Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best Roof Rack?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Best Roof Rack?

Old 02-21-20, 02:18 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 525 Times in 277 Posts
Best Roof Rack?

I know this could go in a dif section but I figure that us old guys are more anal about quality than the kids.

So just wanting to know what you folks feel is the best kinda roof rack - the kind that clamps to the car factory rails or a totally independent assembly. I tend to think that the car factory stuff would be a bit wimpier than the total package kind. Cost is not really my consideration here but not losing the bikes is.
thanks
Charlie
Old 02-21-20, 02:40 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
You might want to look at a hitch mount rack instead. I think they're better which is why I had a hitch put on my honda civic.
Old 02-21-20, 02:46 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I've seen a number of "I remember when I did that" type stories about frontal impacts due to misjudged overhead clearance. I have one of those strappy racks for the back of my car, and if I were going to the trouble of attaching something more substantial, I would probably go with the hitch mount.
Old 02-21-20, 02:50 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
I know this could go in a dif section but I figure that us old guys are more anal about quality than the kids.

So just wanting to know what you folks feel is the best kinda roof rack - the kind that clamps to the car factory rails or a totally independent assembly. I tend to think that the car factory stuff would be a bit wimpier than the total package kind. Cost is not really my consideration here but not losing the bikes is.
thanks
Charlie
as always it depends. much of the euro car factory is made by thule so it is no different in quality than buying after market.

If you have roof rails you should use them, and you probably have to use them

I you have not used racks in years the new ones are very sophisticated....like using supplied special torque wrenches when mounting.

newer stuff is $$$ like $600 to 700 for cross bars and base for to fit an audi A4 the bike rack is extra

I have always been a Yakima fan, but have switched allegiances to thule as it was a way better fit for my car., but in reality I don't think you can go wrong with either

Old 02-21-20, 03:45 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
It totally depends on the car and whether you have rails already. For myself, we have an older Acura MDX with rails. I bought the attachments that allow you to clamp Yakima bars to the factory rails. This works great for me because there's way more available Yakima stuff than there is factory stuff.
Old 02-21-20, 03:55 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Pro and con to any rack.

I'm really pleased with my current set-up roof rack as can carry any type or style bike without wheel removal. Goes for all funky recumbent, to fat bike to tandem. Factory OEM likely supplied by one of the bigger and well known rack makers.

But, without the above mentioned, I also have a Sea Sucker Talon. Mine supposadly is USA made but I see identical product on ebay and made in China for half the price. Adapters for thru axles, etc. and accessories interchange as well.

Awesome for any vehicle, multi-vehicle owners, compact rental car and if you don't want a mucked up mountain bike transported in the interior or boot. Quick on/off, not much to fuss with. Security is a big neg but use with good judgement. Freaky at first use and at higher Interstate speeds. Overall, I'm impressed.
Old 02-21-20, 04:30 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I had a Thule 2-bike roof rack on my Passat. What bugged me more than anything was losing about 10% gas mileage - even empty (bikes didn't affect it much extra). I had the wind deflector - maybe that wasn't a good thing. I've not noticed such losses using a trunk rack - never had a hitch to compare.

The rack itself worked perfectly, no issues.
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 02-21-20, 04:35 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
I had a Thule 2-bike roof rack on my Passat. What bugged me more than anything was losing about 10% gas mileage - even empty (bikes didn't affect it much extra). I had the wind deflector - maybe that wasn't a good thing. I've not noticed such losses using a trunk rack - never had a hitch to compare..
That is a well documented problem with roof racks. Even bare bars left on the roof significantly impact gas mileage, especially on small cars. Don't get me started on rooftop boxes...might as well put a barn door on the roof. I'm amazed how many folks leave these mileage destroyers on the roof 365 days a year.
Likes For davester:
Old 02-21-20, 04:57 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Been using my Yakima Forklifts on my oem cross bars since around 2011. Love them. The only problem I had was when one of the wheel straps gave up one day. Cheap to replace.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 02-21-20, 05:18 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 187 Posts

I put this roof rack together a few years ago in bits and pieces. Thule 47" Aero Blade load bars ($80 used), Exodus (European Thule brand) 480R feet ($80/all), three Rocky Mounts Jetline trays ($60 ea on sale in weird colors like orange), and the Fit Kit ($80). Rack comes off when not in use.

