Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Another BOA Failure

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Another BOA Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-20, 10:09 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Well, Velcro definitely has a limited life. I suppose in theory you could stitch on replacement Velcro once it dies ... I have to admit to avoiding BOA as it seems rather fragile. I still like the older ratchet system which has served me well over the years.
I have this terrible habit of scraping my heels when I walk and thus the reason I don't buy expensive cycling shoes. Normally, the heel of the shoes wear out before the Velcro does. On average, a cycling shoe lasts me a little over a year and a half.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-17-20, 10:13 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
On average, a cycling shoe lasts me a little over a year and a half.
Good Heavens! That is quite a rate of attrition. My last shoes (Shimano - Iace up but I'm not sure of the model no) lasted somewhere in the region of 12-15 years. In fact they're still usable so I've hung on to them for emergency use - such as when I've ridden through an unexpected cloudburst with my regular shoes and they haven't yet dried out. Mind you, I don't do a lot of walking in them.
Old 02-18-20, 12:10 PM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Lake shoes, within a year one BOA adjuster broke - BOA sent the replacement, easy fix.

Within months of that, the other shoe's BOA broke - but this time it was the base that is sewn into the shoe. BOA says we don't warranty that part, Lake said out of warranty.

Was going to go back to ratchet or velcro (I just can't go back to laces, I'm too sloppy and invariably forget to do the right foot differently from the left foot) but Sidi shoes with their version of the BOA style closure plus velcro straps was on sale and I went for those. The way they work seems like they would be more failure-prone than BOA, but so far they are problem free.
Old 02-18-20, 03:31 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I have no need or desire to own over-engineered shoe laces. Just one more thing to break. Besides, shoe laces can be customized and Boa's cant'. I'm no prude when it comes to technology but the technology has to work every time.

Being transparent, yes I do have a pair of Salomon trail shoes with Boa laces. I liked them in the store! Got on the trail and they were a hassle. I don't like the loop doo-dad. Those nice shoes are relegated to weekend chores. So now I have over-engineered weekend chore shoes! ROFL!