Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A recent study found that drivers viewed cyclists wearing a helmet or safety vest as

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

A recent study found that drivers viewed cyclists wearing a helmet or safety vest as

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 06:35 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So again what is your personal opinion on this extremely weak study grantelmwood ? What is the point of the link are you for the study, against the study do you agree, disagree? Do you have any opinions of your own? Are you just trying out your copy and paste skills?
It's not complicated.
This is a bike forum
I posted a news study about biking,
That's how a forum works.
You sound like mentally ill or profoundly dumb?
Old 06-28-23, 06:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
It's not complicated.
This is a bike forum

forum: "a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."
Old 06-28-23, 07:55 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Very possible I don't use Outlook, Thunderbird was my preferred email client but now I just log in on the website.

Even then at least you had an intro it wasn't just a straight copy paste.
You don't seem to object when your favorite comrades repeatedly cut and paste or "I-B-T-L," or suspect a sock puppet, or old posts from other threads, and other inane or rote BS, griping about posts and badgering posters who don't share the conventional cycling wisdom as determined by BF's self-appointed mavens of cycling correctness.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-28-23, 11:57 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
It's not complicated.
This is a bike forum
It's not complicated correct. A forum works with people discussing things, not people just copy and pasting an article and walking away. That is called a news aggregator, those are fine but we come here to discuss bikes.

Thanks for the personal attack. It illustrates my point even more you have no substance. You still haven't talked about your article all you had was silly personal attacks. I gave you useful suggestions again and you just went off the deep end.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You don't seem to object when your favorite comrades repeatedly cut and paste or "I-B-T-L," or suspect a sock puppet, or old posts from other threads, and other inane or rote BS, griping about posts and badgering posters who don't share the conventional cycling wisdom as determined by BF's self-appointed mavens of cycling correctness.
The biggest difference is it is not a new thread they are creating. People posting stupid stuff like that is what it is if you start creating a thread on it with just that it gets old quickly. You seem to miss my point here but it's OK. My issue is with people just posting a single news article in a new thread with no context from them especially when they just posted about the very same topic not that long ago. That would have been a place for the article but still most people wouldn't post an article with no personal opinion or breakdown of it on their own. Even some text that is their own introducing it.
Old 06-28-23, 01:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

My issue is with people just posting a single news article in a new thread with no context from them especially when they just posted about the very same topic not that long ago.
Yeah sure sure, but it seems you post an objection about alleged improper posting etiquette and lack of "substance" and badger only those posters whose views don't meet your approval.

I won't hold my breath waiting for you to object when your BF buddies make pretend they are subject matter moderators and post silly stuff in order to belittle or insult other posters with over the top snark.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-28-23, 02:18 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So it's wrong to respond to your "side note"?

You made a comment about advocates, I think their position has evolved a bit.

I have no idea if people associate being kitted with being assertive and that's why drivers dehumanize them and are therefore hostile. That's way too speculative (how many logic leaps?) to merit much discussion as far as I'm concerned.
In the area I live now kitted out biker are often referred to as "Spandex jerks" even with casual bike riders. Between riding two abreast on roads to hold up traffic then blowing stops. Jumping on sidewalk at stop lights then back on road once around the lights To riding above the speed limit on bike paths passing too close to people at high speeds blowing stops signs etc. This seems to be a local thing. When I lived just 100 miles north you didn't see these actions.

I did see a deputy sheriff turn up a bike path and stop 5 kitted bikers they ran through a stop at a road crossing running 25ish . The deputy was chewing them out for weaving around children and old people as I rode by
Old 06-28-23, 02:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
In the area I live now kitted out biker are often referred to as "Spandex jerks" even with casual bike riders. Between riding two abreast on roads to hold up traffic then blowing stops. Jumping on sidewalk at stop lights then back on road once around the lights To riding above the speed limit on bike paths passing too close to people at high speeds blowing stops signs etc. This seems to be a local thing. When I lived just 100 miles north you didn't see these actions.

I did see a deputy sheriff turn up a bike path and stop 5 kitted bikers they ran through a stop at a road crossing running 25ish . The deputy was chewing them out for weaving around children and old people as I rode by
Honestly, I think this is a different concept from what is supposedly being tested in the OP article. The "dehumanization" they were claiming centered on helmets and reflective vests, hardly the kind of kit I think you're describing.. I think you're describing outright hostility aimed at people because of the gear they wear which they associate with bad cyclist behavior. I don't think that relates much to whether or not that looks like a person to the driver.

I agree that a lot of this stuff is very local, btw.
Old 06-28-23, 03:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Yeah sure sure, but it seems you post an objection about alleged improper posting etiquette and lack of "substance" and badger only those posters whose views don't meet your approval.

I won't hold my breath waiting for you to object when your BF buddies make pretend they are subject matter moderators and post silly stuff in order to belittle or insult other posters with over the top snark.
It seems like you still don't get it. You are still harping on these "BF buddies" thing when that is not at all the reason for what I said. If you can't comprehend something ask questions that will help you comprehend. I am happy to answer your questions so you get what I am saying.

