Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXI

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXI

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 10:12 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
We usually want to wean down to low dose (say <10mg) as quickly as we can, the higher doses cause all kinds of problems.
My poor Moose started chewing rocks amongst other reactions.
Old 07-17-18, 10:19 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28629 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
In that case I would guess 60 is too much. Just a guess.
She said he had to take that much just to be able to walk.
Old 07-17-18, 10:26 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
No, I mean everyday maintenance. Not a taper down.

Right now I'm running 15-20. I wish it was 0, but you got to do what you got to do to function.

What I'm wondering is were this level would rank in the vast universe of patients? Moderately high? I don't have a good sense of how much it is used. Just my own experience.
Rank is probably medium to high. I have seen higher. Try to wean down if you can.
Old 07-17-18, 10:27 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by topslop1
Clearing myself for a trainer - sister back in New England wants to Zwift with me on a trainer.

I've got a T669C Kinetic trainer, a computer, and a bicycle. What all else do I need to get on the Zwifty with the sister? Lowest cost available please.
Looks like you have a Kinetic road machine. Zwift has a curve for that trainer, so you won't need a new one.
You will need an ANT+ wheel speed sensor for your rear wheel and an ANT+dongle for your Computer. Dongle
You may need a USB extension cable to get the dongle closer to the bike. And the Zwift software on your computer.
Old 07-17-18, 10:40 AM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
More important question is whether the website it working at all. Wasn't really yesterday when I tried.
It seems they are using this to try and clear out a lot of stuff no one wants to buy. I looked yesterday and earlier this morning and found nothing of interest. Previous years were not like this. Probably my last Prime Day, as I plan to cancel prime later this year. They can go pound sand with their 20% increase in the cost.
Old 07-17-18, 10:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
Probably my last Prime Day, as I plan to cancel prime later this year. They can go pound sand with their 20% increase in the cost.
I usually don't buy a lot of stuff, but I got Prime because there was a period when I needed to get a bunch of stuff quickly. Just never got around to cancelling it. Then Whole Foods was running special deal on fresh sockeye for Prime members. At first it was $6 off/lb. Then it was 10% off. I am sure I saved enough in June and July to cover the cost of the membership. But now that deal has ended. WF still gives 10% off some stuff for Prime members, but looking around it's not the sort of stuff I usually eat, so I will probably cancel it. I can always re-enroll if I see something I want that's a good deal with free shipping.
Old 07-17-18, 10:52 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
It seems they are using this to try and clear out a lot of stuff no one wants to buy. I looked yesterday and earlier this morning and found nothing of interest. Previous years were not like this. Probably my last Prime Day, as I plan to cancel prime later this year. They can go pound sand with their 20% increase in the cost.
That's how all the previous years looked to me. Or at best, much like Black Friday: one or two amazing, low-quantity deals and a huge pile of crap.
Old 07-17-18, 11:06 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
The price increase is annoying, but we still easily save the cost of the subscription on shipping and then some, plus we use the streaming video service pretty frequently so Bezos has my money for the long haul.
Old 07-17-18, 12:31 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack

Nice racing @LAJ.

Im hearing Ex and @sarals picked up some pretty good bling at track nats. Silver for Ex in team pursuit and @sarals two silver and a bronze over three days- silvers in team and indiv sprint.. Bronze, I think maybe in indiv pursuit.
I'm home from Masters Track Nats at Trexlertown (Valley Preferred Cycling Center Velodrome). I raced well because @Heathpack gave me some cool socks to race in!

My results? Bronze in the 500 M TT. All three of the podium finishers, the top three, were 1/2 second apart. I rode a 43.7, silver (who is the current world record holder in the event) rode a 43.6, and gold rode a 43.1. Not bad for three gals over 66 y/o! I won silver in the match sprints, beating the World Champion in one match, but she came back and beat me in two matches for the gold (it's best of three). I got silver in the 2K individual pursuit. My team mate and I took silver in the Team Sprint, loosing by only 1 1/2 seconds to a team that was ten and twenty-two years younger than us (my team mate is 78, I'm 66). We rode a 58.2 to their 56.7. Our ride was ridden in world and national record time (for 65+ women on a 333 meter track), but due to some snafus on our part, it wasn't recorded as such.

Quite a week!
Old 07-17-18, 12:49 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by sarals
I'm home from Masters Track Nats at Trexlertown (Valley Preferred Cycling Center Velodrome). I raced well because @Heathpack gave me some cool socks to race in!

