Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Di2 cutting in and out

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Di2 cutting in and out

Old 01-03-20, 09:49 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Di2 cutting in and out

So my ultegra Di2 started to act up today...

It's been working perfectly ever since moving everything over to a new frame last month, but 15 minutes into my ride today, it just stopped shifting. A few minutes later it would work for a moment. Then stopped again...so on and so forth. I just went through the whole system, disconnected and reconnected every wire, but that didn't solve anything. I also noticed that it would randomly go into micro-adjust mode when it is working.

Battery is/was sufficiently charged, and the bike has not been washed/exposed to any harsh weather/conditions recently. The entire system is about six months old and this is the first time that I've experienced an issue. Unfortunately, I only have Mac/iOS (do not have wireless unit installed) at home so I'm not able to connect to the E-Tube software to run diagnostics or update firmware.

Has any one else experienced something similar? Or have any ideas about a solution?
Old 01-03-20, 10:02 PM
sanmi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Loose connection? I had intermittent problems when I first got Di2 and didn’t have the little plastic wiring tool. I had plugged a component in by hand and the connection wasn’t sufficiently secure.
Old 01-05-20, 01:26 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
The first thing usually happens when there is a loose connection or 'broken' electric wire.

It shouldn't go into micro-adjust mode by itself though.. If I had to guess I'd blame the Junction A, but that'd just be guessing . I would take it to an LBS so that they can hook it up to an SM-PCE02 (or SM-PCE1) to do diagnostics.
Old 01-05-20, 05:51 PM
melikebikey35

I did take it to my LBS yesterday, and they hooked it up to the diagnostic software. No errors came up, but every component was due for a firmware update. After the update it was back to shifting normally...for a brief time. Once I got it home, it started acting up again. I then tried replacing the battery, but that did not solve it. So, I ordered new A and B junction boxes, Y-split/down tube wires. Once they arrive, I'll tear down the whole system and start replacing components until it works again.

After thinking about for a while, I believe that it's the down tube wire that's the cause...I have it heat-shrinked to the brake hose and where they enter the frame is a very tight fit (Di2 isn't designed to go there on an R5).
I then tried a longer stem for a few days earlier in the week, so I think that may have stretched/pinched the Di2 wire, since there wasn't enough slack.
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 01-05-20, 09:47 PM
melikebikey35

UPDATE: I was right...it was the downtube wire. I put a new one in and everything seems to be back to normal