold, or you can make your own.
I think the suggestion to go to a threadless stem is a good one, and there's less chance of maxillofacial surgery involved.
I agree that threadless adapter is a known quantity, and safe.
What do you think is the risk with what I am proposing? I mean, what paths do you see that might potentially lead to failure?
Also, what kind of shims are you referring to? I'm planning to put a 25.4mm bar in a stem with a 25.4mm clamp.

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Go get a Kalloy Dirt Drop stem...
You've got me thinking. A steep angled rise like the Dirt Drop isn't exactly what I was looking for, but I wasn't clear about this in my original post. I have a Dirt Drop style stem with mustache bar on my commuter, with 130mm extension. But even with such a long extension, most of it isn't going forward because of the up angle, so it wouldn't help me get my desired forward reach reach.
See the two attached photos to compare a 130mm Dirt Drop-(ish) stem to a 140mm stem that's only slightly up-angled. Note that the photos aren't exactly to scale, so the Dirt Drop looks larger than it actually is.

Old 09-02-18, 10:00 PM
TallRider

Originally Posted by Litespud
threading a drop bars through a single bolt stem can be tricky, but usually doable. I usually stick a large screwdriver blade into the clamp gap and twist it to prise the gap open a little. This usually buys me enough space to get the bars through. Obviously, the is easier to do with the stem mounted on the bike, so one hand on the screwdriver and the other to manipulate the bars. You might scratch up the bars at the bends, but bar tape hides a multitude of ills!
The screwdriver-spread is part of my plan, if needed, but it wouldn't work by itself because the clamp area of a single-bolt mtb bar is so much wider (41mm) than the narrowest section of the clamp area of a single-bolt road bar (27mm).
I plan to shave off an angle of material on each side of the clamp, so I have a narrower gap to allow the curved parts of a drop bar to get through. I should have put a picture of this originally.
I think that if I file and buff and the cut area so there isn't a spot for stress risers to develop, this should be as safe as the unmodified stem.

Old 09-02-18, 10:16 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
The screwdriver-spread is part of my plan, if needed, but it wouldn't work by itself because the clamp area of a single-bolt mtb bar is so much wider (41mm) than the narrowest section of the clamp area of a single-bolt road bar (27mm).
I plan to shave off an angle of material on each side of the clamp, so I have a narrower gap to allow the curved parts of a drop bar to get through. I should have put a picture of this originally.
I think that if I file and buff and the cut area so there isn't a spot for stress risers to develop, this should be as safe as the unmodified stem.

IMO, cutting away the marked portion of the clamp should be OK. Those sections aren't particularly stressed and don't really contribute to the clamping force on the handlebar.

Of course if I'm wrong... they're your teeth you're risking.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 09-02-18, 10:46 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Based on all the parameters, stem angle, length, drop bar, etc., just get an adapter and use a threadless stem to get exactly what you want.

​​​​​​​I think most people would think cutting part of the flange might work, but I doubt anyone here would tell you to cut it because it will work and be safe. Too much risk to try to save a few bucks and re-purpose a stem you already have. You'll be going it alone on that call.

John
Old 09-02-18, 11:41 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
I agree that threadless adapter is a known quantity, and safe.
What do you think is the risk with what I am proposing? I mean, what paths do you see that might potentially lead to failure?
Also, what kind of shims are you referring to? I'm planning to put a 25.4mm bar in a stem with a 25.4mm clamp.
....I'm uncomfortable with your idea of modifying a stem that has been originally constructed by welding the aluminum clamp (which may be cast or forged, I'm uncertain which), to the aluminum tubing that is the stem extension. I presume that the whole thing has been heat treated after construction to relieve the hardening/stresses that were set up in the welding process. But again, that's a presumption.

Finally, you had originally stated that the clamp diameter is for a 25 mm bar, and you want to insert a 25.4 bar into it. I know that .4 mm does not sound like much, but in this instance ( a stem clamp diameter) it will result in some increased chance of cracking somewhere on the clamp area.....this is based on personal observation. Certainly people do worse things to stems and do not end up breaking their faces. I'm just telling you that I have learned over the years to match bar diameter and stem diameter. They made both 26.4 bars and 26 bars for road use for quite a while, and the stems were also made specific for those diameters.

Best mechanical practice is to use something that you don't need to pry on a whole lot when dealing with forged or cast aluminum alloy.
Old 09-03-18, 12:11 AM
TallRider

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....I'm uncomfortable with your idea of modifying a stem that has been originally constructed by welding the aluminum clamp (which may be cast or forged, I'm uncertain which), to the aluminum tubing that is the stem extension. I presume that the whole thing has been heat treated after construction to relieve the hardening/stresses that were set up in the welding process. But again, that's a presumption.

