Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rigid Fork vs Susp Fork on Road/Light Trail Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rigid Fork vs Susp Fork on Road/Light Trail Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 11:00 AM
MikeDeason

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
No Ebike thanks. I commute and recreational light trail weekends for fitness. I sit in my azz all day at work.

this bike is going to motivate me to do more pumping, not less
Likes For MikeDeason:
Old 04-19-24, 11:12 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
No Ebike thanks. I commute and recreational light trail weekends for fitness. I sit in my azz all day at work.

And there we have about the best explanation possible for this purchase.
Old 04-19-24, 06:53 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 525 Times in 351 Posts

Well put! That's a statement I can get behind
Old 04-19-24, 06:55 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by badger1
On the aesthetic question, I've always used flat bars (riser for mtb; narrow/flat with bar ends for road riding) and have never thought of them as ugly! Now that I think of it, I can also report that after 10s of thousands of kilometres my arms have yet to fall off; one would think they would have by now given some of the theorizing here on teh Biek Formz.

I think my bike is quite 'pretty' and well-suited to this old b_gg_r's riding ... but that's just me.
Your bike is not my cup of tea, but you're absolutely correct in stating it looks good. The color, the smooth lines. Sweet looking ride!
Old 04-19-24, 07:19 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Yes. My current commuter has the Thudbuster ST. Huge difference in ride quality. I plan on getting the LT for this bike. Just thought the light susp fork might be worth the weight trade off to help
smooth out speed bumps and larger imperfections in the road but I believe I have been convinced otherwise.

Besides the Thudbuster line, CaneCreek makes an eeSilk handlebar stem that works wonders on our San Diego "roads".

https://canecreek.com/product/eesilk-stem/
Old 04-20-24, 02:26 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 175 Posts

Will add that if one's commute is filled with rainbows and kittens and lacks death-dispensing distracted drivers, suffering from oxygen starvation way up in their jacked-up pickups, then a leisurely commute is a perfect tonic for beginning and ending a day deskbound. No question.

However, in the second scenario the bike commuter's top priority is minimizing the time spent in traffic, for which an ebike slices precious minutes of exposure 2X/day. Win-win. (With a boost type bike one can have the same workout, that much I've figured out.)
Old 04-20-24, 02:32 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 277 Posts
A double suspension BSO from Walmart is going to motivate me to do more pumping.

Just think of the workout I'll get from fifty pounds and a Falcon derailleur.
Old 04-20-24, 04:54 PM
MikeDeason

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Whatever gets you riding. I may be totally off on a tangent but my impression is that e-bikes are simply a means to get from a to b with less effort than a mechanical bicycle. A car does that even better and I have a car.

While I may curse hitting a red light, relying on a battery to get going again defeats the objective of my commutes. Striving for the best possible mechanical experience however, does not. Just upgrading my crappy 25yr old hybrid has got me out on more recreational rides and more challenging commuting routes.

Last edited by MikeDeason; 04-20-24 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-20-24, 05:54 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by soyabean
A double suspension BSO from Walmart is going to motivate me to do more pumping.

Just think of the workout I'll get from fifty pounds and a Falcon derailleur.
Don't forget about all the experience you'll gain from constantly working on it too. Win-Win
Old 04-20-24, 06:01 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 107 Posts
MikeDeason , read what Jan Heine has to say about modern bikes and suspension. https://www.renehersecycles.com/pari...or-everything/

As I've said before, really all you need are good fat tires. Suspension is unnecessary unless you're humping roots and rocks.
Old 04-20-24, 11:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7654 Post(s)
Liked 3,493 Times in 1,843 Posts
Suspension is unnecessary ... but then, bikes in general are not necessary.

As for e-assist---the point is not to lessen effort all the time, but to lessen effort or increase speed when one chooses.

I did a group ride today with a guy on one of those Dutch (? Certainly European) cargo bikes with a box in front of the rider and a tiny 20" (as opposed to a normal 20"??) wheel way out front. (I guess he had lived in a lot of European countries where using bikes for almost all transport was possible and even sensible.)

