Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 01:59 AM
Crewchief911

Bikes: Cannondale SR400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling kit

Anyone ever order jerseys and shorts from Chinese companies? How much size difference between their suzes and US sizes?
Old 03-21-18, 08:21 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
The 'original' brands on Aliexpress are much better quality than the knock off/replicas there. I have jerseys and tights from Monton, would recommend, very high quality. Also like Santic, Paladin and Cheji. Been meaning to try Racmmers jerseys as I love the designs, heard good things of these too.
Old 03-21-18, 08:25 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sizing is way off. I'm a 2xl in shirts; a 4xl in some brands won't zip. The other name I remember right now is Spotti, and a 3XL was fine for me.
Old 03-21-18, 09:16 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Crewchief911
Anyone ever order jerseys and shorts from Chinese companies? How much size difference between their suzes and US sizes?
The way the question is asked...honestly no one can give you an informative answer.

Every company everywhere has different sizes. US companies don't agree. Take Aerotech that fits really large for a given label size, versus Voler that fits normal to small depending on the tier... Voler for example have even taken to offering "club" and "race" fit categories due to how widely body structure in the USA varies....some people want skin-tight, others want flappy-flappy, others still are clydes and big folks. Both Aerotech and Voler are US companies BTW.

The AliExpress goods I've purchased are generally similar to a "race fit" sizing of some companies in the USA. Generally. But again, if you're used to a race-fit cut you'd be right at home. If you're used to a relaxed Aerotech cut-you're going to have problems squeezing in.
Old 03-21-18, 09:22 AM
bigsky109

Bikes: Kestrel Talon w/carbon fiber 88mm wheelset, Trek 820MTB

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been buying ZERO BIKE clothes on Amazon. I like them since they are cheap and I know my size. I have a 32 inch waist and shorts are a large. The Jerseys I buy are XL....I am 6.1ft and around 190lbs. Maybe that will help? Shorts and Jerseys are really cheap and comfortable. Name brands are way out of my price range, rather spend money on the bike....
Old 03-21-18, 09:23 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
read reviews and feedback if there is any
Old 03-21-18, 12:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,010 Times in 2,677 Posts
I prefer to try my clothes on before purchase generally so I stick to my local shop. Billionaire Jeff Bezos doesn't need my money and I don't really have an interest in giving it to places like Alibaba or any of his 40 thieves.
Old 03-21-18, 12:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Alibaba was the good guy.
Fair enough but there was a bad joke to be made and I wasn't going to give up on it! I still would rather try clothes on before I buy. I bought a pair of pants on the internet and they turned out way long even though I order the right inseam.
Old 03-21-18, 01:04 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I'd rather try on first as well. However, what is available in the LBS isn't exactly what the OP was asking about. Me? I'd prefer to buy local but I'm too cheap to pay $80 or more for a jersey so I do buy the cheap-o stuff from Amazon which is mostly Chinese made or sometimes Nashbar closeouts, which are probably Chinese as well. I'd rather buy 4, $20 jerseys and they will typically last 2 or 3 seasons of riding.

Most of the stuff from Amazon I have to buy 2XL as they are typically undersized(I'd usually wear a L)
With Nashbar stuff, I usually wear their XL.
FWIW, I'm 6'2", most pants 34/34", and around 200lbs.

Cheap chinese padded Lycra shorts on the other hand....nope.
Old 03-21-18, 01:11 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Fair enough but there was a bad joke to be made and I wasn't going to give up on it! I still would rather try clothes on before I buy. I bought a pair of pants on the internet and they turned out way long even though I order the right inseam.
Nothing to add but I respect the commitment to the dad joke.
Old 03-21-18, 01:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by ksryder
Nothing to add but I respect the commitment to the dad joke.
Thank you, for recognizing true comedy.

Q: Want to here a joke about construction?
A: I'm still working on it

and now for something really edgy:

Q: What do you get when you cross a current American president with a former leader of Rome?
A: Orange Julius

Thank you thank you, I will be here till Thursday! You've been an excellent audience
Old 03-21-18, 01:40 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
They are chinese sized? And the euro stuff is for skinny racers. Maybe go to a store and see what fit and buy them? Rei works for me.
Old 03-21-18, 01:48 PM
Crewchief911

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=bigsky109;20236691]I have been buying ZERO BIKE clothes on Amazon. I like them since they are cheap and I know my size. I have a 32 inch waist and shorts are a large. The Jerseys I buy are XL....I am 6.1ft and around 190lbs. Maybe that will help? Shorts and Jerseys are really cheap and comfortable. Name brands are way out of my price range, rather spend money on the bike....[/QUOTE

Thanks! You and I are almost exactly the same size. I used to be 6'1" but lost about an inch somewhere, and weighed 187 pounds yesterday. I will check out ZERO BIKE.
Old 03-21-18, 01:53 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I weigh anywhere between 190 and 200lb depending if I pass a buffet or not. I am 6' 36" waist and wear a large in specialized kit. I bought a couple jerseys and bibshorts from china, the jerseys and bibs are XXL and fit great (the jersey is a bit long and a little loose). The chamois is HORRIBLE in the shorts so I sewed in the one from an old pair of castelli shorts. I think I like the fit better than the castelli shorts. All in all 2 full kits were worth the $50 CDN delivered.
Old 03-21-18, 01:57 PM
Crewchief911

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
The way the question is asked...honestly no one can give you an informative answer.