Pro: Aero design, doesn't cut into mileage too terribly. Trays are solid but the fork QR can be a bit fiddly. No worries about blocking visibility or the rear license plate as with a hitch or rear rack.

Con: Still cuts mileage. Odd whistling / howling noise with crosswinds from certain directions. The old garage problem. I keep my remote in the glovebox (instead of its normal place on the visor) to remind me not to drive in with bikes mounted.
Old 02-21-20, 05:24 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I had a Thule 2-bike roof rack on my Passat. What bugged me more than anything was losing about 10% gas mileage - even empty (bikes didn't affect it much extra). I had the wind deflector - maybe that wasn't a good thing. I've not noticed such losses using a trunk rack - never had a hitch to compare.

Been there ... done that. I have a 2001 Passat wagon with VW-branded bolt-on crossbars and Yakima bike racks. I hang the entire assembly from the rafters, directly over the Passat, for each installation and removal/storage. The main use I got out of them was for a family reunion about a 2-hour drive from home. I decided against bringing the bikes on a subsequent reunion 8 hours away because of the fuel consumption issue.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-21-20, 05:58 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts

Wind deflector is likely a good thing. If you have ever driven without one, you hear the difference. I have a Yakima rack that I mount as needed. I have used a rear/trunk rack. With bikes mounted, the impact was about the same AFA mieage.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 02-21-20, 06:01 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I have used Yakama roof racks and like their system. I have 3 bike holders that grab the down tube of the frame, a ski holder and have used it naked to transport a Sunfish sailboat and raw materials including steel tubing. With the old fashioned roof gutters, they were rock solid. The problem for me now is that the two cars that are insured have the newfangled no gutters roofs and the towers for the Yakama rack are car and even front and rear of the car specific. They cost $$$. So, now I bought a hitch and am planning on getting a hitch mount.

I prefer to keep the bikes on the roof. I don't know why, because I am old and that is the way you always do it. The only rational reason that I can come up with for roof mounting the bikes is that if I get rear ended, the bikes will be safe. One other thing is that I can access my trunk or cargo area without having to remove bikes or work around bikes.

My wife likes the hitch mount bike racks. She believes that once it is mounted on the car that she can put her bike on the car and drive to a bike path and ride. That in theory may be true. I will admit that there is no way she would do that with a roof rack. However, I don't think she will actually do it by herself, but at least she has the potential to do it.

I haven't bought a hitch mount rack yet, but I like the ones that have a tire tray rather than hanging the bike from the top tube. One of my wife's bikes is a mixte.
Old 02-21-20, 06:52 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,572 Times in 1,758 Posts
Another vote for a hitch rack. Much easier to work with, fender friendly, and can double as a work stand if necessary. Mine also hinges, so I can open the rear hatch without having to unload the bikes.

Old 02-21-20, 09:49 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I’ve been using roof racks on “no-gutter” car roofs for years. All have been Thule towers and the associated feet and hold-down clips that are designed specifically for that particular model/year car. I’m sure Yakima has similar feet and towers.

No, it’s not an inexpensive system, but they’ve also been strong enough to transport a pair of sea kayaks, 16.5-18’ long, at highway speeds without a problem. For those I DO use for and aft hold down cords also. I carried a pair of valuable road bikes on that roof rack on an Audi A3 from Seattle to Monterey for a multi-week vacation a few years ago and we didn’t drive slowly. Of course, roof racks cause a noticeable gas mileage hit.

I prefer the roof racks that grab the the front wheel dropouts, with the front wheel off. I’m always the bike loader, being the tall one.