He had an e-assist, because his bike weighed a cubic ton compared to most, and was designed to carry his two kids, or a week's groceries, or whatever .... it didn't make him ride less, but it made the worst part of his rides a little better.

Nothing wrong with e-assist, or with not wanting e-assist, but no sense is forming a mistaken impression of what it is or what it does.

I spent a very long time car-free, and there were certainly days when a little help would have been appreciated---and that was when I was in fantastic shape ... sure, you Can just nail the throttle and drain the battery ... you can also use it for a little boost on a hill start or on a day when the legs are hurting.

I can see that if I ride long enough, I might need e-assist to keep up with some groups, or to help if I hit really big hills. If e-assist keeps me riding another several years late in life,, bring it on.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-21-24, 02:24 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 318 Posts
Everyone has a different definition of "commuting" so the only thing I'll contribute is that back in the day I rode a front suspension hardtail mountain bike on the streets of San Francisco (lots of rough pavement) and it was a lot of fun. The other folks on the ride had road bikes with skinny tires (these were the 23mm tire days) and they were sketched out by the potholes and train tracks whereas I was super confident and hitting everything without needing to scrub speed. On paper the front shocks are overkill but I just remember it being super plush hopping curbs, rolling over potholes, etc. RS SIDs 100mm on 26x2.0 tires, IIRC.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 04-21-24, 02:40 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked 4,901 Times in 3,033 Posts
I think this bike will work pretty well for commuting and certainly for light trail riding. But to end up with a $9k XC race bike just to get SRAM AXS and a flat bar is absolutely nuts! But at least it will be a very nice bike.
Old 04-21-24, 11:17 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Everyone has a different definition of "commuting" so the only thing I'll contribute is that back in the day I rode a front suspension hardtail mountain bike on the streets of San Francisco (lots of rough pavement) and it was a lot of fun. The other folks on the ride had road bikes with skinny tires (these were the 23mm tire days) and they were sketched out by the potholes and train tracks whereas I was super confident and hitting everything without needing to scrub speed. On paper the front shocks are overkill but I just remember it being super plush hopping curbs, rolling over potholes, etc. RS SIDs 100mm on 26x2.0 tires, IIRC.
Similar. Before getting my belt bike I commuted a hard-tail mtn bike, which handles dubious pavement, light rail tracks, wet striping, etc. with none of the beating one takes on a standard road bike (the bike itself taking less of a beating as well).

Funny how, presuming a relatively short commute of a few miles, one learns every pavement quirk on the route, plus those intersections where folks tend to blow though the stop. Whee!
Old 04-22-24, 08:39 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 203 Posts
Whatever gets you riding. I may be totally off on a tangent but my impression is that e-bikes are simply a means to get from a to b with less effort than a mechanical bicycle.
An eBike is what you make of it. There are a TON of use cases for them, and the one you mentioned ↑ is just one. Other examples:
  • Get people with bad knees riding again. For them, the choice is no biking or eBiking.
  • Arriving at the destination not sweaty in the summer
  • For a lot of local trips, people take a car because they don't want the effort riding. For example, a lunchtime errand, light grocery run, commuting. We bicycle commuters are a special breed of course, but regular people would be more likely to ride if it wasn't so much effort. (esp. uphill or into headwinds) It can take a lot of the pain out of cycling, while leaving all the pleasant parts.
  • My riding today is a prime example:
    • I took the eBike to work today. I rode in unpowered this morning for a bit of exercise. (2 easy miles, but not as easy as you might think, since the bike weighs 70 lbs!)
    • I have a lunchtime appointment across town 5 miles away. It's uphill most of the way there. For this, I will use Level 1 electric assistance, so as not to take too much time or get sweaty; I still have to work the rest of the day. My pulse will still be 130-140, so not letting the motor do all the work even here, while going 15-20 mph going uphill. Lunchtime is too limited to go 8-10 mph for this trip. I may go unpowered on the way back to work.
    • For my commute home, I'll probably use Level 1 power again, as it's overall uphill and I will be joining the faster club road ride of the week tonight and want to save my legs for that. (~ 27 miles)

A car does that even better and I have a car.
Not always, especially in congested city areas or short trips. My commute to work is 2 miles, and even my CR-V hybrid, which is rated for 40 mpg in the city only gets maybe 17 on that short of a ride. The eBike is a no-brainer here and in any similar ride. I calculated that a $2k eBike pays for itself in gas savings alone in 4 years' time.