Every company everywhere has different sizes. US companies don't agree. Take Aerotech that fits really large for a given label size, versus Voler that fits normal to small depending on the tier... Voler for example have even taken to offering "club" and "race" fit categories due to how widely body structure in the USA varies....some people want skin-tight, others want flappy-flappy, others still are clydes and big folks. Both Aerotech and Voler are US companies BTW.

The AliExpress goods I've purchased are generally similar to a "race fit" sizing of some companies in the USA. Generally. But again, if you're used to a race-fit cut you'd be right at home. If you're used to a relaxed Aerotech cut-you're going to have problems squeezing in.
The reason I am asking is that I got a jersey as a gift from a friend. I love the design but it was almost impossible to zip, and was a size 2xl. The friend said he got it off ebay and it was from a company in Hong Kong. I looked on ebay and found there are a number of Chinese companies, some from Hong Kong and others I presume are from Taiwan. I just wondered if the fit of their stuff varied from seller to seller.
Old 03-21-18, 03:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
No problems, but I'm a very average size, probably the median at 5'10"-5'11" (I think I've shrunk a bit with age), 160 lbs. Torso and arms slightly longer than average, but not enough to matter with most off the rack clothing.

I buy medium in most Chinese brand cycling apparel (not Chinese made for other manufacturers). So far, so good, with Baleef shorts, Koraman long sleeve jersey. Only problem with the Koraman long sleeve jersey was the thumbhole placement, not the sleeve length. I use elastic ponytail bands to secure the thumbholes now. Easier than altering the stitching.

The only item I've purchased larger than my usual nominal size is a cool weather cycling jersey/jacket made in Pakistan. The vendor very explicitly recommended buying a size larger. The large fits me perfectly. Great buy for only $12.
Old 03-21-18, 04:45 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
ordering online is hard. I read reviews and sizing charts, but its still hit or miss. I've had the best luck at REI and LBS and I usually buy off the clearance rack.
Old 03-21-18, 04:58 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I've been using Nashbar for decades, good sizing charts, never had to return any clothing. KB.
Old 03-21-18, 05:26 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,921 Posts
Go with whom has the best return policy & is most affordable.

Surprised after all these years the chinese can't make clothes fit right... especially when they stare very hard at tings.
Old 03-21-18, 05:46 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by Troul
Go with whom has the best return policy & is most affordable.

Surprised after all these years the chinese can't make clothes fit right... especially when they stare very hard at tings.
Welcome to the world of fitted fashion....everyone has different dimensions, and not every brand fits everyone.

Nothing to do with competence and "can't make things fit right"....your body type isn't the demographic they were sewing for.
Old 03-21-18, 06:53 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I havw baleaf stuff , fits normal..
Old 03-22-18, 05:55 AM
Cyclist0084

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by bigsky109
i have been buying zero bike clothes on amazon. I like them since they are cheap and i know my size. I have a 32 inch waist and shorts are a large. The jerseys i buy are xl....i am 6.1ft and around 190lbs. Maybe that will help? Shorts and jerseys are really cheap and comfortable. Name brands are way out of my price range, rather spend money on the bike....
+1

Old 03-22-18, 10:22 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've been looking at some jerseys on Amazon but have been hesitant to pull the trigger and buy any yet. Even reading the reviews it's hard to tell if you'll get a good fit or not, because one person will say that they ordered the size they needed and it fit great, then someone else will say they ordered two sizes up and it was too small. Possibly poor quality control at the factory, but still hard to tell if you'll get something that fits. At any rate, with me being a Clyde and wearing a 2X T-shirt, I want to lose another 15-20 lbs. and get to where I can comfortably fit a 1X T-shirt before I buy any Chinese cycling jerseys since most reviews say that the sizes run one or two sizes small.
Old 03-22-18, 10:30 AM
Crewchief911

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Welcome to the world of fitted fashion....everyone has different dimensions, and not every brand fits everyone.

Nothing to do with competence and "can't make things fit right"....your body type isn't the demographic they were sewing for.
That may be, but should there be such a disparity in sizes? I would think by now they'd have a better idea of US sizes. I would also tend to believe that our demographics fit a large part of their customer base, but maybe not...
Old 03-22-18, 10:51 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by Crewchief911
That may be, but should there be such a disparity in sizes? I would think by now they'd have a better idea of US sizes. I would also tend to believe that our demographics fit a large part of their customer base, but maybe not...
Shortest answer. Yes. Ask anyone of the lady persuasion about size variations in clothes sometime. Men tend to never see it or experience it (unless they're at the extremes of height or weight).

They're "saving money" and have one pattern set and going to town producing it. Catch being, the pattern set they're using is not USA centric.

You're talking about fitted clothing and populations of extreme differences in body type. Here in the USA you have an obesity epidemic and people ranging on average from medium-tall to skyscraper....whereas you go to places where most clothes are actually made (China, SE Asia, and so on), and people tend to not only not be as tall but there's not so much of an obesity epidemic. Not only is there the height/girth difference, but also leg/torso proportionality variances.

Combine with tight-fitting technical garb, and those differences come to the fore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.