Finally, you had originally stated that the clamp diameter is for a 25 mm bar, and you want to insert a 25.4 bar into it. I know that .4 mm does not sound like much, but in this instance ( a stem clamp diameter) it will result in some increased chance of cracking somewhere on the clamp area.....this is based on personal observation. Certainly people do worse things to stems and do not end up breaking their faces. I'm just telling you that I have learned over the years to match bar diameter and stem diameter. They made both 26.4 bars and 26 bars for road use for quite a while, and the stems were also made specific for those diameters.

Best mechanical practice is to use something that you don't need to pry on a whole lot when dealing with forged or cast aluminum alloy.
Thank you. very helpful. My mistake, I'd written 25.mm when I meant to write 25.4 in the original post. Edited now.
I hadn't thought of how cutting would interact with the heat treating and/or internal tension/stress leftover within the metal. If the metal was under some degree of internal stress (like frames that, when you cut the tubes, they don't stay lined up) then cutting out an apparent non-load-bearing section could offset the balance. My understanding is that heat treating neutralizes such internal tension in the metal. But I don't know for sure the construction history here, or whether it was heat treated after production, and this question introduces a greater degree of uncertainty and thus limits my ability to project risk. That said, the part I'm proposing to cut off doesn't seem at all likely to contain or reinforce internal tension or stress, since it's effectively a hanging corner.

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Based on all the parameters, stem angle, length, drop bar, etc., just get an adapter and use a threadless stem to get exactly what you want.
​​​​​​​I think most people would think cutting part of the flange might work, but I doubt anyone here would tell you to cut it because it will work and be safe. Too much risk to try to save a few bucks and re-purpose a stem you already have. You'll be going it alone on that call.

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
IMO, cutting away the marked portion of the clamp should be OK. Those sections aren't particularly stressed and don't really contribute to the clamping force on the handlebar.
Of course if I'm wrong... they're your teeth you're risking.
Yeah. The odds seem like this is likely to be fine, but I'm not entirely confident (and less so after 3alarmer's explanation).

Last edited by TallRider; 09-03-18 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-03-18, 03:31 AM
Stormy Archer
Peugeot PSV10 or somethin

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I think it's worth taking into account rider weight and riding style.

However, I will also say I don't think you've dug through quite enough parts bins, or don't have enough in your area. I think these types of stems exists in 2 bolt styles. I've also seen a lot of long 0 degree road stems that might have enough quill to get enough height. As a matter of fact, I haven't really seen all too many stems like the one you have pictured - most of the 1 bolt long MTB bar stems I see are steel, not alloy.

Speaking of which, you could also try using a steel one. It might be OK to open up the clamp more since steel can take that kind of bending stress better.

Next time I'm at the bike kitchen I'll dig through the stems and see if I can find any better suited for you.
Old 09-03-18, 06:34 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
One way to spread the bar clamp opening in a controlled manner is to remove the clamp bolt and thread it in from the other side. Place a penny or other small metal disk in the opening and tighten the bolt against it. That will spread the gap and not require three hands or gouge the metal like a screwdriver can.

Now, whether you can widen the gap enough to feed the bars through without over-stressing the clamp metal is not certain.
Old 09-03-18, 07:39 PM
TallRider

It turns out the cro-mo stem that was on my flat-bar commuter (painted black, pictured above next to the dirt drop-ish stem for comparison) has a narrowed section on the underside of the clamp area, so it can take road bars. I'd thought it was 43mm clamp the entire way around. This stem has the same extension and rise as the aluminum stem that I'd considered cutting. So, I will use the steel.

Perhaps this thread will turn up and be helpful to someone considering shaving metal off the clamp area of a single-bolt stem in the future.

Old 09-04-18, 11:45 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
google search "nitto dirt drop stem"

https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-dirt...10_870/product

https://velo-orange.com/collections/.../vo-quill-stem

Old 09-04-18, 02:21 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
One way to spread the bar clamp opening in a controlled manner is to remove the clamp bolt and thread it in from the other side. Place a penny or other small metal disk in the opening and tighten the bolt against it. That will spread the gap and not require three hands or gouge the metal like a screwdriver can.

Now, whether you can widen the gap enough to feed the bars through without over-stressing the clamp metal is not certain.
That's the best way to do it. If the threaded section doesn't go all the way through, you can do it with a longer bolt and a nut from the open side.