Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Which would you choose...2007 Dahon Speed P7 or 2011 Dahon Eco 7?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Which would you choose...2007 Dahon Speed P7 or 2011 Dahon Eco 7?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-13, 10:37 AM
m_mcgovern

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which would you choose...2007 Dahon Speed P8 or 2011 Dahon Eco 7?

I am in the market for a folding bike as I will be starting a job that will require commute each way by train + 2mi bike ride, mostly flat. In an ideal world, I would plunk down $$ for a nice new folding bike (I especially like the internal hubs so there is no chance of a derailleur getting wacked by a train conductor or other passenger). But money is tight and is why I am looking at taking this job in the first place which requires this kind of commute. And while it is not necessary, I would like a bike that could be used for more than just the 2 mile commute each way. I think having a bike that I could easily fold up and take in the trunk would encourage more weekend rides than dragging out the 4-bike hitch for my run-of-the mill big-box store mountain bike (Diamondback Wildwood). I would prefer 20" wheels over 26" and 16".

With that said, I have found a few used bikes that I think fit the bill, a 2011-ish Dahon ECO 7 (or 6? or 3?) and a 2007 Dahon Speed P8. The ECO is ~ $250-$300, and the P8 is ~ $375-$425. The ECO comes with rack and fenders, the P7, just a rack (I would be adding fenders, so there is an additional cost there). The P8 is at the high end of what I want to pay. I'd prefer to pay less. Now, here are the questions:

1) Are both of those price ranges in line with the assumption that both bikes are in good working condition and free from major problems, blemishes, etc? I see ECO7s on sale new for around $400. Speed P8s are selling for about $700new , but back in 2007 they were probably closer to the current used price....so how good of a deal is it?

2) Does the 2011 ECO7 have an built-in frame/handlebar stem/?? advantage due to design improvements over the 2007 P8 because it is 4 years younger (i.e. discounting the easily replaceable components)?

3) Do either of these models have known design problems/recalls?

4) Which would you choose and why?

5) Does anyone have a good used folding bike with internal hub they want to sell to me for $300 <cough> Tern P7i <cough> Dahon Vitesse <cough>

Thanks!

Last edited by m_mcgovern; 06-02-13 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-01-13, 11:31 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not easy. If your main use is commute on train and you are going to do that a lot I would personally look for a Dahon Curve. I fear the 20" wheels on the other bikes are going to feel big and bulky on the train, especially if you travel when most peopel do. https://www.google.no/search?q=dahon...a&channel=fflb
Old 06-02-13, 06:07 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Both of these prices would be just a little high in my area. I don't know the ECO but Boardwalks a few years old (with gears) can typically be found for $150ish . As far as the P7, Max price I would pay for a 2007` excellent sample would be $300. For example I bought a used speed TR for 450 linked below is a speed pro asking 499! These are up models from the P7. If these bikes were the ONLY choices I would buy the older up model bike (assuming good condition). Get the most bike you can afford. You will enjoy it more and have less trouble.

One thing about it if you buy a used folder at a decent price, you can usually sell it for near the same price. So be aware that what you buy today you can learn what you like and then continue looking for the more ideal bike.

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/bik/3700424150.html (NOT MY BIKE)

As far a a recall or problems, I do not know the specific model but linked here is a the stem recall notice Dahon had a few years ago.
The older model may be a candidate. I would print it out and take the paper with me to look at the bike.

https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/technical/recall.pdf
Old 06-02-13, 02:09 PM
m_mcgovern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
Not easy. If your main use is commute on train and you are going to do that a lot I would personally look for a Dahon Curve. I fear the 20" wheels on the other bikes are going to feel big and bulky on the train, especially if you travel when most peopel do. https://www.google.no/search?q=dahon...a&channel=fflb
I thought about the Curve, but I think 16" wheels would squarely place the bike in a commuter-only category and I am looking for something that would be more versatile than that....but I do admit it would be nice to shed the extra weight that you tend to get with 20" folding bikes.

Originally Posted by zebede
Both of these prices would be just a little high in my area. I don't know the ECO but Boardwalks a few years old (with gears) can typically be found for $150ish . As far as the P7, Max price I would pay for a 2007` excellent sample would be $300. For example I bought a used speed TR for 450 linked below is a speed pro asking 499! These are up models from the P8. If these bikes were the ONLY choices I would buy the older up model bike (assuming good condition). Get the most bike you can afford. You will enjoy it more and have less trouble.
As far a a recall or problems, I do not know the specific model but linked here is a the stem recall notice Dahon had a few years ago.
The older model may be a candidate. I would print it out and take the paper with me to look at the bike.

https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/technical/recall.pdf
Thanks for the thoughts on price...Yes, I am leaning towards the P8, but I would like to pay closer to $300, but I'm not sure the seller will go that low. I will have to see. That is a pretty good price for the TR! That would not last long in my area, I don't think. I have also turned up a 2005/2006 P8, too, that is closer to my price. I was surprised to see that the 2005/06 P8 was 2 lbs lighter than the 2007 and up version. I'm not sure what changed...

