Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cycling films/documentaries

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cycling films/documentaries

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 09:41 PM
Gino71

Bikes: 1998 Kestrel Rubicon Comp, 1980's Nashbar Sport RX, 20?? Tommaso Augusta, 2016 Pure Fix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Bikes Vs Cars is a good documentary about bicycle culture and advocacy. It's filmed in a few different countries to show the perspective of cyclists and how they are perceived in their culture.

Likes For Gino71:
Old 02-20-20, 09:59 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Chris Boardman - The Final Hour

Totò al Giro d'Italia. Appearances by Coppi, Bartali, Magni, Kubler and Bobet.

https://vimeo.com/142055589
Old 02-21-20, 06:53 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I loved it for the 1965 vintage bikes and challenging early tour conditions.
Below is a post by someone that does not even care for the C&V bikes but loved the cinema.

Doug Graves
Dear National Film Board of Canada, God Yes, Thank You Thank You So Much for posting this great movie! It is one of my favorites of all time! This is Kinetic-Kinesthetic Visual Cinema at its Best! I don't care at all about the literal subject matter; I'm not interested in bicycling or the Tour du St. Laurent. It only provides the moving visual material for all the great 35mm Color Camerawork by the masterful cameraman, Jean-Claude Labrecque & his talented team of camera operators! This wonderful movie is just one great shot after another! The exciting, visceral, kinetically exhilarating moving camera shots always blow me away! The creatively striking camera angles are extremely trippy & fun! The gorgeous, formally composed images are eye-popping & colorfully vivid. It's full of beautiful cinematic compositions of the Canadian scenery & towns that the bicyclists pass through during their race. There are also exquisite moments of visually exciting editing that pop out quick & fast & leave me breathless with sensual pleasure.This is a wonderful example of the kind of visual cinema that was coming out of the French unit of The National Film Board of Canada at the time! Cinematically stylized, visual "cinema verite" that is so much fun! This is my favorite kind of movie making; pure, unbridled cinematic pleasure for its own sake! This is really the most valid kind of cinema there is. All the visual effects could only be created & experienced in cinema. Without the unique technology of motion picture celluloid film; without sitting in a theater watching the film being projected onto the big screen(or a decent enough approximation like this), no one could ever experience the kinesthetic high of pleasure that this kind of movie delivers to those viewers with the responsive sensitivity to appreciate & feel it!

Last edited by joesch; 02-21-20 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-21-20, 06:44 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by AliH
Rob Penn's Ride of my Life from the BBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg9iYK-9E0

I've watched this a few times - not really in the true spirit of C&V, but it's all good quality stuff.

And being a Scotsman, I would always stick up for The Flying Scotsman movie about Graeme Obree.
Joe Breeze and I get ten minutes of that, starting at about 30:00. Our part is def C&V on Repack. A week after it aired in UK, I hosted a couple of riders from UK, and Joe came along. The Brits were shocked to actually ride with the two guys they had seen a week earlier on BBC.
Likes For Repack Rider:
Old 02-21-20, 06:51 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 131 Posts
This 1979 TV footage is the only record of a particular moment in bicycling history.

Unfortunate that YouTube added a bogus sound track to the original.

Likes For Repack Rider:
Old 02-22-20, 01:16 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^^^ 03:40 - "It's come a long way.... and it's going to go a long way." -- Gary "the fish" Fisher (man with a crystal ball)

Aprx 01:15 - Repack Rider .

It's not the "only record", however. Some of this footage was used in a longer documentary feature, made in 2006, called Klunkerz. Used DVDs still available on the 'Bay. I just received a copy night before last; it's the most fun waste of a couple hours I've had in a long time. Much of the Mt. Tam archive footage used in Klunkerz was shot by Ray Flores, using a super-8 film movie camera. Some of it was POV, Ray riding right along with the guys one-handed while shooting with the other hand, choosing a "girls'" step-through so he could readily ditch the bike, continue on foot and not have to stop rolling film.

Edit - silly me, just noticed who posted the above. Sorry, you already know all this....