I have tried to help Grant in the past but it seems like they are here to troll and not much else. You can call it what you will but if you remember one of his first threads he went off on everyone including those who agreed with him and just set a really poor tone throughout even when people tried to help him. If you like that type of behavior I guess this guy is your guy, your "BF buddy".
Old 06-28-23, 04:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

It seems like you still don't get it. You are still harping on these "BF buddies" thing when that is not at all the reason for what I said. If you can't comprehend something ask questions that will help you comprehend. I am happy to answer your questions so you get what I am saying.

I have tried to help Grant in the past but it seems like they are here to troll and not much else. You can call it what you will but if you remember one of his first threads he went off on everyone including those who agreed with him and just set a really poor tone throughout even when people tried to help him. If you like that type of behavior I guess this guy is your guy, your "BF buddy".
I "get" what you are saying.

"Remembering" a poster's previous comments on another thread does not justify or excuse badgering him about what you consider an alleged lack of appropriate "substance" on a post in this thread.

Perhaps you should review this post and your own on this thread in order "to get it." https://www.bikeforums.net/22935702-post26.html
Old 06-28-23, 04:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I "get" what you are saying.

"Remembering" a poster's previous comments on another thread does not justify or excuse badgering him about what you consider an alleged lack of appropriate "substance" on a post in this thread.

Perhaps you should review this post and your own on this thread in order "to get it." https://www.bikeforums.net/22935702-post26.html
Ok you don't know the poster and still seem to be missing things, cool! You have been away form the forums or put blinders on or something that is fine maybe you should consider doing a tiny bit of research before continuing.

I got what I am saying, I don't need other posts to understand things. I know the poster I know what they are doing I have seen the posts they have created and I said what I said. I notice you haven't gone after anyone else so maybe you really don't understand and really have zero interest in it and just want to argue, I like arguing to I get it but I would want to at least try to understand things first.

Please if you have a comment on what I actually said go for it. I wasn't being nasty or mean (I wasn't necessarily being super nice though but not a requirement ever) I provided helpful suggestions and if you don't care for them then provide some of your own. If you can't that is fine too, sometimes it is just fun to sit back and watch the airplanes fly overhead
Old 06-28-23, 05:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Instead of arguing about posts, the nature or style of posts, or the folks who post, why not actually discuss the issues raised?

It seem that some are unhappy with OP's link offered without comment. Earlier, I mentioned that I sometimes will post a link with a minimal comment, like "offered without comment...." and apparently that seems OK.

Here the OP went father, and included a brief synopsis so we could know more before using the link. Can we, for the sake of moving forward, accept that actually offering no opinion is functionally equal to saying you're not offering an opinion.

IME the hardest part of being in this forum is dealing with some of the self appointed forum cops. (please note the plural)

To the OP, next time preempt the cops by adding something like "this seems interesting.....what do you think?"

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-28-23 at 07:23 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-28-23, 09:23 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Hilarious to me that we're caught up here by whether or not the link needed additional commentary rather than, as has been mentioned, the fact that the exact same link was already posted and discussed within the week.
Old 06-28-23, 10:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

TIL, don't wear a "safety vest" in Australia.
Old 06-28-23, 10:08 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Honestly, I think this is a different concept from what is supposedly being tested in the OP article. The "dehumanization" they were claiming centered on helmets and reflective vests, hardly the kind of kit I think you're describing.. I think you're describing outright hostility aimed at people because of the gear they wear which they associate with bad cyclist behavior. I don't think that relates much to whether or not that looks like a person to the driver.

I agree that a lot of this stuff is very local, btw.
I live in a city with 2 colleges bunch of young well off people. That act entitled. Ride like they own everything. It generates this kind of feeling/ reaction
Old 06-28-23, 10:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I live in a city with 2 colleges bunch of young well off people. That act entitled. Ride like they own everything. It generates this kind of feeling/ reaction
I ride in a lot of college towns. Often, the cyclists are actually quite orderly because bicycles are so much of the traffic. Like I said, very local.
Old 06-28-23, 11:32 PM
plumberroy

I ride in a lot of college towns. Often, the cyclists are actually quite orderly because bicycles are so much of the traffic. Like I said, very local.
Agreed that it's local . both colleges have medical schools . young doctors and students planning to be a Doctor tend to have an attitude. I know this from working in a Level one trauma center for 15 years . They tend to mellow after a few years
Old 06-29-23, 07:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Agreed that it's local . both colleges have medical schools . young doctors and students planning to be a Doctor tend to have an attitude. I know this from working in a Level one trauma center for 15 years . They tend to mellow after a few years

I've done a lot of riding and driving in and around Amherst, MA, where there are 5 different Universities and colleges very close to each other. Bikes are ubiquitous, and for the most part, both the cyclists and the drivers are really predictable and safe there. The one notable exception seems to me to be parents from out of town who aren't used to yielding to cyclists when the law demands it.
Old 06-29-23, 07:28 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Instead of arguing about posts, the nature or style of posts, or the folks who post, why not actually discuss the issues raised?
Thank you, but it's best to ignore all self-appointed forum cops who can't simply keep quiet and let people discuss things. This is a case for using the ignore feature on the forum. This way, you filter out distracting posts that interrupt the actual news link discussion at hand.

