Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I Saw the Witch Doctor Today!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 03:33 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I probably should not poke fun at him--especially as professional as he was. Seemed to be taking the right approach trying to eliminate the ongoing swelling and inflammation joint issues. I liked that he took the time to really listen and understand how much I need to get back on the bike. He explained that he wanted to start conservatively and see if that would not take care of the issues.

I asked him the loaded question about how long it was going to take to get back to "normal". He actually provided a response. It wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear but hopefully in a couple more months I can be "back to normal". Let's see--November to April would be 4+ months of less than full strength.

That leaves very little time for training for mountain rides but heck I'll take it right now.

I got a cortisteriod shot in the right knee to see if it will speed up it's healing. I also gave them LOTs of blood to build baselines. Veins in neither arm would cooperate---it was not a pretty sight. Poking, repoking, blood coming out, etc.
Old 02-08-11, 03:55 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Eager to hear in a day of so if the corticosteroid shot helped.
Old 02-08-11, 04:04 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have had two occasions when I could not get back to cycling for around 6 months. Like you I was back on the bike as soon as possible but it took those 6 months before I could say the cycle riding was beginning to work. I used those 6 months to just keep mobilty progressing.

After the first one-The bypass- it was 4 months before the chest would take a 40 miler. Organised ride so plenty of Backup if I had a problem- but if I knew how hard that ride was going to be- I would have trained for it.

1 year on and I was just getting back to fitness and the 2nd problem hit. It may seem a long time but two years later and I did the hardest Ride that we have in the UK. And It was Hard----But I did it.

The only way I could get back to doing that hard ride was to train for it once I was able to. You are still in the recovery mode so take it just a bit gentle on what you try to achieve. Only problem is that you are still at a low base on Bodily fitness. It will not allow you to do what you were able to last year. You may not recover fully till the end of the summer but you will recover. And if you plan that recovery properly- You will be stronger and fitter than you have ever been. I know I was.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-08-11, 07:12 PM
Bare Feet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
: )

I'm glad you found a doc that listens and cares. I think his approach sounds reasonable. Will you be able to follow the doctor's 'orders'? Think of like this: the less you do now, the more you'll do later. Yes, hopefully, lots more!