Last edited by madpogue; 02-22-20 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-22-20, 02:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Manu431
I looked at this film about the "tour de france" 1953 the other day.
Just fantastic .
I was a little surprised to see how low are the saddles set up.
If they made so, it was for sure for a good reason.
Maybe should I lower a little mine myself !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV0wzG3KEgY

(look at 1:05 ; Mountain bike !)
Yup, the fashion was longer, lower, more stretched out, with thighs parallel with the ground at the top of the stroke. So the seat posts often had relatively little extension compared with later eras.

I was a fan of Jacques Anquetil, even more than Mercx (although Eddy was the better and more versatile rider overall), and wondered how Anquetil managed that toe-down style. From comparing his apparent frame and crank sizes, saddle height and knee angle/thigh height, it appeared he tended to prefer frames a size "too large" for his 5'10" height. If he pedaled like most people he'd have needed to rock in the saddle but the toe-down style enabled a more natural leg extension and knee angle. As best I could interpret from a French language interview in an old magazine, one of his mechanics said Anquetil experimented with crank lengths from 160-180 or so. That might explain why in some films his thigh appeared near-parallel with the ground at the top of the stroke, but angled in others, even when the frame size appeared the same (based on head tube height).

I tried to mimic that toe-down pedaling style and ended up with sore knees, sore lower back and hips from rocking and less power. I prefer my saddle a bit higher than average, but nowhere near enough for a toe-down style. Anquetil was a freak of nature. I've met only one cyclist with his pedaling style, a friend who is self taught, does it naturally and is very fast. He doesn't seem to have any idea what I'm talking about when I refer to Anquetil.

My first road bike in 1976 was set up pretty much like those of the 1950s-'60s, but that position would be very uncomfortable with my back, neck and knees now. My 1989 steel road bike now is set up somewhere between that style and current bikes, with racers tending to choose slightly smaller frames, long seat post extensions and a lot of bar drop.

And I've moved toward shorter cranks, so my thighs don't come anywhere near parallel with the ground. Over the years I started feeling more knee strain from 175 cranks, and even 172.5 cranks began causing me problems this year. So I'm moving toward 170 cranks on every bike, and might try even shorter.

Between those bikes, setup, pedaling style, distance and often carrying their own spares as bandoliers, those were some seriously hardcore cyclists back in the day.
Old 02-22-20, 03:25 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Short, but too cool for school

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-22-20, 04:24 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts

Honor Blackman and Diana Dors are so HOT in this!
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 02-22-20, 05:01 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 1,407 Posts
Likes For iab:
Old 02-22-20, 07:40 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
One of my favorites. I must have watched it over a dozen times, making stills, to see if I could identify the bikes:

RIH Sport:

Marcel Kint:

Another RIH Sport:

Groene Leeuw:

Legnano:

There were a bunch of Lejeunes caught up in the crash. It's fun to see how many riders were using barcons instead of DT shifters. At least 2 of the 5 pics you posted are barcon equipped bikes. We don't know about the Marcel Kent.
Old 02-22-20, 12:22 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
There were a bunch of Lejeunes caught up in the crash. It's fun to see how many riders were using barcons instead of DT shifters. At least 2 of the 5 pics you posted are barcon equipped bikes. We don't know about the Marcel Kent.
Thanks for helping with the analysis.

One reason I like watching old footage like this is to see who is using what equipment. The French and Italians are very predictable in using their own national products. The others, like the Belgians and Dutch here, just use their favorite parts, whatever their origin. One combination I've come across many times in period imagery is MAFAC brakes combined with Universal levers, like on number one's bike above:

I've tried it on one of my own bikes, and it does make for a more comfortable grip, while retaining the superior braking of the MAFAC calipers.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-22-20, 12:44 PM
seypat

Thanks for helping with the analysis.

One reason I like watching old footage like this is to see who is using what equipment. The French and Italians are very predictable in using their own national products. The others, like the Belgians and Dutch here, just use their favorite parts, whatever their origin. One combination I've come across many times in period imagery is MAFAC brakes combined with Universal levers, like on number one's bike above:

I've tried it on one of my own bikes, and it does make for a more comfortable grip, while retaining the superior braking of the MAFAC calipers.

Sweet color on your bike.

