Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

eurovelo and wind directions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-23, 12:50 PM
Rob63

Bikes: Miyata 1000 and 615gt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi everyone
I'm planning months long ride through Europe next Spring and am looking over eurovelo websites but am having a hard time finding some important info. When desribing these routes, Eurovelo has a start and finish cities for their routes, so it appears they recommend only one direction - is this so? If yes, Is this because of prevailing winds? Or simply because when mapping it you have to start somewhere?
Old 07-29-23, 01:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
I have no idea how they set up the routes.

My favorite site to go to when researching weather for a bike tour is this one:
https://weatherspark.com/

You can input a location city, preferably where there is an airport nearby for better historical data, and it gives you a lot of good information on wind directions at different times of year, probability of precipitation, average wind strength, etc.
Old 07-29-23, 07:28 PM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob63
Hi everyone
I'm planning months long ride through Europe next Spring and am looking over eurovelo websites but am having a hard time finding some important info. When desribing these routes, Eurovelo has a start and finish cities for their routes, so it appears they recommend only one direction - is this so? If yes, Is this because of prevailing winds? Or simply because when mapping it you have to start somewhere?
Eurovelo routes are not unidirectional in fact or implied. If you're interested in wind directions you can consult www.windy.com
Old 07-30-23, 03:36 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
I think the EV routes are just generally mapped out North to South, or West to East.

I doubt if this had anything to do with typical wind patterns, but coincidentally it does, especially the closer to the Atlantic you are.

I wouldn’t see this as a “recommendation” from EV as such.

Best riding weather, in my opinion for western europe, would be starting in the south in may (Greece), june (Italy, Spain, France), july/august (Germany, Scandinavia), september (France, Spain, Italy, Portugal).

As a secondary consideration, given the choice, I would prefer riding eastwards across France for example, because of the wind.

June and September are my favourite months, before and after the crowded and expensive holiday high season.
July and August can also be brutally hot in Southern Europe as can be seen at the moment.

All that said, I’ll be off on the 17th august riding from Mulhouse, France, down the Rhône to the Mediterranean, then over to Portugal. It may well be very hot in France and Spain indeed. September in Portugal should be great.

Last edited by imi; 07-30-23 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-30-23, 02:44 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by gerryl
... If you're interested in wind directions you can consult www.windy.com
That is a great website. Thanks for posting.