Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

North Carolina bill to require bicycle registration/fee

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

North Carolina bill to require bicycle registration/fee

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 09:33 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Nope. The States have a big 'reciprocity' thing going on. Legal at home, okay here.
Well then that is different. Sorry NC I no longer care...…..

J/K this is just a dump IMO, this money will never build anything for cyclists.
Old 02-27-19, 10:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
I live in the far NE corner of Tennessee. We often ride from here to Va. and N.C. I know that in the mountains of N.C. there are a lot of cyclists that would not be too keen about this bill.
I'd suggest you write or email the chambers of commerce in Boone, Blowing Rock, Elk Park, etc., and tell them that if this bill passes you'll do your recreational rides in Tennessee, Virginia, and Kentucky. Note how many times you rode in N.C. in the last few years, how much you spent in gas, lodging, and especially food (be generous with your estimate). Let them do the heavy work for you.
Old 02-27-19, 10:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
This article makes a good point to mention to NC drivers--the bill would make DMV even worse to deal with:

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/ne...-fee/925473034

DMV has its hands full dealing with cars.
Old 02-27-19, 11:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
With all the crime going on, do you really want the police out issuing little Susie a ticket for not registering her side walk bike.
Old 02-27-19, 11:38 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
If we bikers want to use roads or MUPS, we should pay for em. Not fair to let the general public pay for our (bikers) convenience.
I pay property, sales and gas taxes. I am already paying for the roads and maintenance.
Old 02-27-19, 12:25 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
I do believe that they've already passed that law here in New Orleans,,,,,, only in Orleans Parish,,,,, that means county in the rest of the United States...
Old 02-27-19, 12:45 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
First registration, then confiscation! As a citizen of these United States, I have a Constitutional right to bear bikes!
When bikes are outlawed, only outlaws will ride bikes.
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a bike is a good guy with a bike.
Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my bike.
They can have my bike when they unclip it from my cold, dead feet.

The right to bear bikes:

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 02-27-19 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-27-19, 12:50 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
I pay property, sales and gas taxes. I am already paying for the roads and maintenance.
My point is merely this: Taxes should at least approximate utility received. That way, no one gets a free ride at another's expense.
Property taxes should pay for stuff related to the property.
The tax on gas should pay for the needs of cars and trucks using the road.
Income tax should pay for stuff that allows us to earn an income.

The tax on gas shouldn't pay for MUPs and bikelanes. Cyclists should. I would make the case that sales tax on the bike doesnt begin to pay for MUPs, bikelanes, police and EMT response for injured cyclists, etc.

If you make the point that property and income and sales tax are coopted by politicians to pay for stuff that has no bearing on anyone's well-being but their own, well, we agree.
Old 02-27-19, 12:50 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Does anyone want to guess what is the current corporate - actually, what it /was/ for 2018 - tax rate in North Carolina?

3-effing-% !!! And they're gonna lower it to 2.5% for 2019! (Three cheers for the US Conservative idea of what is "tax reform"!) This is something you might like to question your local representatives about.

There's where you're coming up short in revenue for cycling infrastructure.

But hey, instead let's screw over cyclists for a tenner... because they can, makes for a good soundbite, etc.
Old 02-27-19, 01:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
On the other hand, it seems to me that if bike registration costs you ten bucks, and you pay it, you have a right to go to your local legislator AND STAND ON HIS OR HER THROAT to get bike lines put in, potholes fixed, dangerous intersections redesigned, MUPS, etc.
We already have that "right." it is already mostly meaningless. This law would sell us the "right" we already have, and the $10 would simply go where all of our complaints go.
Too, as a Conservative I believe in use taxes: taxes should fall on those that use public stuff. So cars should pay a license fee and taxes on gas should pay for roads. If we bikers want to use roads or MUPS, we should pay for em. Not fair to let the general public pay for our (bikers) convenience.
As a person who is not limited by some idiot's definitions (NOT referring to @WizardOfBoz here, but to all the people who invent definitions and categories for the way people think, to further divide the populace and make it easy to fight and raise funds) , I agree wholeheartedly with users paying. And I also have the sense to look at the costs created. Bicycles do Zero road damage. A fleet of bicycles could ride the same paved road until the tectonic plates shifted and the continent disappeared into the crust.

Cars do damage, causing the road to flex on the bed. Trucks are devastating. The forces involved with even gigantic fat cyclists like myself are negligible. And also ... roads are paid out of the general fund because we all eat groceries, use electricity and the sewer system if there is one, get mail, get our trash hauled, send our kids to school, go to work ... in other words, roads are of benefit Generally, even to people who never leave their homes. Gas taxes etc. are ways to raise extra money ... not all of which goes to repairing roads.