The way the footage is shot is what make 60 Cycles so great. No opinions, agendas, etc. The viewer is just a virtual rider in the peloton with the rest of them. The camera looks and lingers where it needs to and for the right amount of time.
Old 02-22-20, 01:17 PM
seypat

I just watched it again. Awesome! The camera gives you the sights and sounds of the event. It reminds me of going to a pro golf tournament and being a spectator for the day. Which is a lot different than watching it on TV.
Old 02-22-20, 01:23 PM
d_dutchison
Classic, Vintage Mechanic

Bikes: '65 Legnano Gran Primeo || '76 Holdsworth Mistral || '82 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
Vive Le Tour

Louis Malle's little documentary on the 1962 tour de France, charming but it doesn't shy away from the less savory aspects of the sport. A real eye opener for anyone who wants to see what classic era road racing was like.

Likes For d_dutchison:
Old 02-22-20, 01:36 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Several good ones here. The british transportation one is my favorite but a close second is Bicycle Thieves. It is italien postwar excellence.
Old 02-22-20, 01:53 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by seypat
Sweet color on your bike.

The way the footage is shot is what make 60 Cycles so great. No opinions, agendas, etc. The viewer is just a virtual rider in the peloton with the rest of them. The camera looks and lingers where it needs to and for the right amount of time.
Thanks! Isn't it? It's one of those frames you just buy, even though you don't need a frame. At all. I remember being worried about mrs non-fixie's reaction when I got home with yet another frame. She just said "what a great color!"

And that about that film: it has an innocence about it that is really heart-warming. Even for that time.

Old 02-22-20, 02:50 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I never get tired of watching this one. It includes everything I enjoy about cycling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPkT0paGEnQ
That was a wonderful film, Thank you. This is my personal take on everyday cycling much to the consternation of others. Ride a bit, see something new - stop take photo and repeat. Hopefully I fit in during Eroica.

My favorite as someone posted earlier. I hope to tour the area someday.
A Sunday in Hell
Old 02-22-20, 03:09 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by davester
What can I say but "me too". That movie coincides roughly with my childhood living in England (yes, I'm old) just before we emigrated to America. I am totally attuned to the attitude and spirit conveyed. Hopefully Touroica will embody some of those same feelings.

Wait, what was the topic of this thread?...freewheels?
"Touroica"? Have I missed an announcement? Sounds good, though.

Old 02-22-20, 04:36 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

This is fun:

Old 02-22-20, 08:49 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
London to Holyhead rides.

Old 02-24-20, 02:40 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
"Touroica"? Have I missed an announcement? Sounds good, though.
Yes, you missed the announcement. It's been referred to by various names (such as Davester and Gugie's Wild Ride and other such names). It consists of a small band of intrepid souls saddling up in the San Francisco Bay Area the Tuesday before Eroica California and riding south to Cambria where the Eroica start is. You're welcome to join in...we'll meet you at SF Airport.
Old 02-26-20, 11:51 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by davester
Yes, you missed the announcement. It's been referred to by various names (such as Davester and Gugie's Wild Ride and other such names). It consists of a small band of intrepid souls saddling up in the San Francisco Bay Area the Tuesday before Eroica California and riding south to Cambria where the Eroica start is. You're welcome to join in...we'll meet you at SF Airport.
Ah! Of course. And thanks for the invitation. Much appreciated!

Well, I would like to join you guys, but not this year, I'm afraid. Mrs non-fixie has already quite expeditiously allocated our entire 2020 vacation budget to trips to Belgium (RetroRonde), France (Anjou Vélo Vintage) and Italy (La Superba). So my contribution to Touroica will have to be limited to my clicking on your reports of the proceedings here on BF.

Old 02-26-20, 12:32 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Back in 1995 there was a 3 hour, 2 part, biographical TV movie on Fausto Coppi, titled Il Grande Fausto. I've never seen it but the You Tube clip is very intriguing.
Old 02-26-20, 01:23 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I cannot find this now, but there was one on Vimeo about an old French guy who tours the countryside on his old bike and vintage gear and sleeps in barns and offers to milk cows in exchange for breakfast and such.

It was supremely C&V.

Anybody?

Edit:
GOT IT

https://vimeo.com/58201809
This is great:

Roule Toujours - English subtitles

Last edited by DiabloScott; 02-26-20 at 01:29 PM.
Likes For DiabloScott:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.