My results? Bronze in the 500 M TT. All three of the podium finishers, the top three, were 1/2 second apart. I rode a 43.7, silver (who is the current world record holder in the event) rode a 43.6, and gold rode a 43.1. Not bad for three gals over 66 y/o! I won silver in the match sprints, beating the World Champion in one match, but she came back and beat me in two matches for the gold (it's best of three). I got silver in the 2K individual pursuit. My team mate and I took silver in the Team Sprint, loosing by only 1 1/2 seconds to a team that was ten and twenty-two years younger than us (my team mate is 78, I'm 66). We rode a 58.2 to their 56.7. Our ride was ridden in world and national record time (for 65+ women on a 333 meter track), but due to some snafus on our part, it wasn't recorded as such.

Quite a week!

Have you been around this thread before? I don't recognize your name. Great to have some new names around.
Old 07-17-18, 01:05 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Quite a week!
Kudos!
Old 07-17-18, 01:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quite a week!
Kudos!

That is the closest velodrome to me, and I would consider trying some track riding, but given my body type I don't think I would do well.
Old 07-17-18, 01:22 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts

Quite a week!
Well done.

I of course take all the credit, on account of the socks.

Old 07-17-18, 01:24 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

@sarals and I work with the same coach; we both used to frequently post in the Masters Racing forum, as did @LAJ. So we all "know" each other from there, and real life.

No one posts in the Masters Racing forum anymore, which is why I mentioned the results to @LAJ here. It was very impressive stuff and I thought he might be interested.
Old 07-17-18, 01:26 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts

Quite a week!

It's gotta be the socks, man!
Old 07-17-18, 01:27 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Speaking of track.

Everyone see the Rasta colourway Phil hubs?

Old 07-17-18, 01:27 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Zippy!! Long time no see.
Fred Natural

Old 07-17-18, 01:38 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
The price increase is annoying, but we still easily save the cost of the subscription on shipping and then some, plus we use the streaming video service pretty frequently so Bezos has my money for the long haul.
I'm paid thru December 2018, so I'll use it as long as I've got it. I went to Hole Foods last week and the checker invited me to "scan my Amazon QR code" for Amazon Rewards on my purchase, or some such thing, which I did. Hole Foods did pretty OK in the beer department, IME, but part of that good reputation (in my reckoning, anyway) was pre-Amazon, and recent changes have not been totally positive. Still, I buy a few items there.

As an aside, since this thread is full of them, some months ago a friend was using Lyft, and it happened his driver was a regional manager for Hole Foods. Supposedly his in-laws were visiting, so he decided it would be better to earn a few bucks while driving, rather than hang with the in-laws. In any case, he was quite open, "I work there but I never shop there. Too expensive..." Not good to my way of thinking, like a restaurant where the employees can't afford to eat there.

Regarding Amazon, they do seem to intentionally slow the speed of shipping for non-prime orders. While a Prime customer, I will admit to nickel-and-diming them by ordering one item at a time-- I just got some sun sleeves the other day doing that-- but as long as I'm patient, I can amass a critical mass of $35 or whatever for free shipping and wait. I hardly ever watch Prime Video anymore, all I really care about is free shipping.
Old 07-17-18, 01:57 PM
BillyD
Administrator

It seems they are using this to try and clear out a lot of stuff no one wants to buy.
wut

They got alexa echoes for $70 instead of 100; alexa dots for $30 instead of 50 . . . . and I just started looking.

#differentstrokesfordifferentfolks
Old 07-17-18, 01:59 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Heathpack

No one posts in the Masters Racing forum anymore,
How come?
Old 07-17-18, 02:04 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
How come?
Too much pie?
Old 07-17-18, 02:10 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

How come?
Not sure. I'm assuming its declining participation in forums in general, combined with the fact that the Master's Racing Forum even exists (being split off from the rest of the racing forum makes it naturally a smaller group of people who participate, then when overall forum participation decreases that makes it not enough of a critical mass anymore to have a meaningful conversation). Plus maybe an overall decline in bike racing, older masters aging out of racing/moving on to other interests and not being replaced because there's generally fewer people racing.

??? Maybe. But I don't really know.

The people I know from there who don't post any more:
1. died
2. no longer interested in racing x 5-6
3. banned
4. injury, can't race any more
5. still racing but tired of Bike Forums BS
6. retired, still racing but not at a computer as much
7. didn't want to me the only one posting and essentially talking to herself (that's me)
Old 07-17-18, 02:13 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

I'll be eligible for master's racing in just over 3 years, then I'll participate in that forum!
Old 07-17-18, 02:27 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

wut

They got alexa echoes for $70 instead of 100; alexa dots for $30 instead of 50 . . . . and I just started looking.

#differentstrokesfordifferentfolks
I'm holding the line at no AI listening to my every word in this house.

They really want you to have those; giving a discount is kinda funny. I bet they'd be perfectly happy to give them away free if people would pinky-swear to use them.
Old 07-17-18, 02:30 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

For non-masters racing, I was finally ready to race tonight for the first time this year, but a line of summer storms just rolled in and everything's canceled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.