While I may curse hitting a red light, relying on a battery to get going again defeats the objective of my commutes. Striving for the best possible mechanical experience however, does not. Just upgrading my crappy 25yr old hybrid has got me out on more recreational rides and more challenging commuting routes.
Well, you might find you don't like sitting in your sweat all day after that commute, when the honeymoon wears off. Time will tell! Maybe I'm in worse shape than I think, but when I have to climb hills, I sweat no matter what, once the weather gets warmer. Even in low gears, it's real work.
Old 04-22-24, 09:39 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

I don't have a problem with E-bikes. I know they serve a purpose. It's all the uneducated salmon riding them. Most people on them have never ridden a bike and have no clue what cycling etiquette is. Everyone should know you don't ride motorized vehicles on the sidewalk, forcing pedestrians into the road. Or young kids doing spin-outs in the wet grass in front of a memorial, turning it into mud. I could go on, but why? Okay, got that out of my system. what a beautiful day. Think I'll go for a ride
Old 04-22-24, 10:16 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,326 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Besides the Thudbuster line, CaneCreek makes an eeSilk handlebar stem that works wonders on our San Diego "roads".

https://canecreek.com/product/eesilk-stem/
That eeSilk is pretty cool. I hadn’t seen that before.

The lockout is a nice feature for smooth surfaces.

John
Old 04-22-24, 12:10 PM
Rick_D

Our rental bike fleet (think Jump Bike, Lime) have vanished, leaving a cloud of rental e-scooters behind. I suspect the common perception of an e-bike is one of those, ridden by tourists and Friday night bar hoppers.

Newer on the scene are privately owned Big Boy throttle bikes that I suspect mostly fall under the DMV moped category, and not Cat 1, 2 or 3 ebikes. Yet are operated as bikes in bike-specific places. Fad? Too soon to know but an 80-pound thing blasting along at 30 is a different sort of "fun" to contend with. Sound system pondered separately.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 04-22-24, 12:14 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 399 Posts
They annoy me too, but there must be at least 100 other “let’s complain about irresponsible e-bike riders” threads on here, so maybe this thread should stay on topic.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-23-24, 05:36 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7654 Post(s)
Liked 3,493 Times in 1,843 Posts
Bad road users abound, on foot, scooter, skateboard, bike, e-bike, moped, motorcycle, car, truck .... anything I forgot? The idiot is an idiot on any conveyance.

Who prefers an idiot in a car to an idiot on an e-bike?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-23-24, 06:39 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Bad road users abound, on foot, scooter, skateboard, bike, e-bike, moped, motorcycle, car, truck .... anything I forgot? The idiot is an idiot on any conveyance.

Who prefers an idiot in a car to an idiot on an e-bike?
I guess I expect an idiot in a car. I'm disappointed by the idiot on the bike. I expect the 2-wheeled idiot to know better. My bad.
Old 04-25-24, 11:47 AM
Rick_D

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I guess I expect an idiot in a car. I'm disappointed by the idiot on the bike. I expect the 2-wheeled idiot to know better. My bad.
Now that it's spring, the vast majority of cyclists are folks who are not enthusiasts, having extracted their bikes from the back of the garage for the first time since September and finally locating the pump. Unless you live in Netherlands or somesuch. Just how things are.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 04-25-24, 11:49 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3688 Post(s)
Liked 5,485 Times in 2,783 Posts
What's the ETA for the new bike?
Old 04-25-24, 03:49 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 982 Times in 652 Posts
I am using this 32 years old 1992 Giant Tourer Hybrid with Schwalbe Marathon 700*35 tires, Mavic,A 719 rims and XT 780T transmission and it has its rigid fork which is more than plentyful for any gravelly and bumpy road even cracked pavement
Likes For georges1: