Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Old 02-23-19, 11:56 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Speaking of weight, I got some new shoes today. Non-Sidi, without the heavy insole. 248g lighter for the pair, so about half a pound. Not sure how it'll affect me (pre-Sidi I ran 76g pedals with very light shoes, and it didn't help me too much) but at least I won't have the shoes as an excuse.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-24-19, 06:50 AM
denvertrout

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just got some new wheels and am also going tubeless. Yoeleo 50mm up front and 60mm in the back. Conti 5000tl, went on pretty easy and holding air with minimal loss. Have yet to ride with tubeless due to weather and work schedule. Excited to give this a try. Definitely faster wheels than my old Mavic CC40's.
Old 02-24-19, 07:57 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I ordered a set of those 5000tl for when the new road bike shows up. Good reviews and the 4000sii has been my go to tire for years, so figure it's worth a shot. Especially now that I'll have tubeless rims again.
Old 02-25-19, 11:47 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
When aero wheels and low spoke count wheels started to take over there was only mention of all-up weight of a wheelset. Rim weight was never mentioned. Mr. Zinn came up with a way to compare the inertia of one wheel to another: a slender, long threaded rod was attached to the ceiling, the wheel was bolted firmly to the bottom of the rod with the rod taking up the place of the axle. The wheel was rotated 90 degrees and the number of back and forth cycles was noted. Heavier rim equals more cycles.
Even time trialing at a "constant speed" a racer is trying to accelerate his bike twice with each crank revolution. Excuse me if this is obvious but no test data ever takes this into account. I ride on roads in good condition for the most part, and the only thing I have ever noticed about "bigger, faster, better rolling" tires is their increased weight.
That rig was the one I was referencing in my post where we beat out everyone else in the test. It made no difference in people's purchasing habits.

Old 02-27-19, 12:16 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on Etap; the shifting on my bike has been problematic the past few years; causing one crash and a few near misses. At the core is the difference between my race and training wheels which can't be perfectly switched out and tuned without a limit change. It can get 'close' with a barrel adjustment but far from perfect. The micro adjusting of etap should help.

I'm afraid to sprint because of that shifting issue, several times when shifting the chain doesn't grab the cog and the pedal 'slips'.

I'm probably going to have to get new wheels, @Psimet2001 whats the best way to ensure I get something that aligns with my race wheels?
Old 02-27-19, 12:25 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I just pulled the trigger on Etap; the shifting on my bike has been problematic the past few years; causing one crash and a few near misses. At the core is the difference between my race and training wheels which can't be perfectly switched out and tuned without a limit change. It can get 'close' with a barrel adjustment but far from perfect. The micro adjusting of etap should help.

I'm afraid to sprint because of that shifting issue, several times when shifting the chain doesn't grab the cog and the pedal 'slips'.

I'm probably going to have to get new wheels, @Psimet2001 whats the best way to ensure I get something that aligns with my race wheels?
The best way right out of the box is to get the same hub/freewheel setup. If they are rim brake then most likely they will be close as it is.

Regardless you can use thin shims to get everything exact and repeatable if need be. Most shift systems now are close enough and like you mention - you can micro-adjust e-tap while riding in the drops.

Old 02-27-19, 12:38 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts

I have Etap WiFly. I had a problem with the rear sleeping and SRAM replaced it. It was good for a couple of months and they it started to sleep. I was going to send it back and it is now okay. Yours may be newer and perfectly fine. I am not sure about the current rear I have.

When it works, I like it a lot and it is easy to adjust.
Old 02-27-19, 12:55 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts

what's the point of training wheels? You can get good carbon wheels for the same price as alum training wheels almost. And the carbon wheels can last a long, long time.
Old 02-27-19, 12:56 PM
Radish_legs

Does anyone think Vittoria's claim on their new tire could be true? If so, it is a game changer.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/02/bik...nforcer_483748
Old 02-27-19, 01:06 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Does anyone think Vittoria's claim on their new tire could be true? If so, it is a game changer.

No I don't. The rep didn't say 5 words about it 2 weeks ago when talking at CABDA.

I am sure I will glue up a few this early season and we'll see. Rather others will see. I will just glue them and ask questions at this point.

Old 02-27-19, 01:12 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts

1 minute and 20 seconds over 50K is a lot. It could be true if the reduce Crr enough. But then everyone will have these so it will float all boats except the racers who think that the best racer always wins and equipment does not matter.
Old 02-27-19, 01:26 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Hermes

1 minute and 20 seconds over 50K is a lot. It could be true if the reduce Crr enough. But then everyone will have these so it will float all boats except the racers who think that the best racer always wins and equipment does not matter.
Didn't bother reading it - missed that it's a Crr reduction claim. Meh. Won't change anyone's placings in any race around here (meaning no it isn't a 1:20 improvement). Want to try it then get a set and run some trials. I'll wait for the 1:20 improvement just from the tires. Until then - it's all about the person who biases the numbers.