My preferred solution, however, is to carry the bikes inside if luggage allows. But that wasn’t the question.
Old 02-22-20, 01:47 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
I've mentioned the Sea Sucker (or knockoff Chinese units) and should add bonus points for those concerned of fuel economy vs racks left on a vehicle. It only takes a simple task and minute to install or remove. Plus no clunkiness of not being used racks left on a vehicle or stored off the vehicle.

The entire apparatus is small and lighrweight to store anywhere and yet easy and fast for setup and usage. Pretty cool arrangement.

Good luck-
Old 02-22-20, 02:52 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,572 Times in 1,758 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
(...) I prefer the roof racks that grab the the front wheel dropouts, with the front wheel off. I’m always the bike loader, being the tall one.

My preferred solution, however, is to carry the bikes inside if luggage allows. But that wasn’t the question.
Racks that grab the front dropouts work best IMO, but not with fenders (unless you remove them). And if you're going to remove stuff you might as well put the bikes inside, if you have the space.

I often carry four bikes when traveling, two "event" bikes without fenders inside (with the wheels removed) and two touring bikes on the rack.

Old 02-22-20, 03:11 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I put Whispbars (T-slot crossbars) on my RAV4 hybrid factory rails, and 2 rockymount trays like in post number 10 (which I got on sale for a similar price but normal silver/grey color). My mileage doesn't take a hit unless I put bikes on them and am on the highway. I leave the racks in place. The factory rails are rock-solid.

I also put a 2" hitch on the back and got a Kuat rack for that. It bottoms out a lot, and has been hit, twice, so it is a bit bent out of shape now. Fortunately not while bikes were in it. You also take much less of a mileage hit with bikes on the back, and of course loading is much easier. They are however more vulnerable to theft and to morons who are on the phone.
Old 02-27-20, 02:41 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 525 Times in 277 Posts
Thanks for all the info - I do appreciate it

so I was checking out ebay for what's around and came across this. Does it seem to have any particular advantage over other products?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Jeep-Wr...sAAOSwSqZdwZ4h

thanks again
Charlie
Old 02-27-20, 05:10 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Lol, I'd be wary of buying a product with a picture like that!
Old 02-27-20, 05:15 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts

I try to keep my bike inside the car for the most part. better for both the bike and the car
Interesting that the car seems to have suffered worse damage than the bike
Old 02-27-20, 05:20 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Lol, I'd be wary of buying a product with a picture like that!
Me too, I prefer to be clear about what I am buying
Old 02-27-20, 06:06 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
You might want to look at a hitch mount rack instead. I think they're better which is why I had a hitch put on my honda civic.
Agreed, but we don't own a car with a roof, so I'm biased. Hence, rear-mount racks on the Honda S2000 and Porsche Boxster. YMMV!

Easier on the back, too, regardless of how light the bikes are. That said, someone -- somewhere -- has been rear-ended taking out the car AND the bike(s).

Old 02-27-20, 08:26 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
That said, someone -- somewhere -- has been rear-ended taking out the car AND the bike(s).
On the way home, after I got out of the Army- I got rear ended on the freeway by some old guy in a Cadillac. There didn't seem to be much damage to my bike, it wasn't til I got home that I realized he'd bent the ever loving' **** out of my crank and chainrings.

I got a hitch mounted rack and a hitch installed on my car. I haven't gotten the opportunity to use them yet.

The hitch bar and install was about half the price of the rack. The rack is a fancy pants Saris (no pix yet).

Hitch 1 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-28-20, 07:08 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I got a hitch mounted rack and a hitch installed on my car. I haven't gotten the opportunity to use them yet. The hitch bar and install was about half the price of the rack. The rack is a fancy pants Saris (no pix yet).
I do think we've come a long way since the 1970's, for instance, when the only options were racks strapped to the car's deck lid. I'd be somewhat surprised if anyone collected C&V racks!

And, of course, a hitch to mount the rack on means you also have the capability to tow, if needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.