Last edited by grantelmwood; 06-29-23 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-29-23, 09:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Thank you, but it's best to ignore all self-appointed forum cops who can't simply keep quiet and let people discuss things. This is a case for using the ignore feature on the forum. This way, you filter out distracting posts that interrupt the actual news link discussion at hand.

That's fine, let's actually discuss it.

Here's the actual study: /www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1369847823001018

This is a forced choice survey with a non-random, non-blinded sample that produces a result that is essentially meaningless. If you look at the photographs that are being compared, if I were a subject, I'd really have no idea what the question being asked (paraphrased in the article as select the image they thought looked less human) actually means, only that I have to make a choice in a few seconds. The photos are of people in T-shirts standing next to a flat bar bike, wearing or not wearing helmets and/or yellow reflective vests. They got a couple of these combinations to score somewhat lower than chance on the "humanness" scale, but so what? Here are some of the pictures:

In preparation for this, they were shown this "insectoid scale" to indicate what more or less human looked like:

Strikes me that the obvious flaw is that they're really asking whether a bare head or a ball cap looks less like an insect shell than a helmet does and doing a similar comparison between an ugly as hell vest and a natural fiber T shirt.

The sample, BTW, is people who clicked on a link on Facebook, with the title of the survey explicitly stating what was being tested. So much for controlling for bias.

But let's just ignore how weak this design is and assume they're right. What are you supposed to do with that information? I have no idea how much a slight decrease in my humanness affects my risk, but I suspect it's not by much at all and, I have no idea why I wouldn't assume that that risk increase wouldn't likely be outweighed by the increase in risk I'd get from stopping my helmet use.

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-29-23 at 09:54 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-29-23, 11:38 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

It's funny not once in this thread have you discussed things about that link. What are your thoughts on it, if you do have some?

I am genuinely curious to hear what you or others think on this study more particularly the safety vests being applied to say road construction workers as I talked about in the first post. Do you think that potentially they could be considered less human for wearing it? Or on the flip side, If they just presented someone in a safety vest with out the contextualization of cycling, would they have the same opinion?

Instead of the silly argument over whether one should post an opinion on an online forum designed around sharing opinions or the personal attacks, why not actually discuss the topic you presented? Seems a novel concept, I know but would be more interesting than the former.
Old 06-29-23, 11:44 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
I've done a lot of riding and driving in and around Amherst, MA, where there are 5 different Universities and colleges very close to each other. Bikes are ubiquitous, and for the most part, both the cyclists and the drivers are really predictable and safe there. The one notable exception seems to me to be parents from out of town who aren't used to yielding to cyclists when the law demands it.
I was at UMass for so long they basically through me out. Amherst was great, the UMass and 5-college buses made intermediate trips/walks a lot easier. I preferred rides up into the hills on the east (Quabbin/202 etc) even though the ones toward the Berkshires were higher and better, you had to cross the whole valley just to get started.
Likes For Roughstuff:
Old 06-29-23, 12:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Roughstuff
I was at UMass for so long they basically through me out. Amherst was great, the UMass and 5-college buses made intermediate trips/walks a lot easier. I preferred rides up into the hills on the east (Quabbin/202 etc) even though the ones toward the Berkshires were higher and better, you had to cross the whole valley just to get started.

I live in Nashua and my son lives in Amherst. I've done the round trip bike ride between them several times. The ride on Amherst Rd. is a hell of a lot more fun into Amherst than away from it. 202 really is a beautiful ride about those parts, and I've never had any trouble with the drivers on that road.
Old 06-29-23, 12:53 PM
plumberroy

Not disagreeing . I used to live 100 miles north of here in a very rural area bicyclist and drivers both had different better mind set. But it's the same thing down here with cars 60-70 % of *$$h@le drivers are driving asian brand cars . Mazda and Nissan are the worst . Get out of the metro area and that isn't the case
And yes I am just wired so that I noticed stuff like that
Old 06-29-23, 01:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Not disagreeing . I used to live 100 miles north of here in a very rural area bicyclist and drivers both had different better mind set. But it's the same thing down here with cars 60-70 % of *$$h@le drivers are driving asian brand cars . Mazda and Nissan are the worst . Get out of the metro area and that isn't the case
And yes I am just wired so that I noticed stuff like that

Interesting how much our perceptions vary, I think it's just likely the drivers are different where we are. I find the problematic drivers around here to be more likely to be driving pickups and SUVs than other vehicles. That said, about a month ago, I had a driver of a pickup hold up traffic to let me through a construction zone on a state road, absolutely courteous as could be.
Old 06-29-23, 02:08 PM
plumberroy

Interesting how much our perceptions vary, I think it's just likely the drivers are different where we are. I find the problematic drivers around here to be more likely to be driving pickups and SUVs than other vehicles. That said, about a month ago, I had a driver of a pickup hold up traffic to let me through a construction zone on a state road, absolutely courteous as could be.
I really don't think we Vary as much as you think. I have lived all over the south and Midwest You get out of THIS metro area and it's a totally different attitude . And want-to-be country boy in decked out 4 wheel drives that have never been off road are right behind the Asian car drivers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.