But hey ... if we are going straight-up user fees, i am all for it. I do 3,00-5,000 miles per year and even with all the groceries i could ever haul, never weigh a quarter ton or exceed 40 mph. And I never cause gridlock. Let's work out a sliding scale of fiscal impact, and I will shell out my 32 cents a year for my portion of the road damage I do.

A metal license plate is ridiculous. Given gubmint efficiency, it might cost more than ten bucks to stamp out! Should be a tamper-evident sticker with a license number, with additional plastic cards with RFID that you can hide in the seat tube, handlebars, and wheel rim. Initially useless, but if registration hits a critical mass, it might help a little bit with theft recovery and tracking down owners of stolen bikes.
Now you are talking not $10 but Hundreds. Government contracts ... it will cost thousands just to create, announce, accept, and analyze bids for making all that stuff. Whole new agencies would need to be created to track all the new information---and with typical government efficiency, theft reports will probably be received a month after the theft, by which time the bike has a new owner--and the thieves would have removed the RFID card.

of course, removing the card would then be made a crime---and lots of legit cyclists will get busted for changing a seat post and forgetting to swap the card.

Also, as I mentioned above---there won't suddenly be more cops on the street to search for stolen bikes. Right now you can engrave IDs on your electronics, and register their serial numbers and all that, and unless they show up in a local pawn shop and the staff Chooses to check the current list, none of that matters. The stuff stolen in burglaries goes through a fence and out onto the market and Nobody cares because the time and money involved in tracking every stolen VCR (sorry, DVD player) would be astronomical, and the unit can be replaced for a hundred bucks.

No one will care about your stolen bike any more then than they do now. There will not be teams of cops in antenna-studded vans triangulating lost bike signals. If they find a bike that was reported stolen, you might get a phone call ... and the whole system will cost millions by the time every leech in the capitol attaches riders and amendments---and in the end the money will end up going to adding lanes or traffic signals outside new developments, and cyclists will be worse off.
Old 02-27-19, 02:29 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
​​​​​
What!read about Hawaii is that this works because enforcement just requires checking the bike shops for compliance, and no "on the streer" enforcement is done. Basically, its a sales tax on new bikes.

Does anyone actually register the imported bikes? How much is the fee? I know that l wouldn't want the extra trip to the DMV, and would probably skip it if I knew no one was enforcing it.
I have registered 1 of 3 bike I've brought in. It's $15. In theory cops can confiscate a bike that doesn't have a registration sticker on the seat tube. I've never been stopped by a cop here for any reason. I did get turned away at the gate to Naval Station Pearl Harbor for not having a sticker once. That is what motivated me to register the 1/3 bikes I did get from the mainland. You do see in CL ads statements that a bike is papered. Like you say the normal enforcement is that LBS, Walmart, whoever, is required to complete the forms at point of sale and remit to the state.

It costs $5 to transfer a registration to new owner.

scott s.
Old 02-27-19, 03:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
My point is merely this: Taxes should at least approximate utility received. That way, no one gets a free ride at another's expense.

The tax on gas shouldn't pay for MUPs and bikelanes. Cyclists should. I would make the case that sales tax on the bike doesnt begin to pay for MUPs, bikelanes, police and EMT response for injured cyclists, etc.

If you make the point that property and income and sales tax are coopted by politicians to pay for stuff that has no bearing on anyone's well-being but their own, well, we agree.
What if .... roads cost more than was raised by gas taxes? Well, of course, you'd raise gas taxes ... check out how that is working in France.

And considering how much it costs it seems likely that taxing cyclists enough to pay just for painting,. let alone building, bike lanes, would be prohibitive. And as for building bike lanes ... how do we separate the cost of bike lanes from the cost of car lanes on a new road? Income tax is on earned income .... what does it pay for? Cops, firefighters, roads ... politicians. So why should a tax on fuel only pay for roads? After all, it is not a user-fee system. If ti were, only people who needed cops would pay for cops. Only people who had fires would pay for fire fighters.

See any problems there?

How about education? Why should my "property" taxes pay for education? I have no kids in the school system.

Also .... as was mentioned above, businesses frequently get Huge tax breaks .... supposedly because they "create jobs," but anyone who actually pays attention can see how infrequently that happens ... there is plenty of money and influence changing hands, but none of it is adding to tax revenues .... more like revolving door employment for legislators, or campaign support ... "you help us, and we will get you from the state house to congress ... where you can help us more ..."

Concepts are wonderful .... but the world is concrete, not conceptual. I am about sick and tired of being fed wonderful rhetoric about completely unreal and imaginary systems, while being vastly underserved for what i spend. I hear a lot about "Runn government like a business," but in reality, government has no competition, so it is NOT a business. I cannot influence the government by not buying its products. I cannot shop around for a government which provides more value for my dollar, or better customer service to address complaints.