Last edited by m_mcgovern; 06-02-13 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Changed P7's to P8s...thanks Hank!
Old 06-02-13, 02:27 PM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by m_mcgovern
... With that said, I have found a few used bikes that I think fit the bill, a 2011-ish Dahon ECO 7 (or 6? or 3?) and a 2007 Dahon Speed P7. ...
Where are you located? I'm pretty sure there is/was no Dahon Speed P7 in the USA. Did you mean a Speed D7, perhaps?

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 06-02-13, 03:16 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...but I do admit it would be nice to shed the extra weight that you tend to get with 20" folding bikes.
I do not agree with this. I would say that you can ride a Curve where you can ride a Brompton, I also found that on muddy roads I prefer the Curves fat tyres over the Bromptons slim.

Only thing may be gearing, bu that can be fixed by adding more gears.

I own both a Curve, a Brompton and several 20" bikes so I can compare. I fear the 20" bike is going to be a hassle for you on the train, that`s all.

I suggest you read up on where peopel ride on Bromptons (since much more is written about the Brompton then the curve), most peopel would be suprised to what they can do.

Is it possible for you to testride some folders in your area? A trip or two on a train or similar would be useful too.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...vs-Curve-SL-XL

https://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.YcOVfYcDKWc
Old 06-02-13, 03:41 PM
m_mcgovern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK
Where are you located? I'm pretty sure there is/was no Dahon Speed P7 in the USA. Did you mean a Speed D7, perhaps?

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Doh! I meant Speed P8 in all of my posts in this thread up to this point. Sorry for the mistake! I will do my best not to repeat it.

I have gone back and edited my posts where possible...thanks Hank!

Last edited by m_mcgovern; 06-02-13 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 05:39 PM
HGR3inOK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
... I meant Speed P8 ...
To quote advice that I was given four years ago when looking for my first folder, "It's hard to go wrong with a Speed P8." IMHO, that's as true now as it was then.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 06-02-13, 06:38 PM
m_mcgovern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did see that on my searches of this forum for P8s...that is one of the reasons I am leaning that way...

Any idea on why the P8 gained 2 lbs after the 2006 version?
Old 06-02-13, 07:03 PM
HGR3inOK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
... Any idea on why the P8 gained 2 lbs after the 2006 version?
Probably due to changes in the seatpost/seat (SDG I-beam to Biologic PostPump) and, maybe, the crankset (Truvativ to Sugino).

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 06-04-13, 02:19 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Speed 8 is a nice folder.
Old 06-04-13, 04:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
... My whole life lays waiting behind door #3" ..
Old 06-04-13, 09:14 PM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speed P8 is a much better bike ...... and I say that while having ecos in stock and no Speed P 8 .... hmmm ?? (will have them in the next 2 weeks though )

thor
Old 06-06-13, 07:01 PM
m_mcgovern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me throw another in the mix. New Tern C7 vs. Used in good shape Speed P8?
Old 06-06-13, 08:34 PM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
speed p 8 over the tern c7 ...... ( I am talking myself out of a sale here I am afraid...lol )
Now Link D 8 is a different Tern and than id take the Link d8
Old 06-06-13, 09:21 PM
hogu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brakemeister
speed p 8 over the tern c7 ...... ( I am talking myself out of a sale here I am afraid...lol )
fwiw, i just bought a used p8 that had the handlepost recall. my lbs got the part for me, and i paid $30 for the install. this is in nyc.

The dahon guys told me that it's the 2008s that have serial numbers starting with D7 (made in 2007) that have the recall, so, you should know that going in.

but the bike is fantastic.
Old 06-07-13, 02:01 PM
m_mcgovern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brakemeister
Thanks for all of the opinions and advice....One last either-or for you. 2007/09 Speed P8 vs. 2007 8 speed MU SL. Any issues with MU SL's that I should be looking for when inspecting ?

Last edited by m_mcgovern; 06-08-13 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-11-13, 10:11 PM
vmaniqui

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
of course speed 8. better parts and quality. what did the OP get ?
Old 06-12-13, 08:27 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mu sl ... fer sure ....
but it all hinges on how good care these bike have received... all of the sudden we are talking about 6 year old folding bikes here, not that there is anything wrong with it but one needs to take care of any problems the former owner has neglected