Old 02-27-19, 02:07 PM
Radish_legs

I switched from 23mm conti 4000 on front, and 23mm Schwalbe on back with butyl tubes, to 25mm conti 4000 + latex tubes. Felt like a huge difference in rolling speed to me. But maybe just mental. I'm convinced tires make a significant difference, between good and bad tires/tubes.
Old 02-27-19, 02:07 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Did any of the aeropod makers ever resolve the issue of not being able to use a Wahoo product?

I'd be tempted to try out a Velocomp for live CDA, but don't want to purchase and mount a separate cheapo used Garmin device somewhere just to display CDA.

I could. It'd be between my arms anyway. Just sayin.

I'm about to ditch the free HED basebar I was given for something that'll allow me more adjust-ability to try out some high hands, cup angles, and stuff.
Old 02-27-19, 02:34 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Hermes
I have Etap WiFly. I had a problem with the rear sleeping and SRAM replaced it. It was good for a couple of months and they it started to sleep. I was going to send it back and it is now okay. Yours may be newer and perfectly fine. I am not sure about the current rear I have.

When it works, I like it a lot and it is easy to adjust.
Upon my countless hours of research on etap I've heard the issue isn't common but happens often. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen here.

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
The best way right out of the box is to get the same hub/freewheel setup. If they are rim brake then most likely they will be close as it is.

Regardless you can use thin shims to get everything exact and repeatable if need be. Most shift systems now are close enough and like you mention - you can micro-adjust e-tap while riding in the drops.
That's the plan going forward, next bike will probably be a disc setup and I'm going with the same company for race and training wheels. I'll have to talk to my mechanic about the shims.

what's the point of training wheels? You can get good carbon wheels for the same price as alum training wheels almost. And the carbon wheels can last a long, long time.
Its not that you need training wheels per se, its more that you need training tires and its easier to swap out wheels than changing tires. I get a flat every 200 miles when goathead season is in full force if I'm not riding the Gatorskins.
Old 02-27-19, 02:44 PM
furiousferret

I switched from 23mm conti 4000 on front, and 23mm Schwalbe on back with butyl tubes, to 25mm conti 4000 + latex tubes. Felt like a huge difference in rolling speed to me. But maybe just mental. I'm convinced tires make a significant difference, between good and bad tires/tubes.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...d-bike-reviews I use as the gold standard (may or may not be) and yes you're right. GP5ks with latex tubes are probably somewhere around 25 watts faster than Gatorskins with butyl.
Old 02-27-19, 03:14 PM
Radish_legs

Upon my countless hours of research on etap I've heard the issue isn't common but happens often. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen here.

That's the plan going forward, next bike will probably be a disc setup and I'm going with the same company for race and training wheels. I'll have to talk to my mechanic about the shims.

Its not that you need training wheels per se, its more that you need training tires and its easier to swap out wheels than changing tires. I get a flat every 200 miles when goathead season is in full force if I'm not riding the Gatorskins.
Hmm, conti 4000s are very long lived in my area. But we don't deal with goatheads. We deal with potholes and cement cracks.
Old 02-27-19, 03:43 PM
furiousferret

They suck. Out of every 10 flats, 9 are goatheads.
Old 02-27-19, 09:51 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Moved to goat head territory. I hate every flat all spring and fall
I'm excited about the new vittoria mtb tires. They're really good and people discount them since maxxis and shwalbe are so popular
Old 03-09-19, 05:40 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Moved to goat head territory. I hate every flat all spring and fall
Where?
I know of no road tire that will resist a Goat Head. The good news is most sealant will seal it.

A few racers will pre-seal with Stans around SoCal. It depends a bit on the race and support.
Old 03-10-19, 04:39 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Doge
Where?
I know of no road tire that will resist a Goat Head. The good news is most sealant will seal it.

A few racers will pre-seal with Stans around SoCal. It depends a bit on the race and support.
Northern Utah. Since I'm jumping on all the 2019 trends (Disc brake, tubeless, big tires, (gravel bike...)) I'm hoping the sealant is going to help out. I used to run tubeless a couple years ago to great success but the wheels I moved onto weren't compatible. Since I'm running discs now a days I figure I'm pretty much committed at this point
Old 03-14-19, 11:02 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Timely post on FB from a friend today:

The pedal in, my first outdoor ride of the new season, was fantastic. I had a moment of doubt about my fitness, because the unrelenting gloom of power-based training and always striving to hit numbers does that to you if you let it, and I think that we all do.

Old 03-14-19, 12:31 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Timely post on FB from a friend today:

Real video of me at the beginning of march when I could ride my bike outside again.
Old 03-14-19, 04:30 PM
furiousferret

Just upgraded my bike to eTap and added a 52/36 as well since I never needed the bottom end of a 50/34 at race weight. I know a lot of people will make a big deal about cadences, and how a 50/34 is fine, but really I want the 52 for that slightly quicker burst to close gaps or get up to speed descending.

I still may have to go to a 50/34, especially since I hope to do Everest Challenge.

The eTap is pretty nice so far, but all groupsets are nice on day 1.
Old 03-30-19, 05:32 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Frustrated with wet lube mess, bought spare chains and a crock and ultrasonic cleaner.

Giving wax a shot for a while.

Any efficiency improvements is just a nice side effect.

I will report back later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.