I will Gladly pay taxes for services rendered. Can i get some service, please?

Anyway ... i don' want to get this thread moved. later.
Old 02-27-19, 04:04 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
This guy is simply playing to his voter base. Bikes annoy drivers (the majority of voters) and anything that is environmentally friendly annoys republicans (the voters he needs to keep happy).
Old 02-27-19, 05:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Don't MUPs pay for themselves in taking commuters out of cars which damage roads requiring costly repair bills more more than bikes do?
Old 02-27-19, 07:45 PM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
This guy is simply playing to his voter base. Bikes annoy drivers (the majority of voters) and anything that is environmentally friendly annoys republicans (the voters he needs to keep happy).
Don't cast such a large net. I'm very republican and guarantee I care for, and do more for, the environment than most democrats. Second, I'd be willing to bet that due to the location of where I live, I annoy more democratic drivers than republican. Riding in NJ is miserable.
I'll even go a little further. I recently worked for 6 weeks in TX and told everyone I knew that the drivers north of Houston were the most courteous drivers to cyclists I have ever encountered. Maybe got honked at 2x. Every driver either waited behind me when there was no bike lane/shoulder, moved into the left lane to pass, or the oncoming lane to pass. I left there with a new appreciation for how they treated cyclists and I have ridden in CA, SD, WY, CO, CT, NJ, NY, PA, DE, MD, VA and NC.

Anyway, to not entirely derail the thread. I remember having to do this as a kid. Always went down to the police station to register the bike if the LBS didn't do it upon purchase.
Old 02-28-19, 08:31 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
bought my NC fishing license yesterday (I live in SC). $38 bucks up from last years $36 bucks and the year before that $30 bucks. SC license is $10 bucks

Doubt this bike thing will pass but for sure NC is in your pocket a good bit more than SC is
Old 02-28-19, 09:11 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Collecting the fees and maintaining the records will cost more than the fees, nevermind the cost to enforce the rule. This'd be one of those things where the po-po should speak up and say this is impossible, don't pass this crap bc we're not gonna enforce it.

I'd be curious to hear how much revenue they expect to generate with this.
That was my first thought too.
Old 02-28-19, 09:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Don't MUPs pay for themselves in taking commuters out of cars which damage roads requiring costly repair bills more more than bikes do?
Probably not; the number of commuters in the U.S. who switch their mode of travel from motor vehicle to bicycle due to the presence of MUP(s) (somewhere) along the commuter route probably amounts to an insignificant slice of the commuting population. In a dense urban area like NYC more than likely the bicycling commuter would be switching from public transit, rather than an auto commute.
Old 02-28-19, 09:36 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Nice. Systems thinking. I like it. As above, you'd have to show that MUPs cause drivers to switch to cycles, but I would think that the prospect of a relatively safe MUP vs a dangerous road would do that in some cases. Also: how much does a car damage a road over a year?

On the other hand, cycling uses no fuel, so you decrease the fuel tax revenue used for road maintenance.
Old 02-28-19, 09:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
We talk of build & maintaining roads and bridges. Under an equitable user fees model, here's an additional consideration: somewhere between 50% and 85% (estimates vary) of law enforcement in the USA is dedicated to motor vehicle traffic matters. To the extent that your local police, county sheriff & constables and your state's department of public safety are not self funding, motor vehicle operators should be covering that portion solely expended on their activities. Likewise, any public hospital & emergency care should in part be funded by some sort of motor vehicle taxation.

BTW, 'gas' taxes as a means to pay for motor vehicle user needs are increasingly problematic. Example: the driver of a Corolla pays ~50% more gas tax than the driver of a Prius for pretty much the same benefits. The Leaf driver pays no gas taxes at all. Hmm.

Caveat: at the extreme, a 'user fees' model would turn citizens into serfs, bound to the land and required to buy permission from their government to move about. Surely there's some minimum level of travel access a free society needs to provide to allow 'pursuit' of happiness (IMHO a bridge, tunnel, etc. that does not provide safe passage for anything but motor vehicles fails this standard.)

Last edited by tcs; 02-28-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-28-19, 10:06 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Collecting the fees and maintaining the records will cost more than the fees, never mind the cost to enforce the rule.
Fun fact: beginning in 1917 in the USA, excise taxes were charged on bicycle tires. This was done under the same formula as the taxes imposed at the same time on automotive and truck tires, i.e., by weight of tire (I'm not making this up.) In a 1983 tax overhaul, it was pointed out that 1) it cost substantially more to collect the bicycle tire tax than the revenue the tax brought in, and 2) none of the hypothetical money collected had ever been spent on bicycle accommodation or specific facilities anyway. Over the objections of national bicycle advocacy groups, this tax was eliminated.

