Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Bora One Carbon Clinchers Splitting Aluminium Nipples

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 11:30 PM
darren murray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone had the below problem as I have searched the internet and could not find any posts?
I have a set of Campagnolo Bora One Carbon Clinchers. This is the second set I have had as the first set was replaced under warranty with the same problem of the aluminium nipples splitting. The aluminium nipples have again developed splits in them on the replacement wheels. This time wheels are about 2 yrs and 3 months old so out of warranty. Has anybody ever had this problem. Thanks. Darren

Last edited by darren murray; 02-20-20 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 11:42 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by darren murray
Has anyone had the below ...
I'm going to politely suggest that you will get more responses if you edit your post so that it isn't one giant paragraph.
Old 02-20-20, 11:55 PM
darren murray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'm going to politely suggest that you will get more responses if you edit your post so that it isn't one giant paragraph.
Noted. Much appreciated. Darren
Old 02-21-20, 12:27 AM
darren murray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Thanks for your second suggestion.
Old 02-21-20, 12:29 AM
darren murray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with less than 10 posts. I cannot read any private messages sent to me.
Old 02-21-20, 06:43 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
Can't speak to the wheelset specifically - but aluminum nipples are notorious for corrosion and stress fractures. Their cachet is light weight, but the trade off is extremely short lifespan. In my opinion, any bike with steel spokes should have brass nipples. Period. Even though Campagnolo has a reputation for quality, nothing changes the material properties of aluminum. It's garbage material for spoke nipples. If you have the experience, or know a good wheel builder, change them out.

The only aluminum nipples that I've never had break are Mavic Ksyrium SL's - but even with those, once the wheels get old enough they corrode and won't turn any longer, making truing adjustments a nightmare. Penetrating fluid, heat, and patience are the only solution at that point.
Old 02-21-20, 02:27 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by tgenec86

The only aluminum nipples that I've never had break are Mavic Ksyrium SL's - but even with those, once the wheels get old enough they corrode and won't turn any longer, making truing adjustments a nightmare. Penetrating fluid, heat, and patience are the only solution at that point.
I've never had problems with alloy nipples when I properly lubricated my spoke threads and nipple sockets with grease or zinc anti-seize, even after 8 Colorado winters plus some Bay Area showers.

OTOH, I wouldn't risk alloy nipples on a machine built wheel.
Old 02-21-20, 02:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
OP, I suggest you take these wheels to a good shop and have the alloy nipples replaced with brass nipples. You’ll basically be paying for a wheel build, which should be about $100, and the nipples will cost almost nothing.

Your wheels will end up being one or two ounces heavier, which will probably not keep you off of any podiums.
Old 02-29-20, 09:53 PM
darren murray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply much appreciated.
Old 02-29-20, 09:54 PM
darren murray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-29-20, 10:01 PM
darren murray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually did this and took my wheels to my local bike shop. I was informed the Campagnolo Bora One carbon wheels are very specific and you cannot buy after market nipples and spokes. I was informed by my local bike shop they can only source original campagnolo nipples and spokes. I was also told campagnolo do not do brass nipples for these wheels.

I am only going off the information of my bike shop so I assume they know what they are talking about as I am no expert hence me posting on the forum? Anyway it appears the spokes on my wheels are also seized onto the nipples and my bike shop broke 3 of them trying to get the nipples off.

End of story is a quote for $1000 Australian Dollars to replace nipples and spokes with the exact same ones that split. Suffice to say I am not paying $1000 to repair the wheels when my bike shop indicates the same thing will probably happen again.

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-01-20 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-02-20, 07:13 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
That does seem a lot of money. You haven't mentioned exactly where in Australia you are but I know from my sister that humidity in some parts there can be extremely high so I'm guessing that's likely what your problem is. Whatever you replace the Bora's with I would give them regular inspections and apply grease when necessary.
Old 03-02-20, 06:52 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Penetrating oil may be an appropriate precautionary measure.
Old 03-03-20, 03:43 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Penetrating oil may be an appropriate precautionary measure.
What he said. I remember when I was young penetrating oil was graphite based and truly horrible stuff to use. I bought some WD-40 branded penetrating oil just recently and it's nothing like what we had back then. Much more pleasant to work with and it won't leave black marks everywhere.