Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Fully exposed climbs in the Bay Area

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-20, 08:50 AM
Cursive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks
i’m training for a hot weather ride and need to find an uninterrupted climb that’s at least 1500ft and fully exposed in the blazing sun.

My plan is to go to Diablo, but do you have any recommendations in Marin? Could be tarmac or off road

Thanks!
Old 02-19-20, 05:39 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
following
Old 02-19-20, 05:42 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
did you see this thread ?

Mt Diablo first timer

https://www.bikeforums.net/northern-...rst-timer.html
Old 02-19-20, 09:36 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Mount Tam on the Fairfax-Bolinas Road then turning south on Ridgecrest then left again on Panoramic to the summit is pretty exposed but with some shady parts. Not as exposed as Diablo though.

Mount Hamilton from the east is an epic and very exposed road. However, it's a very long ride. I generally start at Pleasanton BART and ride Mines Road to The Junction and then west on San Antonio Valley Road. Once you get to the top, it's a great descent into San Jose, then you have to either continue back to Pleasanton (over 100 mile loop) or catch BART from Warm Springs (still about a 70 mile ride). This is a hard ride, any way you slice it.
Old 02-19-20, 10:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Hey, this is a family forum!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-20-20, 03:49 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
If you're willing to go to Marin, Cavedale in Sonoma is a tough one. 1,900ft, and very exposed.

https://www.strava.com/segments/954038

If you continue over the top and descend Trinity Road into Napa, there's climbs like Mt Veeder and Oakville Grade too. Veeder is shaded, but Oakville Grade westbound is shortish, very steep, with no tree cover. The Sonoma side of Trinity is pretty exposed too.
Old 02-20-20, 11:27 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Cursive
Hi folks
i’m training for a hot weather ride and need to find an uninterrupted climb that’s at least 1500ft and fully exposed in the blazing sun.

My plan is to go to Diablo, but do you have any recommendations in Marin? Could be tarmac or off road

Thanks!
South Gate Road has a lot more shade than North - Summit Road has a few longer shady sections like in the Blue Oak area. I advise North Gate repeats in the late afternoons.
And when it's hot, it's hot, full sun or not...it's going to be a while before that happens though...

Bonus: The poppies are blooming!
Old 02-21-20, 04:22 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
South Gate Road has a lot more shade than North - Summit Road has a few longer shady sections like in the Blue Oak area. I advise North Gate repeats in the late afternoons.
And when it's hot, it's hot, full sun or not...it's going to be a while before that happens though...

Bonus: The poppies are blooming!
Seems to me that the South Gate of Diablo is only shady at the very bottom. But I haven't been up there for a year or two. Going down the North Gate BE CAREFUL of large cracks in the asphalt. I was having some physical therapy for some reason or other and the Dr. was a cyclist. Turns out that he was descending the North Gate with a friend who caught his wheel in a crack and went down breaking his neck and becoming a quadriplegic. The odd thing is that I had gone down that way just two weeks after that, caught my wheel in the same crack and just rode it out. As I was about to go down I hit the end of the crack, popped out and caught my balance. The moral of that story is that wider softer tires have advantages over thinner higher pressure tires.
Old 02-21-20, 05:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I went up North Gate one afternoon last summer and it was brutal.
Old 02-23-20, 10:21 AM
BenRidin
Come on, it'll be fun

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The climb up Morgan Territory Rd from the south is exposed and a wee bit steep. Very challenging in the heat. An alternative to Hamilton would be an up and over and back again from the west side.
Old 02-24-20, 11:24 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I don't know enough about the routes in and around Tam, but I'm sure you can put together quite a ride that is exposed, and a mix of pavement and gravel. Won't necessarily be hot though.