Old 02-28-19, 10:32 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by tcs
... motor vehicle operators should be covering that portion solely expended on their activities. Likewise, any public hospital & emergency care should in part be funded by some sort of motor vehicle taxation...

BTW, 'gas' taxes as a means to pay for motor vehicle user needs are increasingly problematic. ...

Caveat: at the extreme, a 'user fees' model would turn citizens into serfs, bound to the land and required to buy permission from their government to move about. Surely there's some minimum level of travel access a free society needs ...
Interesting discussion - thanks. On your last point, I disagree. The cost of roads and stuff have to be paid. The citizenry pays for it, whether by income or property or use (gas, tolls) taxes. If one could find a non-intrusive way to assign taxation based upon use (for example, a yearly tax on each car owned, or per mile driven) this would be no more intrusive or "serf-inducing" than now I think. I mean, I'm with you on being suspicious of the government monitoring and controlling us. Look at China: they're actually using DNA to track folks in a specific Muslim population (the Uighurs) to ensure that they can put them into reeducation camps to rid them of religious belief. Not to mention murdering Christians. So, yeah, controlling your movement within the country would be a first step towards a technocratic authoritarianism. You could do this with a high gas tax (or, let gas prices skyrocket).

On your other points, I think we agree. Gas taxes could be one aspect of user-fees. Own a car? Pay a yearly fee to support road repair and police and EMT support. Could be based on a standard fee, or based upon mileage.

I'm not really wedded to this, it was just spit-ballin' around the idea that folks who benefit from something should pay for it, and folks who don't use it shouldn't be too burdened by taxes for it.

On one point we do agree: good public roads and highways make for an efficient economy. Dwight Eisenhower realized this when he saw the autobahns in Germany, which is why he pushed for our national highway system.

But again, I'm speculatin'. I will repeat: I don't think that legislator's proposing a 10 dollar tax on bikes is solely grounds for campaigning against the guy.
Old 02-28-19, 11:03 AM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
regarding the fishing (and other hunting) licenses: out of state licenses will always be higher than the same licenses will be in your home state, unless there is some kind of agreement between the states, like the fishing licenses in Smoky Mtn park.

regarding the idiotic HB157 bill proposal: after calming down a bit, I sent an email to BikeWalkNC to see if they had any kind of 'generic' letter I could send to the state representatives.
I live in Asheville, have several bicycles, and am truly appalled at HB157.
Is there any kind of 'form letter' available, stating some facts about how this would not work, how it would be a bad idea overall, how it would make the DMV more of a mess than it already is, that I could send to each member of the state house and senate, and perhaps the governor too?
I learned of this bill on bikeforums.net, in this thread:
North Carolina bill to require bicycle registration/fee - Bike Forums
and I'd like to do as much as possible to kill this bill asap.
Please let me know
Thank you.

This was their reply:

We are working on this now. Look for something in the next 24-48 hours after we do some more information gathering on this bill as well as complete streets codification, the removal of the 2013 funding limitation, Safe Routes to School, and the changes to the bicycle definition bill.
Thanks for info; I will keep an eye out for it.
Old 02-28-19, 11:45 AM
tcs
Palmer

So, yeah, controlling your movement within the country would be a first step towards a technocratic authoritarianism. You could do this with...
Uh, yeah, well, I was imagining a reductio ad absurdum of a specific user fee before you could walk from your front step to the store, paying for the creation and maintenance of sidewalks and compensate the government for the ongoing loss of tax revenue due to taking the land used for sidewalks off the tax roles. Even under a user fee model, I believe some minimum level of free movement needs to be provided for out of general revenue. Airbus 380s need to pay their own way; Amish buggies not so much; draw the line in between.
Old 02-28-19, 11:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This is the right approach rather than wringing hands or arguing about it on forums that no representative will ever see.

Originally Posted by hazetguy
regarding the idiotic HB157 bill proposal: after calming down a bit, I sent an email to BikeWalkNC to see if they had any kind of 'generic' letter I could send to the state representatives.

This was their reply:

We are working on this now. Look for something in the next 24-48 hours after we do some more information gathering on this bill as well as complete streets codification, the removal of the 2013 funding limitation, Safe Routes to School, and the changes to the bicycle definition bill.
Organize a polite and courteous protest ride to the state capitol or past Representative Jeffrey Elmore's home. Make sure the media knows about the protest ride.

Call the newspapers. Make sure the media knows that this discriminates against poor people who ride bikes to work.

Show up at the state house in Spandex. Walk into your reps office in cleats and ask to speak to the representative.

Act up. Make a noise.

Remember that complaining and arguing here doesn't do anything.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.